Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #29
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
That is my thought as well, however the statement made by some who actually have carbon rotors/pads are stating different and I wanted to here their actual testimony. Do you have a Z/28 with full carbon braking system?
Yep!

Dust in minimal, which is great. I dont really care one way or the other about dust. If the brakes work, and work well, that is all that matters to me. Let me be clear, CCB brakes do NOT dust the way normal systems do. But, they will in fact leave dust..its the nature of a brake system. The benefits of repeated track use without fade/resistance to heat etc..and as a bonus, longevity of street use..is what counts.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #30
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
When I listened, then repeated the section about the 1LE package, he says the gave 1LE to V6 and V8 Cars, then the ZL1 came out and they said ok now lets give the 1LE option to "it" - "we all know what it people wanted it to be called, but the Z28 history is NA". Then he went on to say that the ZL1 with 650 hp is no slouch - and the ZL1 1LE is the ultimate track version of "it". then went on about ceramics being just cost and marketing.

I take the careful placement of "it" in both places to give them the future options to produce a Z28, if they feel it is warranted for business reasons. If they don't sell the 750 per year ZL1's, then likely no Z28 business case exists. So at that point only thing that creates platform for Z28 is the development of a new DOHC, 4 valve NA motor for Corvette and Z28 and future Gen 7 Camaro's.

So hope for the next Z28 is not dead, but it would be an expensive car with a very thin market, likely filled up with ZL1 1LE cars. So if in need of a track car your best choices for now are get a ZL1 1LE or go buy a used Z28. Both good options, and frankly the Z28 being a much better bang for the buck!

Time will tell, but no downside to owning a Z28 - if they don't make the new one, the one you have gets all that much more collectible down the line, if the do make one, you have the best bang for the buck track car until then and still own one of 1,801 Gen 5 Z28's ever built. Given how special this car is and the low numbers and likly the last of the LS7 cars, this has a pretty good basis for being a future collectible and you get to drive it and enjoy it until that proves true or not!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #31
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
The LS7 is toast, no way it is coming back unless it is a DI version based on the LT1. We need the ZL1 1LE car with a Katech 7.0L. Now we'd be talking... (at great expense!)
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #32
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
Yep!

Dust in minimal, which is great. I dont really care one way or the other about dust. If the brakes work, and work well, that is all that matters to me. Let me be clear, CCB brakes do NOT dust the way normal systems do. But, they will in fact leave dust..its the nature of a brake system. The benefits of repeated track use without fade/resistance to heat etc..and as a bonus, longevity of street use..is what counts.
Thanks for the reply and giving the facts.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #33
68camaroz28

Drives: 68 Z28, 69 Z28, 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlok View Post
The LS7 is toast, no way it is coming back unless it is a DI version based on the LT1. We need the ZL1 1LE car with a Katech 7.0L. Now we'd be talking... (at great expense!)
This past years Corvette Carlisle I had fairly long conversation with an engineer concerning the LS7 and as it turned out he had been with the Camaro group until the year before. He told me when they were looking at the new generation of Camaro and visited the cost to have a higher output LS7 type motor it ran into the $25K market, their cost, hence the use of superchargers to accomplish a lot at a much lower price. He said customers expect everything to improve so output needs to improve but you won't see a naturally aspirated LS7 again due to "cost."
68camaroz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #34
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Thanks for the reply and giving the facts.
Another way to look at CCB brake dust: by the time it is noticeable, it's time for a car wash anyway.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #35
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
Another way to look at CCB brake dust: by the time it is noticeable, it's time for a car wash anyway.
Thanks and you are correct. I am inquiring because I have a friend who owns several salvage yards and they just got a totaled Red Z/28 in which he has given me a killer deal on the carbon rotors/ calipers, which I am going to buy and place on one of my ZL1/s. The dust, appearance and weight reduction is what's super appealing to me!
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #36
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Thanks and you are correct. I am inquiring because I have a friend who owns several salvage yards and they just got a totaled Red Z/28 in which he has given me a killer deal on the carbon rotors/ calipers, which I am going to buy and place on one of my ZL1/s. The dust, appearance and weight reduction is what's super appealing to me!
Off topic, try to get the VIN#, we have a thread for keeping track of wrecked Z/28's
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #37
Shoupaloop

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2M View Post
+1..

I think its more advantageous to have CCBs even on a strictly street driven car. No dust, no rust after washing or rain, and they will never wear out with street driving so replacement cost is a non-issue..
Another +1... My SRT was the worst. With factory Brembos, it was brown dust city. When I went with AP Racing Radi-cals, it got better, but still rust and dust all over. My wheels were ceramic coated and it still stuck badly. They had to be scrubbed clean. Nothing worse than a clean car with rust brakes and dusty wheels.
Shoupaloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #38
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
Quote:
Interested in a few pics and VIN info too!!
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #39
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
That is my thought as well, however the statement made by some who actually have carbon rotors/pads are stating different and I wanted to here their actual testimony. Do you have a Z/28 or a vehicle with full carbon braking system?

I had a '14 ZL1 and could see a fairly significant layer of brake dust soon after a wash. By comparison I can't see any significant brake dust on the Z/28 wheels regardless of how long I go between washes. Am sure it must generate some (pads alone must...), but very hard to see.