Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 05-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #57
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
For an update, I've driven about 4000 daily driven miles and everything is still good, pump works, no play in the turbo but still have some leaks. It seems I can only hit full boost (5.8 psi and opens the wastegate) when I shift gears and then the boost drops back down to 4 psi and stays steady (wastegate stays closed). If I drive within a gear and gas it, the boost only gets to 4psi and stays steady. If I'm driving at WOT and wind out each gear I can get near 5.8 psi in the end of 5th but never quite get there to open the wastegate. I've tried with the 7 psi and 10psi spring and same thing, full spring pressure at gear shift but only holds 4-5psi. Also the boost dips a little bit when I floor it and then rises again. Does anyone know where this leak could come from (The wastegate line references the intake manifold and no vacuum leaks at idle)?
I know I have an exhaust leak but it has to be something else too because I can make 5.8psi when I shift gears.
Man, that's weird. I'm going to have to think about that. Tracy's suspension is supposed to be over today, so maybe he'll have some insight.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #58
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Man, that's weird. I'm going to have to think about that. Tracy's suspension is supposed to be over today, so maybe he'll have some insight.
Thanks Gretchen, I hope he can help. I've built a homeade boost leak tester which I will perform when I can find my air compressor. The car still runs so I'm not too concerned at the moment but I need to fix all leaks before I datalog again.

Do you have the turbo's back on your car yet? It seems IPS is on a roll with their twin kit so I hope you can fully finish yours and get updated numbers. I know you can effortlessly break the 400whp mark!
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #59
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
The dip is due to how much extra air can flow, as you hit full throttle. I alot of aftermarket kits on cars do this.

As for the leak...hmmm....Have you tried the soapy water method, pressurizing the system from an air compressor?

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #60
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Thanks Gretchen, I hope he can help. I've built a homeade boost leak tester which I will perform when I can find my air compressor. The car still runs so I'm not too concerned at the moment but I need to fix all leaks before I datalog again.

Do you have the turbo's back on your car yet? It seems IPS is on a roll with their twin kit so I hope you can fully finish yours and get updated numbers. I know you can effortlessly break the 400whp mark!
Nope, havent' even taken off yet. Things at work are just getting busier and busier, so it won't happen soon. I've some ideas and will keep everyone posted as they flesh out.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #61
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
3min is correct but I also suspect a boost leak that is only occuring at the 4-5 PSI level. Double check all couplers and make sure you have bead rolled tube ends and band clamps. I have seen some hard to find leaks that the joint appeared fine but would open and let boost bleed-off when a certain pressure level was reached.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #62
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
3min is correct but I also suspect a boost leak that is only occuring at the 4-5 PSI level. Double check all couplers and make sure you have bead rolled tube ends and band clamps. I have seen some hard to find leaks that the joint appeared fine but would open and let boost bleed-off when a certain pressure level was reached.
Thanks 3min and SC, welcome back also!

I haven't performed the boost leak test yet but from looking at the empirical evidence, could the leak be coming from after the throttle body or intercooler since I was able to build enough boost to open the wastegate w/ 5.8 spring when I referenced the compressor outlet and still make the same 4-5 psi at the boost gauge?
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #63
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Check how well the MAP sensor is seated/secured. Big boost can pop them out.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote