Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
Arman

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Check engine light after K&N install. Please help?

Hello, I am new to this forum and I would like some advice. I bought a 2014 Camaro SS manual with the LS3 V8.

I bought it used at 30000 miles, and after owning it for 8 months, the pre-installed CAI filter (K&N as well) was getting dirty, so I replaced the filter with a brand new filter also K&N.

It has been running fine and smooth for the last week. Today as I left work when the car was started, it ran rough, lots of dash lights came on, and it said service stabilitrack. I got home, checked the battery leads and cleaned the MAF sensor and the roughness, lights and everything went away. It FEELS fine, and drives fine, but the CEL is on , and when I scanned the OBD it said P0308 which is cylinder #8 misfire, yet its riding smooth as ever.

Any tips on how to solve, some people are saying disconnect the battery and fuses 5 and 20. I know the fuses are for relearning the fuel delivery system, but just wondering if anything has experienced this. This car is my prized possession, and i really do not want anything to become worse. I do have a second car so I wont be doing any driving on it until this is done.

Some info on it:
2014 SS
Has K&N CAI
MAgnaflow 3inch pipe custom exhaust
Arman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Check the plug and wire on cylinder #8.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Something isn't tight. Maybe leaking air or plug for mass air sensor not in properly. Good luck but check that stuff I mentioned also that air flow sensor in correct.
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Low battery voltage can cause this as well.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
Arman

My battery is fine. Due to it being a weekend driver. I have it on a battery tender on it twice a month to keep the battery charged. The voltage right off the tender is about 12.5 and after a few days its about 14.4. Candr3535 Now the only thing I changed was the actual filter. I tightened the filter. Ill check the air flow sensor again.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Check the plug and wire on cylinder #8.
Plug wire.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
Test_Eng

Drives: 2013 1SS RS 1LE NPP ADM LSA CON
Check engine light after K&N install. Please help?

Picture of wiring around cylinder #8? May or may not help.
Could be coil pack, plug, plug wire, battery connection, other wiring, or maybe an injector. I don't know how the filter could cause that fault.

Maybe best to let GM plug their scan tool in as they can usually get more data back than generic scan tools.

Also, was it raining the day you noticed this? I have got the stability track fault every once in a while when it rains and water gets to the connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Test_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #8
Arman

No rain. Perfectly dry. I will post a pic as soon as possible...
Old 02-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
Test_Eng

Drives: 2013 1SS RS 1LE NPP ADM LSA CON
One other thing that someone on the forum ran into was having the MAF inserted in backwards but again I'm not sure how that would cause that CEL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Test_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #10
DokWatson
Dok

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
Might be a bit of a longshot, but I don't think it has anything to do with the air intake. You described some symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter. Might check into that.

You can try swapping coil packs, see if the same cylinder misfires.
DokWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #11
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankSS View Post
Low battery voltage can cause this as well.
This will def make that happen
Old 02-27-2017, 01:21 AM   #12
Arman

Okay so I reconnected the ignition coil from cylinder 8, and reset the fuses. And now the CEL is gone. Hopefully it does not come back. If it does, ill let yall know. I appreciate the help guys

Tags
2014, cai, cel, manual