Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS/Turbo View Post
Most of the high HP 2jz's you see are also NOT running stock internals .... Plenty of guys who own 2jz's can vouche for the simple fact that the motor stock can't handle past 450 HP without blowing rings etc.
Could you please stop making assumptions about a platform you obviously know nothing about?

blowing rings past 450...
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #16
Baldturbofreak
Turbo kit Jedi

Drives: 95 vette,07gxp,02wrx,slazer,
Send a message via AIM to Baldturbofreak
yup Have a 2jz that makes over 600whp on the stock rotating assembly sitting on the dyno right now. It has made that power for 88K.

The LLT and LNF have a similar parts list, and most of the rotating assembly is plenty strong for the task. We have been well over 400whp for a while on the LNF and those pistons are cast as well.
Both motors have a forged steel crank, and sinterforged rods. With full floating pins and oil squirters to control crown temps, the cast (most likely hypereutectic) pistons are likely alot stronger then you give them credit for.
As for fueling, it's just a matter of PCM access. When you run out of injection window@max rail pressure, you just need to add a PFI rail. We have been running our prototype on it for a few weeks now with significant upper rpm gains.
DI+ PFI secondary=win. Esp if it uses a secondary tank fulla E85

THis motor will make good power on boost. I'll bet money that as long as detonation stays out of the picture, the weak link(cast pistons) will be strong enough for well over 600hp.
Baldturbofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #17
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
nice to see you over here from the balt forums. i think the v6 will be a really impressive motor in time, so i guess well just have to see where things take us
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #18
2003vette

Drives: 2003 black corvette ls1
I bet GM will drop off the ls3 V8 and just start producing turbo/SC v6s as the SS platform eventually if they get wind of how good DI+ forced induction works... hell, even the Mpg would be better if GM makes a good set up......

If you want a v8 SS, I suggest you order them now. These are the days of green GM.
2003vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #19
Baldturbofreak
Turbo kit Jedi

I need a mule to get the party started...

Whom has a v6 in their driveway that is willing to take detailed enginebay pics, perhaps with the airbox removed and post them?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #20
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldturbofreak View Post

Whom has a v6 in their driveway that is willing to take detailed enginebay pics, perhaps with the airbox removed and post them?
I'll grab some tonight if the car is finished at the shop.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #21
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I think the big question is going to be the fuel system. Being that it is all OEM stuff, if it can't push another 200 HP worth of fuel, we are going to be kind of stuck - it is not like there are a lot of aftermarket direct injection fuel systems out there.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #22
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I think the big question is going to be the fuel system. Being that it is all OEM stuff, if it can't push another 200 HP worth of fuel, we are going to be kind of stuck - it is not like there are a lot of aftermarket direct injection fuel systems out there.

-Geoff
Supplementary fuel injectors in the charge stream and/or meth. Wouldn't be the first time...
Old 07-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #23
Baldturbofreak
Turbo kit Jedi

I have made 150whp more than stock on their 4 banger' with the stock fuel system.
I have no reason to believe the 6 holer' is going to be any different.

Big power will come with secondary injectors. It makes better top end power to have intake trumpet mounted injectors, anyway. See F1.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #24
Baldturbofreak
Turbo kit Jedi

Im interested if there will be room for lowmount twins. I think a 600hp setup that had full boost by 2K would be very fun to drive light to light. With More than 500ftlbs on tap by 3k it will be a nice "roll on the whisle in 3rd and F'n burn em up" car.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #25
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldturbofreak View Post

in a month ill take pics of my 1lt after it gets back from having a professional turbo kit made for it..no joking. im getting a quote tomorrow and they want to make a v6 turbo to sell and they needed a v6 to mold it from..i said screw it cant gain unless you give a little first..so 1 month of engineering for my car to have 550-600 whp is well worth it to me.
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #26
Baldturbofreak
Turbo kit Jedi

Im looking to do the same.

It's a closed deck block, with a ladderframe lower girdle and a beefy crankshaft.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #27
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxx View Post
Supplementary fuel injectors in the charge stream and/or meth. Wouldn't be the first time...
Really? So how does that work with direct injection. The benefit of DI is that you aren't compressing the fuel mixture which keeps off detonation. Now you are, so how does that work? You might not even be able to run stock compression if you are spraying fuel in the intake. Without the DI, you might aas well tear the whole system off and just run it with regular fuel injection.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #28
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
Really? So how does that work with direct injection. The benefit of DI is that you aren't compressing the fuel mixture which keeps off detonation. Now you are, so how does that work? You might not even be able to run stock compression if you are spraying fuel in the intake. Without the DI, you might aas well tear the whole system off and just run it with regular fuel injection.

-Geoff
It works no differently on DI than anything else...you aren't running anywhere near high enough static CR to predet (without knowing how aggressive timing is, kinda hard to really get into details) 93-120 octane fuel (pump/meth) Direct injection gives a higher fuel delivery granularity, and as a byproduct a higher static CR and lean condition can be achieved.... but all the rest of the monitoring and correction systems are there. If knock is detected, timing is pulled, just like anything else (actually, at a much faster sample rate since DI has awesome monitoring capabilities).

Don't overthink the system If you need current examples, check w/ the VW guys. The LS/LT 3.6L DI camaros already have wet nitrous kits available (50-100hp) from ZEX.

Last edited by MadMaxx; 07-16-2009 at 08:41 PM.