Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 02-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
RareDarkness

Drives: 2013 ZL1 CAMARO
oem tires+loose stone on road

I did some searching and didn't really come up with an answer.
I'm interested in replacing the oem GY tires with something to better suit my driving habits. While the GY tires are pretty sticky and I'm sure make for a good connection with the road. (I only have about 40 miles on the car) But here in Michigan our roads are just shit. Often the roads are riddled with small rocks and pieces of asphalt patch material that has come up. The 2 miles to and from my house have left me going under 10mph if I want to try to avoid throwing rocks all down the sides. And I would often encounter shitty roads like this while driving. I'm wondering if there is a worthy tire that stands on to any street driving. I most likely wont track the car, at least not with the set of wheels and tires I'd drive regularly with. I do plan on taking the car upwards of the 600whp or so mark in the future as well. I need something that'll obviously hook up well and handle Michigan's decaying roadways without sending so much debris down the side of my car. Any suggestions?

I have already added flares behind the front tires and will be adding some clear vinyl on the gill area to help protect from rocks.
RareDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I went with BFG's Comp 2 A/S...For a DD excellent handling, quiet, smooth ride, good thread pattern, speed rated for our cars and is a 45,000 mile tire...Doesn't pick up debris...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
I went with BFG's Comp 2 A/S...For a DD excellent handling, quiet, smooth ride, good thread pattern, speed rated for our cars and is a 45,000 mile tire...Doesn't pick up debris...
Do you notice a difference in grip from the stock GY's with these tires?
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareDarkness View Post
I did some searching and didn't really come up with an answer.
I'm interested in replacing the oem GY tires with something to better suit my driving habits. While the GY tires are pretty sticky and I'm sure make for a good connection with the road. (I only have about 40 miles on the car) But here in Michigan our roads are just shit. Often the roads are riddled with small rocks and pieces of asphalt patch material that has come up. The 2 miles to and from my house have left me going under 10mph if I want to try to avoid throwing rocks all down the sides. And I would often encounter shitty roads like this while driving. I'm wondering if there is a worthy tire that stands on to any street driving. I most likely wont track the car, at least not with the set of wheels and tires I'd drive regularly with. I do plan on taking the car upwards of the 600whp or so mark in the future as well. I need something that'll obviously hook up well and handle Michigan's decaying roadways without sending so much debris down the side of my car. Any suggestions?

I have already added flares behind the front tires and will be adding some clear vinyl on the gill area to help protect from rocks.
Removed my GY and Rims the second month I purchased my car. I have run a Michelin AS/3 on reproduction rims every since. No Rocks on sides like the GY's unless you run over 130, half the noise, and much softer ride. You cannot compare the sidewalls to the Gy's so when I track I put the OEM rims and GY's on. I ran several years ago an 11.4 @123.95 on the AS/3 at Milan so they more than meet my needs. The bigger reason I put these on is if I decide to uncover and drive during the winter like this weekend coming up, they are all season. The spec's say they are awesome in rain, but I have never driven my car in rain.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
Sad state of affairs when our American roads are like that of a third world country.

Virginia's roads suck as well.

Michelin MPSS for me.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:15 PM   #6
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
Do you notice a difference in grip from the stock GY's with these tires?
The grip of the BFG's was a considerable difference for me, but I bought my car used with about 3,500 miles on the GY's and I finished wearing the rears out quickly...Overall the feel of the BFG's is certain and the car feels more planted to the roadway with increased traction in all weather conditions, with an expected 45,000 mile life...They hook extremely well in the lower gears also...My car is a DD and this will be my go to tire at replacement time...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
The grip of the BFG's was a considerable difference for me, but I bought my car used with about 3,500 miles on the GY's and I finished wearing the rears out quickly...Overall the feel of the BFG's is certain and the car feels more planted to the roadway with increased traction in all weather conditions, with an expected 45,000 mile life...They hook extremely well in the lower gears also...My car is a DD and this will be my go to tire at replacement time...
Same here. I've noticed increased grip and I feel more stable in the triple digits. Great tires and great price!

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Really? INCREASED grip with the BFG's over the stock GY's?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
I can launch 715whp pretty well and I feel way more secure with the BFG's. I have even tracked with them on and they felt good. Will they stick as well as a GY's on a hot day, no but in almost all other driving they are better. I like the looks of the GY best out of the bunch and I like the looks of the BFGs over the MPSS. The MPSS are the best all around tire but you pay almost twice as much.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
Really? INCREASED grip with the BFG's over the stock GY's?
Definitely. You don't have to heat up the BFG's like you would the GY's to get grip. From a dig, the BFG's just seem to grip way better for me. Maybe I didn't give the GY's a fair run, but I feel much more confident with the BFG's.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #11
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Definitely. You don't have to heat up the BFG's like you would the GY's to get grip. From a dig, the BFG's just seem to grip way better for me. Maybe I didn't give the GY's a fair run, but I feel much more confident with the BFG's.
There are a lot of tires that will hook better than the stock Gy's from a dig, but very few that will compete to their holding capabilities at temp for similar dollars.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
No one ever mentions NT01's. Do they not come in the right size for your Camaro's?
I love those tires on my Vette.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #13
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
No one ever mentions NT01's. Do they not come in the right size for your Camaro's?
I love those tires on my Vette.
I'm considering these next on my ZL1. They have the front 285/35-20 size but the rears will have to go to 315/30-20.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #14
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Interesting... I might have to give these a try.