Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #29
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
I would call them back, tell them you have the spec sheet in hand, and quote them $120-150 if they want the job. The kicker is, they ALREADY DID THE RESEARCH, although I've never heard of a dealership charging for reasearch either. They can either eat the time for research and get NOTHING or eat the time and make $$ on the alignment. The choice is theirs.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #30
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I would call them back, tell them you have the spec sheet in hand, and quote them $120-150 if they want the job. The kicker is, they ALREADY DID THE RESEARCH, although I've never heard of a dealership charging for reasearch either. They can either eat the time for research and get NOTHING or eat the time and make $$ on the alignment. The choice is theirs.

I got this. http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-alignment.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Pq, Is that why you have a microwave with an upside down plate for a turntable instead of a new one?
Allready broke that one too.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #31
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Ok, I am an alignment technician. I work on tractor-trailers, and most trucks with 3 axles can be done for less than $300. Ok, to be honest, if a guy comes in with an exotic suspension that requires different adjustments, or more labor intensive adjustments I will have to charge more. Alignments are pretty competitively priced. I can imagine at $79.99 for a car you can't be allowed more than an hour. So I am guessing at $370 they had an extra 4 hours somehow. Right off the bat if a customer comes in with something other than stock I will tell that customer it will take longer, and this is why... The dealership should have told you it will be more expensive. I can guess they don't do too many Camaros, let alone ones that have been altered. There will be numerous adjustments, right and left toe, camber and caster. Rear toe and camber as well. There is a lot going on, but they really should have told you up front, or at least midway though when they were having trouble. I would definitely ask why it took so long and why you weren't told how expensive it would be. Maybe with the suspension you put on that time and cost is actually justified. Some suspensions are just really hard to work on, no design for serviceability what-so-ever.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #32
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Ok, I am an alignment technician. I work on tractor-trailers, and most trucks with 3 axles can be done for less than $300. Ok, to be honest, if a guy comes in with an exotic suspension that requires different adjustments, or more labor intensive adjustments I will have to charge more. Alignments are pretty competitively priced. I can imagine at $79.99 for a car you can't be allowed more than an hour. So I am guessing at $370 they had an extra 4 hours somehow. Right off the bat if a customer comes in with something other than stock I will tell that customer it will take longer, and this is why... The dealership should have told you it will be more expensive. I can guess they don't do too many Camaros, let alone ones that have been altered. There will be numerous adjustments, right and left toe, camber and caster. Rear toe and camber as well. There is a lot going on, but they really should have told you up front, or at least midway though when they were having trouble. I would definitely ask why it took so long and why you weren't told how expensive it would be. Maybe with the suspension you put on that time and cost is actually justified. Some suspensions are just really hard to work on, no design for serviceability what-so-ever.
Well from what I understand it's just the camber and toe. And it shouldn't be too hard if I give them those two numbers. I told her when I dropped it off that I had them if they needed them.

So I doubley agree. They should have called me.

Oh well. I'm picking it up this evening and tomorrow morning I'll pay somone else to do it. And they will have apperently waisted bout 3 hrs.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #33
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The OE aligment specs would work just fine. Looking at your attachment compared to the OE specs, they just have a hair more neg camber and a hair more castor. Which has more to do with a performance oriented alignment than the fact that is has a lower ride height.

An hour to research Ask them if they ever heard of Google.

I found the OE specs and several recommendations from aftermarket suspension suppliers in a couple minutes. All the aftermarket specs are doing is giving it a bit more caster and neg camber for better track handling. You could do that same thing with the OE ride height.

The downside of a performance alignment is more tire wear, and on a car you cant rotate the tires, might get expensive. Many have found that out on Corvettes. It gets passed all around the internet to do this special alignment with more negative camber. And then the following year those same folks are griping that the inside edges of their tires are wiped out.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #34
PQ
Booooosted.

No extra parts either. It's not like they had to buy stuff for it. Or use stuff on it. Just allign it. I don't care WHAT they say. You just don't pay 370.00 for an allignment.

Bay Chevrolet, Mobile, AL is an awesome dealership till you get around back.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #35
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
Quote:
I would tell them to blow chunks. (chunks is my dog)
thanks i needed that
Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #36
partsguy

Drives: 2004GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
No extra parts either. It's not like they had to buy stuff for it. Or use stuff on it. Just allign it. I don't care WHAT they say. You just don't pay 370.00 for an allignment.

Bay Chevrolet, Mobile, AL is an awesome dealership till you get around back.
thats sad. at all dealerships ive worked at its been the other way around in most cases. ive always work for a top notch fixed ops dept. i wish i was close enough to help you man. BTW sorry i re-read your post i didnt realise you didnt buy it. there morons to have the balls to ask you to pay that much more for the alignment. they were just trying to get you.

if someone calls it a "stealership" its because they have obviously gone to horrible dealerships who give us good ones a bad name. its sick. i would never cheet or steel from a customer.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #37
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy View Post
thats sad. at all dealerships ive worked at its been the other way around in most cases. ive always work for a top notch fixed ops dept. i wish i was close enough to help you man. BTW sorry i re-read your post i didnt realise you didnt buy it. there morons to have the balls to ask you to pay that much more for the alignment. they were just trying to get you.

if someone calls it a "stealership" its because they have obviously gone to horrible dealerships who give us good ones a bad name. its sick. i would never cheet or steel from a customer.
Well, I think those guys got a bad idea of me back in June when I went in there like 6 times telling them there is something wrong with my car and they never found anything until I was able to prove (with the fuse pull) that there was. They appolagized but I have a feeling they still dont' like me because of it. And I was NEVER a dick to them, because you're right. The service department is usually the one that you can get along with.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #38
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
By law, dealerships are allowed to charge up to 400% markup on parts and service.....

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #39
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Well from what I understand it's just the camber and toe. And it shouldn't be too hard if I give them those two numbers. I told her when I dropped it off that I had them if they needed them.

So I doubley agree. They should have called me.

Oh well. I'm picking it up this evening and tomorrow morning I'll pay somone else to do it. And they will have apperently waisted bout 3 hrs.
Exactly Camber and Toe no big deal - Dang Stealership!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #40
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicSix6 View Post
By law, dealerships are allowed to charge up to 400% markup on parts and service.....
By free choice, we are allowed to NOT use them.

This may be the very reason FEW people use them after the warranty expires.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #41
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
$160 & someone who knows what they are doing.

You can check some of the other threads on coilover installation and even make some changes to the alignment, based on how you will be driving.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #42
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Dude, its a dealership, they're ripping you off if you go with them.
My salesman keeps leaving messages on my home phone to get my oil changed soon since its on special: $110.... The oil and filter were $60 from wal mart. Tell the dealerships to go suck a fat one. Bastids.