Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Service eng lights, rough idle, cooling warning lights

I have an LFX with over 80k miles that is driving me insane. First the SEL come on after I bought it, the dealer (idiots) say the HUD is the problem (it originally wasn't working, bad unit). Uh NO it's not!! They never fixed it. I diagnosed myself and found a bad MAF sensor.
I then installed the CAI I had on my previous 12 Camaro that saw a lot of track duty. SEL's , misfires, lean condition pop up. Predominantly, P0300.
Bought a tool to check the coils, some were weak some were, just OK. the engines idles low and rough. thought it had an air leak somewhere. checked the CAI, and the intake. nothing. weird. So I removed the CaI and reinstalled the stock intake. Ran a little smoother, but on heaver throttle sometimes, the eng light will flash about 10 times. then go out. then after 50 miles stays on. Check my scanner, P0300, multiple misfires. Now I am suspecting, carbon in the heads/valves, injectors, and/or coils. With the current mileage I am betting on the injectors mostly. I ordered new coils anyway. hell just refresh what I can.
NOW, the eng temp too high turning A/c off in the dash comes on...OMG!!
OK, it seems the thermostat is staying open. engine never gets higher than 160. which is another reason the car is running horribly. This engine likes heat, the cooler temps freak out the electronics. weird things happen.
So that's next I guess to replace the tstat and fluid. But other than that the car runs really well. I have to let it sit and warm up to about 110 before I drive off. So the dash thing doesn't come on.
doesn't really come on during the warmer days. Just when it's cool and the engine cannot get over 147 degrees. So this is in progress. I know a lot of you are having this same issue. this is what I found so far. replacing coils tonight or this weekend. Will report if any change. Also changed to shell super to help clean the valves and fuel system/injectors. Seems to have a little more power and running a tad smoother. probably a lot of years from the previous owner with a lot of cheap/bad gas.
Also, ran a full tank of Lucas fuel system cleaner. that also seems to have helped. So it IS running better, but the underlying issues still remain at idle.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I was just recently chasing a lot of weird idle issues. Took my TB off the car and cleaned it up. Were you able to do that when you were removing the UIM and such?

Also remember, with this DI DOHC, high octane fuel and fuel additives aren't cleaning valves like in the pushrod engines, the fuel doesn't wash over the valves on this.

Also check out the plugs. I wouldn't just swap coils and not touch the spark plugs at the same time.

Have you done a full coolant flush too?

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
12blkgrayRS

yes I cleaned it. helped a little. The next big item is to remove the upper intake and replace the gasket. while doing the tstat replacement. I replaced the plugs already. Yes changed the oil but not a flush.
What youn said I am aware about the valves, I run some tb cleaner through while at a high idle. Lots of dirt dripped out of the TB as a result. Started easier after that.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #4
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Do you run a catch can? If not, I'd do a manual upper induction cleaning. With 80K miles and no can, it probably needs it.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
12blkgrayRS

This issue has been resolved. Traced to weak coils and replaced sparklers with OEM plugs. reset ECU.
Still running tanks of shell Nitro+, seems to be running and Idling smoother. run this setup for a while to see how it turns out then go back to my CAI. Stock intake on it now.
Drove for 3 days so far and over 100 miles. So far so good. Power is way up from before.
To answer question above:
yes, installed catch can after I bought the car, one of my car club members has provided it to me.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Try cleaning your MAF too, if you haven't.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
12blkgrayRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Try cleaning your MAF too, if you haven't.
First thing I had to replace.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
12blkgrayRS

Well after months of dealing with the warmup issues. on a 30 deg morning the temps wouldn't go higher than 126 degrees. Yikes! that's after warming it up for about 5 minute before I pull it out of the garage.
so I finally replaced the tstat over the weekend, I called chevy to get a cost and they wanted to diagnose it first. I'm like I know what it is! It's a thermostat!! geez. They just wanted an excuse to extract more money out of me. I think they estimated at $380. OK NO, so first I pulled it apart, that took 6 hours in my driveway....ugh! going under the car with very little room on the ground to get to the bolts. after getting it off, I discovered a piece of rubber from the lower half of the tstat got sucked in where the coolant flows through. Keeping it stuck open.
So I went down to get a new tstat housing kit w/tstat. New orings and gaskets for the hose outlets. and 2 days later on one of my days off, put it back together. finishing 6 hours later. then for some reason the housing leaked after warming up. took forever to air it out, the engines would overheat but the radiator coolant was still cold. So I squeezed the hoses (upper and lower) to push the air through so it will bleed. then finally the heater started working. temps went steady to 187-192. it was warm out.
So last night I went back in and removed the heater hose connection and reseated. Apparently I had the gasket upside down (ear up) I had to check parts fiches online to make sure. I didn't think it would have made a difference, couldn't see it anyway, and used shorter bolts that look like what I should been using anyway, picked up the wrong ones (too long). hey it was dark on the driveway...:P. Cleaned the new o-ring and reinstalled.
The car warmed up quickly this morning and in traffic it behaved and remained steady at around 187-192 w/ A/C on, yea still warm out, Houston ya know. 68 and humid.
so now the car can be inspected with no CEL's. im so HAPPY!!!
Old 01-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #9
12blkgrayRS

hah! to update this. I decided to reset the battery to accommodate a new throttle controller I had for a few months. my inspection had to be done in 2 weeks at least.
drove it a few hundred miles since the reset. Some weird P0300 code pops up after accel around 3500 rpms. Checked everything, trim good, coils (new), plugs (new), no weird numbers running through my scanner. I figured since the chains were replaced last year maybe the cam sensors needed to be replaced, no I have replaced them yet.
they are cheap online.
after a week and a half and no codes, took it to be inspected.
Failed....ugh!!
4 parameters - not ready. WTF?? Took it to chevy, they said drive it some more. ok, drove it (don't drive it much anyway) during the Christmas holidays a lot. another 400 miles on it. took it back in, the inspector hooked up his scanner, 2 parameter still not ready...Wow really!!?
drove it some more. took it back, 2 still not ready...Ok I don't get it.
drove it around again, keeping it under 45-50, on some of the 50mph speed limit roads around here. 30 miles as directed. down to 1. crap, drove it another 30 miles, still down to 1 not ready, catalyst I think. It should pass with one left as not ready I was told. but there was another car in the bay, but I didn't shut it off. apparently the parameters reset on each drive cycle. when it was my turn, I drove into the bay. The inspector took the scanner and tested it again. Ok, it's ready to go!! YES!! So it did the emissions portion of the inspection again. And it passed!! So happy!
They other parameter went ready as I was sitting idle in the parking lot. No codes in thrown or caught on the state's computer. May replace the cam sensors anyway when I get some time.