Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Shampoo for ceramic coatings

So I had my Camaro treated last fall with ceramic. I recently just bought the Adams kit to do the wifes Terrain.

After talking with a few people, I'm getting conflicting information on what type of shampoo to use. I'm hearing that it's not recommended to use traditional soap on a ceramic coating, as well as all of the other products (ie: detail spray, waterless wash, etc.). So for those with experience, can the traditional products still be used on ceramic coatings? Or is it now time to replace everything? What is everyone else doing?
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Mine is ceramic'd with Blackfire - and I typically only was with their "Waterless Wash". In fact, I have not needed to do a full was since coating the car over a year ago. I have their "Car Wash" formula stuff if I ever need to do a full wash, but it's rare for me to get caught in the rain or muddy conditions that would require more than just the Waterless treatment.

I would check with whomever your ceramic coat is by to see what their recommendations are. I doubt you'll do any harm doing a regular wash, but their may be some better options that are easier, and help with the shine.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
So I had my Camaro treated last fall with ceramic. I recently just bought the Adams kit to do the wifes Terrain.

After talking with a few people, I'm getting conflicting information on what type of shampoo to use. I'm hearing that it's not recommended to use traditional soap on a ceramic coating, as well as all of the other products (ie: detail spray, waterless wash, etc.). So for those with experience, can the traditional products still be used on ceramic coatings? Or is it now time to replace everything? What is everyone else doing?
Adams has a whole line of products for use on ceramic including waterless wash, a substitute for detail spray etc.. look them up.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
JimE

I'm familiar with the Adams stuff and as noted, just bought their kit.

The question is whether you HAVE to use ceramic stuff or whether the standard stuff can still be used.

In other words, I'd hate to just dump the gallons of product already in my cabinet only to find out that I could have kept using it.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:

The question is whether you HAVE to use ceramic stuff or whether the standard stuff can still be used.

In other words, I'd hate to just dump the gallons of product already in my cabinet only to find out that I could have kept using it.
I think your rule of thumb here would be "can use old soap, but not ideal". Based on this post you clearly care enough to be thinking and asking about this, so you probably want the best it can be. So I say gift your old stuff to somebody, and start using the stuff tailored to your ceramic coating.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #6
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Car soap is fine. Adam's has made videos on this subject...... I dont remember exactly what they are called.... but normal soap is fine.

Adams SiO2 infused stuff is just that, a silica infused soap or whatever that is for added protection and longevity of the coating.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:

Yes you should use our SI02 products on your coating. It will help maintain your Coating and ensure there is no degradation.

Here is a nice maintenance kit.

https://adamspolishes.com/collection...aintenance-kit
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #8
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
You can use any Car Shampoo to wash the vehicle. I use Adam's products on our Ceramic coated cars. They are foamed with Ultra Foam or Mega Foam, and washed with his standard Car Shampoo, or the SiO2 Infused Wash & Coat.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #9
JimE

Thank you.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:53 PM   #10
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Had a similar question after coating my car. Where I landed was it seemed fine to use regular good quality car soap, but I wouldn't use one with added protection in it unless the additives are SiO2-based. So avoid anything with added carnuba, etc, things that won't play well with the coating.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #11
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
To me, hearing that I would have to use special stuff kinda negates my thought that Ceramic coatings are tough and durable. Spend hundreds on a coating that then has to be treated with special soaps and sprays????

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #12
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
To me, hearing that I would have to use special stuff kinda negates my thought that Ceramic coatings are tough and durable. Spend hundreds on a coating that then has to be treated with special soaps and sprays????
Doesn't have to be, I take mine through a touchless car wash from time to time when I'm in a hurry and it needs a rinse. But the "specific" stuff helps the coating be it's very best. If you're gonna use something at home, why not use what the designer of the coating specifies works the best?
Old 07-21-2020, 05:37 AM   #13
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
As acammer stated above, "it doesn't have to be". If you've got a traditional wax or sealant on the car you're using a traditional type of Car Shampoo, and perhaps a Detail Spray, and/or a Waterless Wash, and maybe others. The wax should last a month to three, a sealant six to eight months. A Ceramic Coated car sitting outside 24/7/365 using nothing special should still last a good two years, with specific maintenance products that same vehicle should get the full advertised life to the coating; three to five years. A Ceramic Coated vehicle can benefit from using similar type products specific to Ceramic Coatings to help maintain the coatings hydrophobic properties and it's longevity, but you don't have to.

In the Adam's Polishes line of products there is a SiO2 infused Car Shampoo called Wash & Go, a Ceramic Boost that's a sealant for a Ceramic Coating used every couple of months, there's CS3 that's like a Detail Spray for Ceramic Coatings that can be used whenever necessary that also has some cleaning capabilities, there's also a Ceramic specific Waterless Wash I like to use in all the jambs after washing my cars. Still get the urge to wax your car? There's a Ceramic Liquid Wax in Adam's product line that's very easy on/off that helps with hydrophobic properties and longevity.

However, you don't have to use all these. A regular Car Shampoo works just fine at keeping the car clean, and there's no problem with a traditional Waterless Wash. Ceramic Boost and CS3 can also be used on a non coated car. I use Adam's Rinseless Wash on my Ceramic Coated cars with no issue. The only ones to be careful of are traditional Detail Sprays and waxes, some of them won't play nice with a Ceramic Coating due to some of their ingredients: silicone, natural carnauba and montan. I've been told Adam's Ceramic Boost doesn't work well with all Ceramic Coatings, so (as with any) try in an inconspicuous area before hitting the entire car.

The benefits of having a car Ceramic Coated will only be realized once you've got one coated. I've coated my garage queen, my two personal vehicles, my company car and my oldest daughter's car. I'll coat every car I own from here on out. Or until something better comes along.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #14
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
As acammer stated above, "it doesn't have to be". If you've got a traditional wax or sealant on the car you're using a traditional type of Car Shampoo, and perhaps a Detail Spray, and/or a Waterless Wash, and maybe others. The wax should last a month to three, a sealant six to eight months. A Ceramic Coated car sitting outside 24/7/365 using nothing special should still last a good two years, with specific maintenance products that same vehicle should get the full advertised life to the coating; three to five years. A Ceramic Coated vehicle can benefit from using similar type products specific to Ceramic Coatings to help maintain the coatings hydrophobic properties and it's longevity, but you don't have to.

In the Adam's Polishes line of products there is a SiO2 infused Car Shampoo called Wash & Go, a Ceramic Boost that's a sealant for a Ceramic Coating used every couple of months, there's CS3 that's like a Detail Spray for Ceramic Coatings that can be used whenever necessary that also has some cleaning capabilities, there's also a Ceramic specific Waterless Wash I like to use in all the jambs after washing my cars. Still get the urge to wax your car? There's a Ceramic Liquid Wax in Adam's product line that's very easy on/off that helps with hydrophobic properties and longevity.

However, you don't have to use all these. A regular Car Shampoo works just fine at keeping the car clean, and there's no problem with a traditional Waterless Wash. Ceramic Boost and CS3 can also be used on a non coated car. I use Adam's Rinseless Wash on my Ceramic Coated cars with no issue. The only ones to be careful of are traditional Detail Sprays and waxes, some of them won't play nice with a Ceramic Coating due to some of their ingredients: silicone, natural carnauba and montan. I've been told Adam's Ceramic Boost doesn't work well with all Ceramic Coatings, so (as with any) try in an inconspicuous area before hitting the entire car.

The benefits of having a car Ceramic Coated will only be realized once you've got one coated. I've coated my garage queen, my two personal vehicles, my company car and my oldest daughter's car. I'll coat every car I own from here on out. Or until something better comes along.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote