Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
FASTNUF

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 White Vert
BMR Strut Tower Brace Installed on ZL1 Vert

Just finished installing the BMR model STB020 strut tower brace this evening on my 2017 ZL1 convertible. I have not yet driven the car as the weather got bad / raining now, but suppose to clear up tomorrow and I hope to get some miles down to see if I notice anything different. To be honest, not really expecting much because car chassis is tight and I even get 1 wheel off the ground driving in & out of my driveway.
Really bought it more for aesthetics, the car without it feels solid with no flex.

It did rub/hit my hood underneath on first install and had to move it around / adjust it, but as for now, seems ok. Hoping no issues once I start driving.
Here's what I learned on my install, hopefully it can help others - I originally centered the brackets around the strut using the inner circle as a guide. Tighten everything up, close the hood and it rubbed/hit on the right side. See the pic.

I loosened everything back up, moved the brackets "off center" closer towards the firewall. See the pic. Tightened everything back up, and seems to fit. Again, still need to drive to see if anything rubs / hits, etc.

I bought it from Dynosteve at RDP Store, fast shipping, best deal on the planet! All my transactions with him have been excellent, great forum supplier!
Attached Images

FASTNUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #2
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
U r n my neck of the woods. We need to exchange info so we can meet up and roll out some nights.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
FASTNUF

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
U r n my neck of the woods. We need to exchange info so we can meet up and roll out some nights.
Yeah, Cinco Ranch area. Usually don't get much driving until weekends as my job keeps me busy all week long, but have met others from the forum up at the new Buc'ees on occasion. Not my DD, but if the weather is good, I try to take some runs when I can.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Did you get a chance to drive today? Curious if you found any noticeable increased stiffness in the steering.

Install looks good, curious as to how you moved it though to keep from impacting the hood.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
Tachitup

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE M6; previous 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
great install pics and thankyou for your business sir
Has BRM fixed the improper design so the bar doesn't hit the hood ?
Tachitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
FASTNUF

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
Did you get a chance to drive today? Curious if you found any noticeable increased stiffness in the steering.

Install looks good, curious as to how you moved it though to keep from impacting the hood.
Well - it rubbed again after the first drive! Crap!! See the picture, damn it! I checked after a short city 3 mile drive and saw the new rub mark. I then drove another 40+ miles with some quick accelerations runs from dead starts to see if that would do anymore rub / damage. Looked like a slightly more rubbing happened. The picture is after about my complete drive.

As for your question on how I moved the brackets, the 3 bolt holes are oversized and I slid them as far as I could in the opposite direction to see if I could get the cross bar more into the hood indention for more clearance. I guess the next possible move may be to make the holes in the brackets oblong of sorts to drop the bar slightly more on that side. Figure if I could gain an 1/8" that would be more than enough. Just need to make sure that as I get closer to the blower lid that I maintain enough room there as well. Or I guess I could return it, not sure just yet. It's not my DD, so I think I will ask Pete at BMR if making the bracket holes slightly oblong will hurt anything first or if he has any suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Wtgrantham

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 Convertible
Why bother with it? What’s to be gained? Frame is stiff already
Wtgrantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
FASTNUF

I agree with you, as I stated at the beginning, it was more for aesthetics. I think it kind of finishes the engine compartment off for ME after I added the Rotofab CAI. I took it through the same curves that I normally play on and I don't believe I gain much if any at all. Again, I agree the 6Gen Vert is very stiff from the factory.

I will see what I want to do next later this week...
Old 12-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #9
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtgrantham View Post
Why bother with it? What’s to be gained? Frame is stiff already
If this is true why does GM install one on the SS convertibles?
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #10
rjacobs

Drives: none
Is the bar solid or hollow? I cant remember from the other thread.

If its solid, put a semi heavy chamfer on the edge where its rubbing... Might need to take it somewhere with a mill to do a nice job along the entire edge, or just take a tiny bit away with a dremel and then finish it with some fine grit sand paper.

That is if you want to keep it.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:55 AM   #11
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTNUF View Post
Well - it rubbed again after the first drive! Crap!! See the picture, damn it! I checked after a short city 3 mile drive and saw the new rub mark. I then drove another 40+ miles with some quick accelerations runs from dead starts to see if that would do anymore rub / damage. Looked like a slightly more rubbing happened. The picture is after about my complete drive.

As for your question on how I moved the brackets, the 3 bolt holes are oversized and I slid them as far as I could in the opposite direction to see if I could get the cross bar more into the hood indention for more clearance. I guess the next possible move may be to make the holes in the brackets oblong of sorts to drop the bar slightly more on that side. Figure if I could gain an 1/8" that would be more than enough. Just need to make sure that as I get closer to the blower lid that I maintain enough room there as well. Or I guess I could return it, not sure just yet. It's not my DD, so I think I will ask Pete at BMR if making the bracket holes slightly oblong will hurt anything first or if he has any suggestions.
If you really just want the aesthetics of it you could likely achieve enough clearance by elongating the holes but, it may just allow the bar to move around.

The BMR folks likely need to manufacture a narrower bar - after all it isn't providing much in the way of stiffening the suspension.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:27 AM   #12
Wtgrantham

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6-M22 View Post
If this is true why does GM install one on the SS convertibles?
No idea, but I went from an 11 SS Convertible to an 18 ZL1 Convertible the 11 had plenty of flex the 18 drives like a coupe, the difference is amazing.
Wtgrantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #13
Ricco

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTNUF View Post
I agree with you, as I stated at the beginning, it was more for aesthetics. I think it kind of finishes the engine compartment off for ME after I added the Rotofab CAI. I took it through the same curves that I normally play on and I don't believe I gain much if any at all. Again, I agree the 6Gen Vert is very stiff from the factory.

I will see what I want to do next later this week...
Where are these curves you speak of? Around here, I can't find much of anything besides long ass straights, sometimes with tiny kinks in them, at best.
2005 STI
2001 2.5 RS

Previous cars in chronological order
2016 GT350, 2014 MEV Rocket, 2013 Nissan Qashqai + 2, 1.6L Diesel, 2010 Nissan Note 1.5L Diesel, 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins, 2009 Subaru Impreza STI, 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, 2004 Mini Cooper S, 1997 Subaru Impreza Catalunya special Edition, 1992 Daihatsu Charade GTti, 1978 Mk1 Ford Fiesta
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #14
FASTNUF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
Is the bar solid or hollow? I cant remember from the other thread.

If its solid, put a semi heavy chamfer on the edge where its rubbing... Might need to take it somewhere with a mill to do a nice job along the entire edge, or just take a tiny bit away with a dremel and then finish it with some fine grit sand paper.

That is if you want to keep it.
It's a hollow bar. Thinking if I elongate that one bracket, probably be fine. Going to take the week to think about it.