Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 12-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: Rally Yellow 2012 ZL1
My new obsession... ZL1

11-20-2016 After nearly 80,000 miles, 5 years, and a TON of mods/memories, I said "Good bye" to my 1st obsession, a'11 2LT/RS.... and "HELLO" to a '12 ZL1.... (only 20k miles on it)

..... This is the 1st time I've ever purchased a pre-owned vehicle from a dealership & not from a family member. I hope I did the right thing.... LET THE MODS BEGIN!

But before the mods could begin, I had to drive it up to watch my son graduate Army basic training. (He was shocked to see the ZL1... it took him a minute to realize that it wasn't our old V6 )

Performance / Engine Mods:
  • Clutch Reservoir Relocation Kit (JDP)
  • Cold Air Intake (CAI)
  • Mild to Wild NPP controller
  • Remote Clutch SPEEDbleeder line (Tick Performance)

Cosmetic & Miscellaneous Mods:

Future Mods:
  • Headers

Last edited by FNG; 12-07-2021 at 01:43 PM.
FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

11-26-2016 Afterburner tail lights, sequential turn signal pigtails & concept side markers installed

12-3-2016 Clutch Reservoir Relocation Kit installed
Stock reservoir is shared between the brake & clutch....

Removed dirty brake fluid from the reservoir; but no ALL of it.

SLIGHTLY bent the bracket on the new brake reservoir to prevent the hose from rubbing against the body.

For some reason, getting the clamp seated properly was an absolute B**CH! (we ended up using a little WD-40 on the hose and it slid right into place.

installed...

this shows where the hose would rub if the bracket wasn't slightly bent before installing..

12-3-2016 Tick Performance Remote Clutch SPEEDbleeder line install...

pulled the lower panel off...

getting a socket on the bleeder is tough... it's a tight fit, and if we dropped the socket, or the bleeder into the bell housing, we'd have to pull the tranny. :(

This is my buddy Greg... using the force, and praying... and probably peeing a little... while he attempted to remove the the old bleeder. (He did it on his SS, so we figured "No problem... YOU GOT THIS!")

There is an obvious difference between the '12 SS bleeder (top) and the '12 ZL1 bleeder (lower)

ZL1 (left) SS (right)

Fabricated a "ghetto bracket" and installed the speed bleeder.

12-3-2016 ZL1 Mild to Wild installed..

Last edited by FNG; 12-09-2016 at 12:08 PM.
FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

12-3-2016 Subwoofer, Kenwood DDX9903S & Pac-Audio Dash kit installed
Before....

removed...

Installed (with custom start up splash screen created and added)
Old 12-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Love the PAC install - still debating if I want to go that way after doing the MyLink upgrade a couple of years ago -- looks awesome though!

-don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Love the PAC install - still debating if I want to go that way after doing the MyLink upgrade a couple of years ago -- looks awesome though!

-don
Thanks Don.

If you've recently upgraded to the MyLink system, my suggestion (for what it's worth) is to wait.... Sure, Android Auto / Apple Car Play and some of the other bells & whistles of an aftermarket head unit are great, but not if you just spent a large chunk of change to get the MyLink system retrofit. It's also worth mentioning that PAC is working on an updated version of the kit that addresses many customer concerns, and I'm sure will be well worth the wait.

- Jay
Old 12-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Awesome.

Great jobs with the mods. Well done.

I'd love to see this "ghetto" bracket for the tick bleeder. Been thinking of doing this for a while.

Congrats on the new"ish" ride. The ZL1 is a whole another beast. I went from a V6 2LT Camaro as well and it was night and day driving experience.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
Thanks Don.

If you've recently upgraded to the MyLink system, my suggestion (for what it's worth) is to wait.... Sure, Android Auto / Apple Car Play and some of the other bells & whistles of an aftermarket head unit are great, but not if you just spent a large chunk of change to get the MyLink system retrofit. It's also worth mentioning that PAC is working on an updated version of the kit that addresses many customer concerns, and I'm sure will be well worth the wait.

- Jay
Nice! I'll keep a lookout for that...

I have the old head unit still so I can do the setup with it when the updated PAC unit comes out!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Congrats to you and your son Jay. Build is looking great so far.

You got Bumblebee's big brother now
Old 12-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #9
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Awesome.

Great jobs with the mods. Well done.

I'd love to see this "ghetto" bracket for the tick bleeder. Been thinking of doing this for a while.

Congrats on the new"ish" ride. The ZL1 is a whole another beast. I went from a V6 2LT Camaro as well and it was night and day driving experience.
Thanks... congrats to you too. You're absolutely right about the driving experience. It's totally different... and awesome!

here are a few pics of the bracket we made for the tick speedbleeder... I just ran out to the parking garage and snapped 'em with my phone.
We just put heat shrink over a piece of metal, bent it to 90 degrees, put two holes in it for mounting, then used an extra clamp thing he had laying around the shop to hold the bleeder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
Congrats to you and your son Jay. Build is looking great so far.

You got Bumblebee's big brother now
Thanks!
I was just about to supercharge the LLT when I realized it would be better for me to just drop that money as a down payment on a ZL1.... so now I have a supercharger, and a few more bells & whistles.