Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Radiator differences in my 2010 SS to a 2014 1LE?

Hey guys,

So I did a track day yesterday and their was a red 1LE there that had it's hood opened. The owner and I were talking about our engines and I noticed that his radiator had a shroud looking thing that mine didn't. It also appeared that the radiator is actually different.

So, it made me wonder, is the newer radiator style better? Is it swappable? Does the 1LE have a different radiator then the regular SS?

Actually, now i"m really curious because I did a search for 2015 Camaro SS engine pictures and a few of the images don't show the cowl on them.

I drew a line around the cowl I'm seeing...
Attached Images

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
The piece of plastic you circled is the rain drip-shroud for the hood vent. Water from the drip tray on the hood vent flows onto that and it directs it the ground.
1le and SS have the same radiator. Starting in 2012 the hoses to the oil cooler were updated and a new port was added for it on the lower driver part of the rad. That is the only difference I can think of but the cores are the same
Old 11-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Is that rain shield swappable to my radiator? I"m looking to do the hood vent on mine so it would be nice to have that shield.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
If I remember from my Dewitt's install the shroud attaches via plastic tabs on the fan. So if your fan doesn't have the tabs, you would need to find another way of attaching. There are people on here that have put vents on pre 14 cars so they might have solved that already.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
2010-2011 had the Radiator neck in a different place, and then the radiator changed....thus why you can get a Vararam Over the radiator CAI in there for those years by tilting the radiator.