Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #71
PB3

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS/GFX/M6
Martin I went to Quick Align in New Braunfels. Thats who Henderson Performance contracts with. Good people there. $97 and that's because of the $30 fee for the extended wheels.

Damn this is an old thread.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #72
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
No they didn't. I'm taking it somewhere else.

I know that Pfadt gives the specs necessary but what are the chances they need to do more extensive stuff ie....parts..... to do the alignment?

It should run about $125.00 at most for a 4 wheel alignment for the Camaro.

No parts required. the suspension is pretty adjustable. You would need to slam a curb to need parts.

I have had my car aligned at *least* 6 times or so last year.. Adding new suspension items and checking alignments after changes, or trying something different for an Autocross Race.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #73
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
A high quality Pedders spec alignment takes 90 minutes on the alignment rack. The shop rate per hour times 1.5 is what the alignment should cost. The next time you need an alignment feel free to have the shop call Pedders. We'll tell them what they need to know is couple of minutes.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #74
Hess Motorsports
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS with WAY TOO MANY MODS
Alignments can vary widely by what you want done. Those basic $79 alignments are on machines that aren't as finely tuned as some of the newer systems plus there are tech's that just say "in the green is good". However when the stock camber calls for 0.9 degrees negative and the tollerance is +/- 1.0 degrees..... You can see the issue. A normal alignment shop doesn't take the time to get things even. So if you right camber is 1.2 degree negative, and your left camber is 0.2 degrees positive, you can see that it's "still in the green" but not EVEN CLOSE to what it should be. It takes real time and effort to even things out and even more time and TALENT to diagnose it if something isn't working right with a performance vehicle. So as always, you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

We charge $179 for our normal 4 wheel alignments. More if there are adjustable arms, camber/caster plates/ or crazy eccentrics everywhere. This also includes 1/2 a tank of fuel average AND driver weight compensation (cuz who really cares what the specs are when you're NOT IN IT). I cannot tell you how many people get their cars aligned without weight in the driver seat and just how much your camber and toe change once there is 200 lbs extra in the car.

Corner scaling for coil over systems and a real bump steer set up can cost upwards of $400 each if not more for a real track or street car NOT including alignments. Anyway, I could ramble on for hours about chassis set ups and alignments so I just thought my race car crew chief 2 cents would be appreciated.
Hess Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #75
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Sounds like you're being gouged solely based on having lowering springs. Lowering springs changes NOTHING with respect to alignment work. All the OEM adjustment points are still there. It's more likely that they want to charge you extra for their own time spent learning how to align a Camaro.

Dealers usually have these kind of work priced out already. Oil change, front brakes, four wheel alignment. So, it's no excuse to charge a premium for a "modified" car. Their original quoted price of $370 works out to over 3 HOURS of labour!!!! That's insane.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #76
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
$120.00 my local wheel and alignment guy for 4 wheels including all angle adjustments. Anything higher sounds unreasonable imo.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #77
Elykson
Custom One Off

Drives: 2010 Chicago Blackhawks Edition #1
I took mine to the dealership and mentioned the left rear tire looked off. They didn't think so, but checked anyway. Fixed it and didn't charge me. When I got my car, the owner of the dealership called me and told me to bring it in if I ever found anything wrong with it.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #78
98nosz28

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28
i was told that when i get mine aligned here that it will be a little more b/c they will loosen the rubber bushing and relax them. they are going to charge me a hour shop time on top of the regular price. has anyone else been told this??

2011 SS/RS synergy green, sunroof, M6. Street scene ground effects, hood spear and shark fin decals from ridergraphix.
98nosz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #79
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
All i want to know is how PQ finds all these ppl, if a dealer told me $120 i will run from them, Only go to ppl that know what there doing.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #80
JusticePete

It is the technician and not the price. It is the technician and not the equipment. Rob Anderson (Wretched Motorsports) is a manager at Expert Tire. He a an exceptionally loyal customer base and in my opinion gives away alignments. Eirc and Rich at Back Street Performance have an older alignment rack, but have been racing for over 30 years including track side support. They do fantastic work. Bruce Raymond (Raymond's Alignment) has state-of-the-art equipment and they do outstanding alignment work.

How do I know? They are Pedders Dealers and I have had them do work on my personal cars. I get a lot of alignments, but that is another story.

It all boils down to the technician having the skills and commitment to doing the job right. Talk to the shop owner or manager. Tell them exactly what you expect them to do. They will get enthusiastic because they know you as a customer will appreciate their work or start coming up with excuses not to do your alignment.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #81
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
A high quality Pedders spec alignment takes 90 minutes on the alignment rack. The shop rate per hour times 1.5 is what the alignment should cost. The next time you need an alignment feel free to have the shop call Pedders. We'll tell them what they need to know is couple of minutes.
The guys that finally did it had it done in no time and if I recall, only charged me 95.00 to do it. It's been perfect ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess Motorsports View Post
Alignments can vary widely by what you want done. Those basic $79 alignments are on machines that aren't as finely tuned as some of the newer systems plus there are tech's that just say "in the green is good". However when the stock camber calls for 0.9 degrees negative and the tollerance is +/- 1.0 degrees..... You can see the issue. A normal alignment shop doesn't take the time to get things even. So if you right camber is 1.2 degree negative, and your left camber is 0.2 degrees positive, you can see that it's "still in the green" but not EVEN CLOSE to what it should be. It takes real time and effort to even things out and even more time and TALENT to diagnose it if something isn't working right with a performance vehicle. So as always, you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

We charge $179 for our normal 4 wheel alignments. More if there are adjustable arms, camber/caster plates/ or crazy eccentrics everywhere. This also includes 1/2 a tank of fuel average AND driver weight compensation (cuz who really cares what the specs are when you're NOT IN IT). I cannot tell you how many people get their cars aligned without weight in the driver seat and just how much your camber and toe change once there is 200 lbs extra in the car.

Corner scaling for coil over systems and a real bump steer set up can cost upwards of $400 each if not more for a real track or street car NOT including alignments. Anyway, I could ramble on for hours about chassis set ups and alignments so I just thought my race car crew chief 2 cents would be appreciated.
I guess that's fine. But Bay Chevrolet does NOT fit ANY part of what you are describing.

Bottom line is a simple owering spring and a simple alignment. I don't need all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
All i want to know is how PQ finds all these ppl, if a dealer told me $120 i will run from them, Only go to ppl that know what there doing.
OH, I ran. Haven't been back since. I have Terry Thompson Chevy do mine now. Bay Chevrolet wouldn't align mine because she was afraid of the wheels. THEIR wheels. The GM ones I bought FROM THEM.

I really do get amazed at the info that streams sometimes. How some shops can't, or refuse, or are scared to do what another shop does in no time.

Hell, I still can't get a universal opinion on wether a wheel is supposed to move up and down a certain amount when spinning.

I just got done this morning with another members used 22s he bought having my shop mount and balance his and his were much smoother than mine EVER were. I guess some wheel companies acceptable tolerance is much more than others.

Quote:
It all boils down to the technician having the skills and commitment to doing the job right. Talk to the shop owner or manager. Tell them exactly what you expect them to do. They will get enthusiastic because they know you as a customer will appreciate their work or start coming up with excuses not to do your alignment.
HARD as hell to find someone who even really gives a shit. Seriously. Mobile, AL sucks BAD for this.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #82
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
HARD as hell to find someone who even really gives a shit. Seriously. Mobile, AL sucks BAD for this.
You summed it up perfectly. The tech has to give a shit. I should have said that in the first place.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #83
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
You summed it up perfectly. The tech has to give a shit. I should have said that in the first place.
What I wouldn't give for some personal service sometimes.

I actually have built kind of a repore with the shop that does my wheels. Pretty sad that I've had to have them do my wheels this many times, haha, but this morning they punched a hole in my sidewall on the front wheel. (I am finally putting in the sensors that Savini lost and later replaced)

They put two same size tires on my car so I can drive it and ordered a replacement for me. I'll go back on Monday and get it finished. Point is, I can have a bad experience like this morning and end up feeling great about it because they seemed to care. Took a while to get them to, but they do now. They explain stuff to me instead of try and BS me. Hey, I don't mind paying for great service as long as I'm getting it.

And I brought them another member (tlc9193) this morning that had work done. (His wheels look amazing) I try to take care of those who take care of me. And that's the way business works.

These days, unfortunately, we tend to feel like we are REALLY being taken care of when the retailer or servicer just doesn't mess anything up. The minimum that won't cause problems is all we want and are super satisfied to get it. Translation: It's not that hard to please a customer, so it should be really easy to impress them. I try to run my business so as to go that extra mile. Our clients stay happy because we just do a little extra and people they notice it. We CARE.

What I wouldn't give for a shop locally that get's this. The lack of said shop is the reason I'm getting pretty good at doing my own stuff.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #84
JusticePete

An old friend of mine likes to say -- Great Service isn't expensive. Great Service is PRICELESS.