Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Service eng lights, rough idle, cooling warning lights

I have an LFX with over 80k miles that is driving me insane. First the SEL come on after I bought it, the dealer (idiots) say the HUD is the problem (it originally wasn't working, bad unit). Uh NO it's not!! They never fixed it. I diagnosed myself and found a bad MAF sensor.
I then installed the CAI I had on my previous 12 Camaro that saw a lot of track duty. SEL's , misfires, lean condition pop up. Predominantly, P0300.
Bought a tool to check the coils, some were weak some were, just OK. the engines idles low and rough. thought it had an air leak somewhere. checked the CAI, and the intake. nothing. weird. So I removed the CaI and reinstalled the stock intake. Ran a little smoother, but on heaver throttle sometimes, the eng light will flash about 10 times. then go out. then after 50 miles stays on. Check my scanner, P0300, multiple misfires. Now I am suspecting, carbon in the heads/valves, injectors, and/or coils. With the current mileage I am betting on the injectors mostly. I ordered new coils anyway. hell just refresh what I can.
NOW, the eng temp too high turning A/c off in the dash comes on...OMG!!
OK, it seems the thermostat is staying open. engine never gets higher than 160. which is another reason the car is running horribly. This engine likes heat, the cooler temps freak out the electronics. weird things happen.
So that's next I guess to replace the tstat and fluid. But other than that the car runs really well. I have to let it sit and warm up to about 110 before I drive off. So the dash thing doesn't come on.
doesn't really come on during the warmer days. Just when it's cool and the engine cannot get over 147 degrees. So this is in progress. I know a lot of you are having this same issue. this is what I found so far. replacing coils tonight or this weekend. Will report if any change. Also changed to shell super to help clean the valves and fuel system/injectors. Seems to have a little more power and running a tad smoother. probably a lot of years from the previous owner with a lot of cheap/bad gas.
Also, ran a full tank of Lucas fuel system cleaner. that also seems to have helped. So it IS running better, but the underlying issues still remain at idle.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2013 1LS, 1968 Camaro SS, 2000 MCSS
I was just recently chasing a lot of weird idle issues. Took my TB off the car and cleaned it up. Were you able to do that when you were removing the UIM and such?

Also remember, with this DI DOHC, high octane fuel and fuel additives aren't cleaning valves like in the pushrod engines, the fuel doesn't wash over the valves on this.

Also check out the plugs. I wouldn't just swap coils and not touch the spark plugs at the same time.

Have you done a full coolant flush too?

2013 Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Show Car
2000 Monte Carlo SS - Paxton Novi Supercharged Project
2018 Regal TourX - Because we need at least ONE family car
ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
12blkgrayRS

yes I cleaned it. helped a little. The next big item is to remove the upper intake and replace the gasket. while doing the tstat replacement. I replaced the plugs already. Yes changed the oil but not a flush.
What youn said I am aware about the valves, I run some tb cleaner through while at a high idle. Lots of dirt dripped out of the TB as a result. Started easier after that.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #4
gringo

Drives: Camaro
Do you run a catch can? If not, I'd do a manual upper induction cleaning. With 80K miles and no can, it probably needs it.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
12blkgrayRS

This issue has been resolved. Traced to weak coils and replaced sparklers with OEM plugs. reset ECU.
Still running tanks of shell Nitro+, seems to be running and Idling smoother. run this setup for a while to see how it turns out then go back to my CAI. Stock intake on it now.
Drove for 3 days so far and over 100 miles. So far so good. Power is way up from before.
To answer question above:
yes, installed catch can after I bought the car, one of my car club members has provided it to me.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
Try cleaning your MAF too, if you haven't.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
12blkgrayRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Try cleaning your MAF too, if you haven't.
First thing I had to replace.