Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 08-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
PatrickS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Calling all Winter Weather/Daily Drivers

Hello!

I'm in a position where I think I will end up driving the Camaro in the winter. This coming winter will be its first (with me at least, not sure of its winter history).

How many Great Lakes members use their Camaro as a daily driver throughout the seasons?

Any suggestions/tips I need to know?

I'm looking at tires now, to prepare. I will also be washing constantly for salt.

Thanks!
PatrickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
PatrickS

Found an old thread:

Winters Coming: For those intimidated about how to drive in the snow, a How-To!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t
Old 08-07-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Get snow wheels and tires!!

I drove mine for the first winter I had it and I did just fine. The near 50/50 weight distribution really makes it easier than most would think.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
RareDarkness

Drives: 2013 ZL1 CAMARO
Not a Camaro, But I drove my modded G8 in the winter. a spare set of wheels with Blizzak snow tires is the only way to go. Once you go snow tires on a car, you'll always run snow tires in the winter. Night and day difference.
So, yeah with proper tires youll be fine. Just sucks to subject your camaro to the weather.
RareDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareDarkness View Post
Not a Camaro, But I drove my modded G8 in the winter. a spare set of wheels with Blizzak snow tires is the only way to go. Once you go snow tires on a car, you'll always run snow tires in the winter. Night and day difference.
So, yeah with proper tires youll be fine.
Pirelli Scorpions here. OEM sizes mounted on my OEM wheels.
I bought new wheels for my summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareDarkness View Post
Just sucks to subject your camaro to the weather.
I don't worry. If I can do it the Camaro can do it. It's younger and stronger than I am
Old 09-08-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
PatrickS

Change of plans!
I've been thinking and I can't stand the thought of the abuse the Camaro would get in the winter. I do not have a garage.
What do I need to do to prepare it for outside parking in the cold?
I am willing to purchase a cover of some sorts and whatever else needs to be done to keep the Camaro at its best in this situation.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #7
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
What do I need to do to prepare it for outside parking in the cold?
I am willing to purchase a cover of some sorts and whatever else needs to be done to keep the Camaro at its best in this situation.
I used to store my Monte Carlo outdoors during the winter months before it had a garage space. Wash the car, get it nice and clean. Remove the battery (this step is annoying in the Camaro since it's in the trunk, and the trunk needs power to open...). Bring the battery inside and put it on a tender.

Put a bottle of fuel stabilizer in at the gas station, fill up completely, and drive home. This allows the stabilizer to mix and get into the fuel lines for storage.

Put dryer sheets around important electronics. This helps repel rodents. Also put a sheet in the center console, glove box, and under each seat. Stuff your exhaust pipes with some steel wool to prevent a critter going in there. I like to put steel wool in a little pouch, then put the pouch with a string in the exhaust pipe so it's easy to pull out in the spring.

If you have moisture absorbing packets, put those in the cabin.

Then just buy a good outdoor cover (I like the Covercraft NOAH cover). Wrap the car up and just leave it alone until the spring.

In the spring, remove everything, do an oil change, drive carefully that first tank of gas, and enjoy the car!

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
PatrickS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
I used to store my Monte Carlo outdoors during the winter months before it had a garage space. Wash the car, get it nice and clean. Remove the battery (this step is annoying in the Camaro since it's in the trunk, and the trunk needs power to open...). Bring the battery inside and put it on a tender.

Put a bottle of fuel stabilizer in at the gas station, fill up completely, and drive home. This allows the stabilizer to mix and get into the fuel lines for storage.

Put dryer sheets around important electronics. This helps repel rodents. Also put a sheet in the center console, glove box, and under each seat. Stuff your exhaust pipes with some steel wool to prevent a critter going in there. I like to put steel wool in a little pouch, then put the pouch with a string in the exhaust pipe so it's easy to pull out in the spring.

If you have moisture absorbing packets, put those in the cabin.

Then just buy a good outdoor cover (I like the Covercraft NOAH cover). Wrap the car up and just leave it alone until the spring.

In the spring, remove everything, do an oil change, drive carefully that first tank of gas, and enjoy the car!

Thanks!! That sounds like some great advice!
Old 09-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
ichriscamaro
BlueDiamond

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE RRM
I drive my 1le all year long, had the P-Scorpion for three winters and they did great, now I have the all weather continental dws06 so we'll see how they handle in the winter.
ichriscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:39 AM   #10
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
I added about 200 lbs of sand to the trunk and shifted to a higher gear faster than usual to keep the torque down. I had no issues even on the stock BFG T/As
Old 09-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #11
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
A great set of snow tires (like everyone else has suggested) will do wonders.

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:17 AM   #12
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
Thanks!! That sounds like some great advice!
Everything but bringing the battery inside your house to charge it.

A battery gives off hydrogen gas when its charging which happens to be very flammable/explosive.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #13
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
A battery gives off hydrogen gas when its charging which happens to be very flammable/explosive.
While yes, batteries do give off gas, they are safe to bring inside if you have a proper trickle charger. Here's an exerpt from a good website read:

Quote:
Ventilation

Charging batteries in living quarters should be safe, and this also applies to lead acid. Ventilate the area regularly as you would a kitchen when cooking. Lead acid produces some hydrogen gas but the amount is minimal when charged correctly. Hydrogen gas becomes explosive at a concentration of 4 percent. This would only be achieved if large lead acid batteries were charged in a sealed room.

Over-charging a lead acid battery can produce hydrogen sulfide. The gas is colorless, very poisonous, flammable and has the odor of rotten eggs. Hydrogen sulfide also occurs naturally during the breakdown of organic matter in swamps and sewers; it is present in volcanic gases, natural gas and some well waters. Being heavier than air, the gas accumulates at the bottom of poorly ventilated spaces. Although noticeable at first, the sense of smell deadens the sensation with time and potential victims may be unaware of its presence.

As a simple guideline, hydrogen sulfide becomes harmful to human life if the odor is noticeable. Turn off the charger, vent the facility and stay outside until the odor disappears.
Here is the website and article if you wish to read it: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ealth_concerns

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #14
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I highly recommend undercoating of your underbody chassis if you plan on driving in the salt and you are keeping the car indefinitely. Road salt is a known accelerator of corrosion, and a few winters driving in it unprotected will cause some nasty things in time. Try to get undercoating, and at a minimum perform underbody flushes when you wash your car.

I typically undercoat all of my new cars; I skipped it for the ZL1 though due to the nature of its use, as it will never see salt or winter driving under my ownership.

Edit: It goes without saying that many Camaro owners will have beater cars. If you wont have one in time for this winter, then I also recommend that you plan on buying a winter driver at some point. It may make your life a bit easier.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote