Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-21-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Chirping sound at highway speeds

I have a strange chirping/squeek sound that only happens at around 70+ mph. The sound does not change based off of rpm. I have downshifted and put the transmission into neutral and the sound was still there. In the video it could be hard to hear because of all the other sounds, but it drives me insane. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/bGogyr1CYvQ
Old 01-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Kinda of hard to hear tbh. If it only happens at 70+ I would start looking at anything that can flap around in the wind at that speed.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
I have a strange chirping/squeek sound that only happens at around 70+ mph. The sound does not change based off of rpm. I have downshifted and put the transmission into neutral and the sound was still there. In the video it could be hard to hear because of all the other sounds, but it drives me insane. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/bGogyr1CYvQ
I have experienced the same exact thing. I have no idea what it was. Maybe just the wind hitting something just right?
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #4
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperV117 View Post
Kinda of hard to hear tbh. If it only happens at 70+ I would start looking at anything that can flap around in the wind at that speed.
Yeah I know the video doesn't do the sound justice but it's very audible lol. The engine sounds and road noise drown the sound out in the video. I checked and saw that it's possible that my o2 extension on the driver's side could blow around and hit the heat shield. I zip tied it pretty tight now so I'll see if that was the cause. Haven't had a chance to get up to that speed yet.
I also ordered some header wrap to stuff along the edges of the heat shield as well. Hopefully that's it. Just a very subtle annoying noise.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Sure it isn't the well documented rear view mirror whistle that happens at 30-40, then again at 70-80 depending on the position of the mirror in the housing?
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Sure it isn't the well documented rear view mirror whistle that happens at 30-40, then again at 70-80 depending on the position of the mirror in the housing?
Doesn't seem that would be the issue for me.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:42 AM   #7
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Quote:
Doesn't seem that would be the issue for me.
After watching the video again, it would seem you're right. The whistle isn't the same and pitch changes with speed more than the mirror effect. Your issue sounds mechanical TBH.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #8
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
After watching the video again, it would seem you're right. The whistle isn't the same and pitch changes with speed more than the mirror effect. Your issue sounds mechanical TBH.
Yeah. I'm thinking it's possibly a heat shield rubbing on the body from the excessive wind.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #9
havelegs

I pinpointed the noise to the drivers side heat shield rubbing on the floor pan.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Where is this spot located? I hear a creaking/chirping in stop and go traffic. It's sounds almost as if its the frame is flexing when I apply gas. It coming from around my door area and it's not the door strikers.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #11
IOM Bullet

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
It could be the styrofoam cover, over the battery in the trunk, rubbing against the steel making a chirping squeeking sound. I found that out a couple of days ago. Adjusted the styrofoam cover and chirp squeek is gone.
IOM Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #12
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
Where is this spot located? I hear a creaking/chirping in stop and go traffic. It's sounds almost as if its the frame is flexing when I apply gas. It coming from around my door area and it's not the door strikers.
The heat shield that was rubbing was on the driver's side. If you look you may find it rubbing on the left side of the heat shield which would touch the "frame". I don't have a picture of the area but will try once I am able to. Look for wear marks along any part where the heat shield could touch the floor. I also wiggled the shield around and can hear a slight noise which I was able to see where it was rubbing.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #13
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
The heat shield that was rubbing was on the driver's side. If you look you may find it rubbing on the left side of the heat shield which would touch the "frame". I don't have a picture of the area but will try once I am able to. Look for wear marks along any part where the heat shield could touch the floor. I also wiggled the shield around and can hear a slight noise which I was able to see where it was rubbing.
Thanks! I know where you're describing.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote