Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-19-2020, 11:30 PM   #1
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Drivers Side Window

Friday, Sept 19 2020, My drivers side window quit working. It rolled down, but did not want to go back up.

After taking the door panel off I found the cable had broken. I've ordered the regulator and from what i've seen on the internet it's not a hard project to fix
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Maybe throw some pics or a video in the how-to section.
Eventually it'll happen to all of us.

Edit:
Actually I've never even removed the door panel.
Would be nice to see.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Very easy fix. Door panel & vapor shield come off, harness disconnected from window motor, there are there are access holes to remove the window in the door frame but the window needs to be in a specific position to to this. The main bolts to remove the regulator are on the bottom of the door. Best bet is to mark the position or take a picture of the bolts and which holes they are in, as this is how the regulator/window is aligned, and there are 2 sets of regulator holes. I'm just going off of memory here so forgive me if I miss something. I also remember that it is much easier to do if the window is either fully up or fully down, as certain positions some of the holes will be blocked - which obviously makes it hard when your window is stuck. I left the motor attached to the regulator assembly when I removed mine as it is much easier to handle this way. Before you do anything examine the door frame and locate any access holes for the bolts so you can see exactly what position works best.

I recommend buying the motor and regulator assembly as a complete set rather than try to piece them together. I got mine on Amazon and 92249759 is the correct part number. They are out of stock right now but seem to come back in stock rather regularly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rock Auto is another option. No matter where you get it I would advise against going with the Doorman as some people say it of very crappy quality compared to OEM, but if this is your only option I am sure it will be fine. Most of the auto parts stores only carry the Doorman unfortunately.

Edit: Just noticed you already ordered it. I'm an idiot
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
spyderbuddy

well, got the parts ordered from The local Autoparts store. Went ahead and got motor and regulator.
in the mean time got some sound deadener from a local stereo Dealer and did the Wheel well on the trunk.
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
well, got the parts ordered from The local Autoparts store. Went ahead and got motor and regulator.
in the mean time got some sound deadener from a local stereo Dealer and did the Wheel well on the trunk.
Yeah, I don't know if there really is a downside to the Doorman anyway, it's just what I read when I was looking for mine. All I would care about is if the window goes up and down reliably.

Damn, that came out really good. Very clean install. I'd like to do that to mine as well. I heard it helps a bit to keep some of that drone out of the cabin.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
Old 09-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #6
Cristjw

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS 2LT convertible
Quote:
Sound deadener looks great. How much weight added, do you guess? With the top up on my convertible it sounds like the trunk deck is missing. Maybe this would help.
Cristjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #7
spyderbuddy

Got the old Regulator out
Attached Images

Last edited by spyderbuddy; 09-24-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:15 PM   #8
spyderbuddy

This was not that hard, more of a headache of taking the door panel off than the regulator out. AS you can see the old Regulator is Trash

Now 5 Bolts take the hold assembly out, But remember the front bolt that holds the glass in is just a clamp, the back bolt is a thru bolt, it goes thru the glass so it has to come completely out.

Bad news the new regulator (Doorman) was bad right out of the box.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
spyderbuddy

I did get the window to stay up

Another thing i found out, but not quite sure, if the window motor is unplugged that door will not lock.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #10
InFiD3ViL

I was hoping I was wrong about the Doorman. That sucks. Now what?
Old 09-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #11
spyderbuddy

well learned a couple of things today
First Do not order a doorman window regulator
Went back to the Autoparts store and ordered a new GM Replacement
Second if you unplug the window Motor that door will not lock.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #12
spyderbuddy

Got the replacement in Today. Everything works, Went in like a dream these car are really simple to work on. Bolted Regulator back in with the Motor in the up position, installed glass (left all bolts loose/snug), Rolled it up down a couple times and then tighten all bolts.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #13
spyderbuddy

Only adjustments i had to make was from the window bolts up and down to get it to seal.

This is and Easy job.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:46 PM   #14
spyderbuddy

Quote:
oh my God, I cant believe the difference this little bit of Sound deadener did for my car.

finally got the door back together and the car on the Hwy today and I could not believe the difference in noise