Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Who has owned a German Shepard puppy?

So i am just looking for some feedback on your experience with your German Shepard puppy. I have owned 2 dogs in my life, 2 Lab's, and they were nothing like this dog. This is Bear..AKA. MOUTH! So the puppy stuff is what it is, he bites, jumps ETC. I trained my 2 Lab's so know what to do, but this dog is so stubborn, he gets a stern smack and NO!!!! and it's like i didn't say anything, he just keeps coming back for more. Nothing seems to work, that's why i just wanted to hear from you guy's what your experience was. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
I have done extensive work with (SAR) dogs over the years. My present one is a Belgian Malinois. These guys are amazing to work with, even better than shepards.
Here is some helpful training tips:

There are five key words that are useful in teaching communication and cooperation
between you and the dog you are training. They are “Yes”, “Uh-Uh”, “Good Dog”,
“Okay” and “Free”. The first three words listed are Verbal Markers. The fourth word,
“Okay” is used as a release word; allowing the dog to cease the action commanded. The
fifth word, “Free” is a signal to the dog that the training session is over and they can now
do as they please.

Verbal Markers are specific words that are used to ‘mark’ the exact moment in time that
the dog has exhibited either a desirable, or undesirable, behaviour. The most commonly
used Verbal Markers are “Yes” and “Uh-Uh”. The word “Yes” is used to signal the exact
moment that the dog has performed the correct behaviour, and thus earned reward. The
phrase “Uh-Uh” is used to signal unwanted behaviour. Once I’ve given this negative
marker I then ask the dog to do something that will earn praise or reward; thereby
redirecting his actions to desirable behaviour.

Verbal Markers and Key Words are beneficial to use in training as they help to create a
mutually understood language between dog and human. This facilitates understanding
and thus aids in training, which lessens conflict by reducing miscommunication.
Moreover, knowledge of Verbal Markers makes training and behaviour modification
quick and easy for both dog and human.

The third word I routinely use, as noted above, is “Good Dog”. I use this to encourage the
dog, and to elicit the continuation of the action(s) that he is doing until he hears the
release word, “Okay”, or the correct marker “Yes”. Regardless of the marker used, the
dog has earned reward, or access to resources. The fourth key word in your mutually
understood language is “Okay. This is the word I use that means - job done. It is a release
from doing what you have asked and a signal that they have earned reward and/or desired
resources. Lastly, the word “Free” is a signal to the dog that the training session is over
and they may now do as they please.

In my training practice I use the above noted words as Verbal Markers to convey
information. These words are used to quickly and easily identify desired and undesired
behaviours; to elicit continued action of a desired behaviour until given the release word;
and lastly to signal the end of a training session.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I've got two at home that will both will be 7 years old this summer. They are not related we just happened to get them at the same time. The male is very active and needs a lot of exercise or he gets antsy. The female just wants to lay around and be petted. Neither of them have read the Wikipedia entry about them being good guard dogs... they have no idea they are GSD.

What are you trying to train to or not to do? Mine know the following words/commands:
-sit
-lay down
-in (come in from outside)
-out (go to the door to go out)
-potty (used after going out)
-crate (means: "go to crate" for male {he will chew on things if left alone}; "go to room" with crate for female {she doesn't chew on things}).
-Bed (go to bed, they sleep in a bedroom depending on who goes to bed first boys, wife, or myself)
-Male knows what "kong" means (his toy)

They are also trained to lay down and wait for their food bowls to be sat in front of them and won't eat until you say "take it."

Nothing spectacular but everyone seems impressed with how well the CAN mind if they want to.

Growing up, all we ever had were GSD. My wife got a retired Greyhound racer rescue (my current avatar) and I have fallen in love with them as well. It didn't take her very long at all to catch on to the "lay down and wait to eat."

Last edited by blake-b; 02-23-2016 at 04:59 PM.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
i have two chocolate labs. 10 year old female always shy and well behaved and an 18 month old male who is wild. complete opposites.
my vet says the pup should calm down by age 5. lol. he is nuts.

good looking pup you got there. good luck.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
So i am just looking for some feedback on your experience with your German Shepard puppy. I have owned 2 dogs in my life, 2 Lab's, and they were nothing like this dog. This is Bear..AKA. MOUTH! So the puppy stuff is what it is, he bites, jumps ETC. I trained my 2 Lab's so know what to do, but this dog is so stubborn, he gets a stern smack and NO!!!! and it's like i didn't say anything, he just keeps coming back for more. Nothing seems to work, that's why i just wanted to hear from you guy's what your experience was. Thanks
Your probably not going to like me. I've had two Shepard's both from a pup & both rescue. I'm not quite sure what your version of a smack is.
But my up bringing you don't smack animals kids or women no matter what the reason is.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
I have done extensive work with (SAR) dogs over the years. My present one is a Belgian Malinois. These guys are amazing to work with, even better than shepards.
Here is some helpful training tips:

There are five key words that are useful in teaching communication and cooperation
between you and the dog you are training. They are “Yes”, “Uh-Uh”, “Good Dog”,
“Okay” and “Free”. The first three words listed are Verbal Markers. The fourth word,
“Okay” is used as a release word; allowing the dog to cease the action commanded. The
fifth word, “Free” is a signal to the dog that the training session is over and they can now
do as they please.

Verbal Markers are specific words that are used to ‘mark’ the exact moment in time that
the dog has exhibited either a desirable, or undesirable, behaviour. The most commonly
used Verbal Markers are “Yes” and “Uh-Uh”. The word “Yes” is used to signal the exact
moment that the dog has performed the correct behaviour, and thus earned reward. The
phrase “Uh-Uh” is used to signal unwanted behaviour. Once I’ve given this negative
marker I then ask the dog to do something that will earn praise or reward; thereby
redirecting his actions to desirable behaviour.

Verbal Markers and Key Words are beneficial to use in training as they help to create a
mutually understood language between dog and human. This facilitates understanding
and thus aids in training, which lessens conflict by reducing miscommunication.
Moreover, knowledge of Verbal Markers makes training and behaviour modification
quick and easy for both dog and human.

The third word I routinely use, as noted above, is “Good Dog”. I use this to encourage the
dog, and to elicit the continuation of the action(s) that he is doing until he hears the
release word, “Okay”, or the correct marker “Yes”. Regardless of the marker used, the
dog has earned reward, or access to resources. The fourth key word in your mutually
understood language is “Okay. This is the word I use that means - job done. It is a release
from doing what you have asked and a signal that they have earned reward and/or desired
resources. Lastly, the word “Free” is a signal to the dog that the training session is over
and they may now do as they please.

In my training practice I use the above noted words as Verbal Markers to convey
information. These words are used to quickly and easily identify desired and undesired
behaviours; to elicit continued action of a desired behaviour until given the release word;
and lastly to signal the end of a training session.
Very good info, thanks. What is the difference between NO and Uh-Uh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I've got two at home that will both will be 7 years old this summer. They are not related we just happened to get them at the same time. The male is very active and needs a lot of exercise or he gets antsy. The female just wants to lay around and be petted. Neither of them have read the Wikipedia entry about them being good guard dogs... they have no idea they are GSD.

What are you trying to train to or not to do? Mine know the following words/commands:
-sit
-lay down
-in (come in from outside)
-out (go to the door to go out)
-potty (used after going out)
-crate (means: "go to crate" for male {he will chew on things if left alone}; "go to room" with crate for female {she doesn't chew on things}).
-Bed (go to bed, they sleep in a bedroom depending on who goes to bed first boys, wife, or myself)
-Male knows what "kong" means (his toy)

They are also trained to lay down and wait for their food bowls to be sat in front of them and won't eat until you say "take it."

Nothing spectacular but everyone seems impressed with how well the CAN mind if they want to.

Growing up, all we ever had were GSD. My wife got a retired Greyhound racer rescue (my current avatar) and I have fallen in love with them as well. It didn't take her very long at all to catch on to the "lay down and wait to eat."
I will want all of the above, but at this point all im trying to do is potty train, and stop the attacks from behind as i walk haha! I have been relentless on watching and NO!!! and praise and treats. It's been 2 weeks and still feels like the 1st day. He will potty outside then 5 min later in the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
i have two chocolate labs. 10 year old female always shy and well behaved and an 18 month old male who is wild. complete opposites.
my vet says the pup should calm down by age 5. lol. he is nuts.

good looking pup you got there. good luck.
Thanks, and yeah i love Labs as well. I will get another someday, but wanted a German Shepard at this point.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
Your probably not going to like me. I've had two Shepard's both from a pup & both rescue. I'm not quite sure what your version of a smack is.
But my up bringing you don't smack animals kids or women no matter what the reason is.
I am an animal lover and smack is the wrong word. I would never hurt my dog, just trying to get his attention. I assume yours jumped on you as well as puppy bite, as i sit here i have 10 puncture wounds on my arms. What did you have luck with in getting them to stop? I try and keep a toy with me at all times and as soon as he starts i give him the toy, this works for a few minutes then my flesh is too irresistible and it starts all over HAHA!
Old 02-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
I have two golden retrievers and they are polar opposites. One will lay outside for hours alone with a toy and the other has to be right next to you getting your attention. I think it all depends on the dog, not the breed alone. My sister has 2 Shepard's and they're very well behaved, but very energetic. It does take more discipline (not necessarily beating) with them though.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
I have two golden retrievers and they are polar opposites. One will lay outside for hours alone with a toy and the other has to be right next to you getting your attention. I think it all depends on the dog, not the breed alone. My sister has 2 Shepard's and they're very well behaved, but very energetic. It does take more discipline (not necessarily beating) with them though.
Thanks, before this thread goes down the wrong path (not directed at you) I am an animal lover and would NEVER BEAT OR HURT my dog or anyone else's. My 2 Labs were total opposite as well, one loved the water and one didn't.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #10
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Thanks, before this thread goes down the wrong path (not directed at you) I am an animal lover and would NEVER BEAT OR HURT my dog or anyone else's. My 2 Labs were total opposite as well, one loved the water and one didn't.
No worries, I've smacked my dogs when necessary. Beating is the incorrect term, makes it sound more aggressive.

How old is your pup? I know our one retriever was bad about biting at first.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #11
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
For potty training, make him stay outside until he goes then go crazy with the "good boy"s. Within minutes of eating (get him on a feeding schedule) he needs to go outside and stay outside until he poops afndnd pees.

Try to work on a potty schedule too if he stays inside most of the time.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #12
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
No worries, I've smacked my dogs when necessary. Beating is the incorrect term, makes it sound more aggressive.

How old is your pup? I know our one retriever was bad about biting at first.
He is 9 weeks, just a baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
For potty training, make him stay outside until he goes then go crazy with the "good boy"s. Within minutes of eating (get him on a feeding schedule) he needs to go outside and stay outside until he poops afndnd pees.

Try to work on a potty schedule too if he stays inside most of the time.
Believe me im doing everything, he just doesn't seem to get it. It's only been 2 weeks, but as i said earlier i am relentless on this potty issue. At times he will go outside and pee, then the next time will stand by the open door and pee.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Good Luck! Raised a Lab pup and a Shepherd mix a few years ago. Luckily, the Shepherd responded to a pack mentality really well. Lots of love and a firm voice and a stare would get his attention. Had his attention when he looked away from my gaze. Had the upper hand then and he started to listen.

Dog Whisper (Cesar Milan) also has some great ideas. My current mutt has lots of energy, but is easy to control after some owner training. Mutt was just doing what mutts do.
Attached Images

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #14
Rrm20151le

Drives: 2015 Red Rock 1LE
I've had 6 german shepherds since 1982. The pure bred shepherds did not act out the way the non pure bred did. The pure bred did something "wrong" once if I caught them and usually didn't do it again. I currently have 2 shepherds, a female pure bred with papers and a male Shepherd that is not pure bred, but the breeders had papers on him. He looked liked a pure bred when I got him but he now only has shepherd colors. The female is very attentive and protective, the male is happy go lucky and is everybody's friend.
Just my 2 cents.
Rrm20151le is offline   Reply With Quote