Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
moons21

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Convert
Top Sealant

Finally got around to properly cleaning and sealing the top on the car. New to me 2015 SS/RS and don't think the original owner ever did it. Used the Chemical Guys convertible top kit and came out great. After using the cleaner with a horse hair brush, the top was a dark, rich black again. Covered up the glass and paint and used their top protectant and let it cure overnight after 2 coats....looks great, now to see if it beads up like they claim in the videos.

moons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Excellent, keep us posted.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #3
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Cool, moons - let us know, plz post pics if you get them!
Old 05-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #4
moons21

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Convert
So.. got caught in the rain yesterday with the car, not overly impressed with the CG sealant, some beading on the roof, dried pretty fast, but nothing like they showed in their YouTube videos. After the two primary coats and cure, I also did a third coat, so used about 2/3's of the bottle. Sorry no pic's was still raining when I got home .. Will probably try some of the 303 products later this summer on it to see if they "seal" or water repel better.
moons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
303 DOES bead up the water, from my experience with it. I sprayed it on. Some others swear by using a small roller, and while that is indeed easier, the can states that it won't adhere as well.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
18LTLoveIt

I used Chemical Guys, wonderful results.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:36 AM   #7
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
303 DOES bead up the water, from my experience with it. I sprayed it on. Some others swear by using a small roller, and while that is indeed easier, the can states that it won't adhere as well.
I don't know why samman11 wants to downplay 303 Fabric Guard. He did the same thing to my thread when I said I rolled it on. He made the reply in my thread they the bottle says not to roll on the 303 FG. Now he is saying that the CAN states it will not adhere as well if rolled on. I think he makes up this crap just to post on here.

I rolled the 303 Fabric Guard on my top. It works perfectly. The bottle mentions nothing about it not adhering as well if you roll it on. If you spray multiple coats on after each coat has dried, you will have problems with it soaking in as the previous coat is doing it's job by waterproofing.

Here are the instructions for usage from 303 website.

303® Fabric Guard keeps fabrics fresh, soft, colorful and breathable…all while adding a powerful coating to repel water and prevent the most serious of stains. Use it to keep rugs clean, leather interiors fresh and covers blemish-free. You can even spray it on your convertible top’s seams to prevent wicking. When applied to clean and dry fabrics, 303® Fabric Guard restores lost water and stain repellency to straight-from-the-factory levels. Keep all your favorite fabrics crisp and clean for years to come.

USAGE DIRECTIONS:

Product liquid and spray are flammable, keep product and treated article (until dry) away from heat, sparks or open flames. Do not smoke when applying 303® Fabric Guard™. Spray until evenly wet, overlapping sprayed areas. NOTE: Reduced coverage when applied with paint roller or brush. Apply to fabric above 70°F/21°C. (For quicker drying/curing and best results, apply in full sun.) Treated material must be protected from rain/dew until completely cured. CURING: 12-24 hours dependent on temperature. If these steps are performed correctly, the material will be water repellent at this point. 303® Fabric Guard will need reapplication depending on fabric exposure to sunlight and weather conditions; pour water on fabric to determine need to retreat fabric. COVERAGE: 40-75 sq. ft. (30 x 60cm) depending on material and application method.​

It simply states that if you roll it on that coverage will be a smaller area. That's because you are applying it at a heavier rate than when spraying. That means you get better application through rolling.

I have a thread on here where I rolled the 303 Fabric Guard on my top.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481360

Last edited by SharpOldNo7; 05-04-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Added link
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
I have been using 303 for almost 5 years twice a year and it always works. Please post a picture of the instructions that say it won't adhere as well using a roller... if you can't produce proof stop repeating the false information.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
18LTLoveIt

I didn't have 1st heavy coat of Chemical Guys bead the other coats.

Rolling a protectant on sounds a lot easier, no masking needed. I am a rule follower so directions were important.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #10
samman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOldNo7 View Post
I don't know why samman11 wants to downplay 303 Fabric Guard. He did the same thing to my thread when I said I rolled it on. He made the reply in my thread they the bottle says not to roll on the 303 FG. Now he is saying that the CAN states it will not adhere as well if rolled on. I think he makes up this crap just to post on here.

I rolled the 303 Fabric Guard on my top. It works perfectly. The bottle mentions nothing about it not adhering as well if you roll it on. If you spray multiple coats on after each coat has dried, you will have problems with it soaking in as the first precious coat is doing it job by waterproofing.

303® Fabric Guard keeps fabrics fresh, soft, colorful and breathable…all while adding a powerful coating to repel water and prevent the most serious of stains. Use it to keep rugs clean, leather interiors fresh and covers blemish-free. You can even spray it on your convertible top’s seams to prevent wicking. When applied to clean and dry fabrics, 303® Fabric Guard restores lost water and stain repellency to straight-from-the-factory levels. Keep all your favorite fabrics crisp and clean for years to come.

USAGE DIRECTIONS:

Product liquid and spray are flammable, keep product and treated article (until dry) away from heat, sparks or open flames. Do not smoke when applying 303® Fabric Guard™. Spray until evenly wet, overlapping sprayed areas. NOTE: Reduced coverage when applied with paint roller or brush. Apply to fabric above 70°F/21°C. (For quicker drying/curing and best results, apply in full sun.) Treated material must be protected from rain/dew until completely cured. CURING: 12-24 hours dependent on temperature. If these steps are performed correctly, the material will be water repellent at this point. 303® Fabric Guard will need reapplication depending on fabric exposure to sunlight and weather conditions; pour water on fabric to determine need to retreat fabric. COVERAGE: 40-75 sq. ft. (30 x 60cm) depending on material and application method.​

It simply states that if you roll it on that coverage will be a smaller area. That's because you are applying it at a heavier rate than when spraying. That means you get better application through rolling.

Having a bad day??? Calm down. I don't simply post here to upset people or convey bad information. As I read it, which you have above, "reduced coverage when applied with a paint roller or brush." What does reduced coverage mean? Well, it can be interpreted as "less protection." It could also just mean less area will be covered. Could be just as good. I take your word that it is. I only repeated what was on the bottle as you have printed above. Chill out dude. Get a life. You put so much anger into a simple statement that I "may" have misinterpreted from the bottle. I say may, as a definition of "reduced coverage" needs to be clarified from the manufacturer.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Having a bad day??? Calm down. I don't simply post here to upset people or convey bad information. As I read it, which you have above, "reduced coverage when applied with a paint roller or brush." What does reduced coverage mean? Well, it can be interpreted as "less protection." It could also just mean less area will be covered. Could be just as good. I take your word that it is. I only repeated what was on the bottle as you have printed above. Chill out dude. Get a life. You put so much anger into a simple statement that I "may" have misinterpreted from the bottle. I say may, as a definition of "reduced coverage" needs to be clarified from the manufacturer.
If it meant less protection that is what it would have said or it would say "less effective". Reduced coverage means just that, it covers less area.... not really that difficult to comprehend.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
samman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
If it meant less protection that is what it would have said or it would say "less effective". Reduced coverage means just that, it covers less area.... not really that difficult to comprehend.
Another member that needs to chill. I'm sooooo sorry that I didn't "comprehend" to your standards. It would have been easier if you simply explained what the blurb on the bottle meant instead of jumping down my back with your snide comment.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #13
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOldNo7 View Post

I rolled the 303 Fabric Guard on my top. It works perfectly. The bottle mentions nothing about it not adhering as well if you roll it on. If you spray multiple coats on after each coat has dried, you will have problems with it soaking in as the first precious coat is doing it job by waterproofing.

USAGE DIRECTIONS:

I went with the 303 this March after reading your thread, I did two coats and applied it with a roller, it turned out perfect. With only 7,000 miles on the odometer and being garage kept my car has not seen rain but when I hose it down during washing the 303 beads water on my top just as well as my freshly waxed paint beads water, it's truly amazing. I am happy with the 303.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Yes, less sq. ft. coverage, that's the way I interpret it as well