Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #43
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicSix6 View Post
By law, dealerships are allowed to charge up to 400% markup on parts and service.....
Like the guy said below;

By RIGHTS I can take it somewhere else.

I'm picking it up today. The paint will be finished.

One thing to note here is that not only will they NOT be making any money on my alignment, they won't see my car again for anything but warranty work. Ya, they get paid by GM for warranty stuff but I use the dealers I buy my cars from. Lexus and Jeep and Chevy. Well, I'll take my car to the Jeep place or maybe just do it myself.

If I have no warranty issues, they won't see my car again.

To be fair, when I pick my car up today, I'll verify with them that I'm not over-reacting. I want a breakdown of the cost. According to the lady I talked to on the phone, they are charging 2 hours for researching the proper specs, and then the rest is what their standard price is for a 4 wheel allignment. w'hich would still be around 180.00 but I could live with that. I have a feeling I will now be able to get it done for around the 120.00 to 150.00 range. I don't mind paying a little more to use the dealership but this is crazy.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #44
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
Dude, its a dealership, they're ripping you off if you go with them.
My salesman keeps leaving messages on my home phone to get my oil changed soon since its on special: $110.... The oil and filter were $60 from wal mart. Tell the dealerships to go go suck a fat one. Bastids.
Holy crap. I've had all mine done at the dealer so far and it is only 80.00 total. Which is a shocker that they were so screwball on this.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #45
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
way too much $ (as you know and have already decided)

Dealerships are rip offs, especially in the service department.
________
Buy vaporizers

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 10:43 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #46
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
way too much $ (as you know and have already decided)

Dealerships are rip offs, especially in the service department.
As I mentioned already, they seemed reasonable on the oil changes. I just went out and got my last recipt from an oil change I got last Monday. $83.46

Not too bad.

I want to be fair about this and dont think I'm being unreasonable.

I own a business myself and I would do the alignment at this point for the standard cost.

I would not have a problem charging someone 370.00 for it as long as I called them before hand and told them I was gonna have to do some research and they would be 'On the clock' so to speak. Then I would be justified in charging them. But I got the call AFTER they did their 'research'
Old 02-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #47
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
That is high if they are not installing some type of aftermarket camber or caster kit. 80.00-100.00 would be normal for a four wheel alignment even with it being lowered.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #48
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Sounds like they spent time looking for the specs and decided to charge me for the time spent.

Quote:
As I mentioned already, they seemed reasonable on the oil changes. I just went out and got my last recipt from an oil change I got last Monday. $83.46

Not too bad.

I want to be fair about this and dont think I'm being unreasonable.

I own a business myself and I would do the alignment at this point for the standard cost.

I would not have a problem charging someone 370.00 for it as long as I called them before hand and told them I was gonna have to do some research and they would be 'On the clock' so to speak. Then I would be justified in charging them. But I got the call AFTER they did their 'research'
when I lowered my 94Z, I took it to the local tire shop that damn near EVERYONE uses and they told me flat out they wouldnt touch my car cus they thought the springs had been cut (instead of swapped for lowering springs).

I drove it over to Sears and they did the alignment to the specs I asked for $75.00
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #49
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
No extra parts either. It's not like they had to buy stuff for it. Or use stuff on it. Just allign it. I don't care WHAT they say. You just don't pay 370.00 for an allignment.

Bay Chevrolet, Mobile, AL is an awesome dealership till you get around back.
Did he ask you to spin around and stare at your mouth a lot while he talked?
He wanted you around back alright

BTW... I watched the vid... Good job
Old 02-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #50
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
I find too that car dealerships seem to be completely useless once you stray away from anything factory/stock. It is like they live in a bubble, completely oblivious to any after-market applications.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #51
PQ
Booooosted.

Ok, I picked the car up earlier today. The paint work was perfect. They did a really good job. Painted the whole rear deck lid. No problems there.

I just couldn't allow myself to leave without talking to the service manager.

She of course remembered me from the situation that led up to the fuse pull. I asked her why the alignment would cost so much and she said that when they saw the car was so much lower that they didn't know what to do. I dont' have time to post the entire conversation but the 'long short' of it was, and I quote from her, "These guys do tune ups, oil changes and simple service work, they don't do performance modifications. They aren't trained for that kind of thing."

So I figure she did me a favor.

When they came to her and showed her what they were dealing with she said, and I quote again, "DO NOT PUT THAT ALIGNMENT EQUIPMENT ON THOSE WHEELS". When they asked her why she said "Because I know who's car that is."

Again, they were quite embarassed after the whole fuse pull thing. The fact that I had to fix my own car while they told me time and time again that there was nothing wrong with it.

I then asked her if she knew that these wheels were FACTORY EQUIPMENT, she said yes, but she didn't feel comfortable with them working on it.

Basically the 370.00 thing was their way of telling me that they won't work on a modified car.

So there you have it. I showed the Pfadt spec sheet to a local shop and he said he'd do it for 90.00 so I will have him do it on Monday.

Bay Chevrolet won't work on a car that has been modified with aftermarket stuff.

I got no problem with that. But they should have just told me that to begin with.

(I feel that she wasn't completely honest with me on how it all went down but I do know that they just didn't want to fool with it because they had some rookie guy working on it at the time)
Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #52
Steve1968LS2

Drives: 1968 LS2 powered - Bad Penny
I paid $65.95 for a four wheel alignment at at GOOD shop..

The price they quoted you is a complete rip off.

1968 Camaro - 461 RHS LS 700hp, various stuff, called Bad Penny
1968 Camaro - In progress, called Track Rat
2010 Camaro - DSE Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Boze Wheels, Nitto NT05 Tires, JBA Exhaust and long tubes, Magnacharger TVS, 660rwhp Forged Eagle 416 LS3 short block, ADM fuel system, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, G-Force axles, Anvil and Seibon CF parts, Centerforce Dual-Disc Clutch

www.fquick.com/steve1968ls2
Steve1968LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #53
PQ
Booooosted.

Oh ya, took this picture while I was there, with my iPhone.

The cost of an alinment was on the list.

Name:  IMG_0729.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  89.9 KB
Old 02-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #54
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Oh ya, took this picture while I was there, with my iPhone.

The cost of an alinment was on the list.

Attachment 91685
Is there a way to make this... ... REALLY BIG?

Where's some pics? Couldn't tell much from the vid so close in the garage.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #55
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Where's some pics? Couldn't tell much from the vid so close in the garage.
Well, I am putting some on as soon as I get to the house. I'll be leaving the office in about 15 minutes.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #56
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
OK Randy, I'll do it for $350.00...

Just dirive it to FL and I'll hook you up.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote