Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
rdsesq

Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow SS/RS
Doing a tune for 91 octane due I need an 87 as well...

I am going to do a tune. Thinking about Jannetty, since I only have an intake/exhaust & may be adding a throttle body. Plus an automatic trans tune. (target is 350RWHP at a min)

I only ever run 91 octane. However, if I am stuck in middle o freakin no where and all they have is 87 and I need to put in 7-8 gallons to safely get me to the next fuel stop where I can get 91 octane.

Do I need t get an 87 octane tune as well. The car would be running 87 for a few miles and would still have a mix lower than 91 octane when I filled up.

Does a 91 octane tune take into account such a scenario type? Or do I need to get an 87 octane tune as well. If not and I do two tunes, Do I need to switch it over manually in that circumstance and then manually switch it back? Or is the tune smart enough to figure it out on it's own? Do a fuse pull? Etc, etc, etc?

Any advice, experience would be appreciated.
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
I use dynoSteve at RDP(nothin against Jannetty!) for the past 2 years now. He has a SCT/tune deal that has lifetime updates, they sell parts to us with a discount and free s/h...

the initial tune with the 3.45's was a wakeup...the tune after I installed the 3.91's is plain freakin awesome...daily drive unless rain or snow.....can pass any emissions...20+mpg hwy...

I run 93 and when I asked Steve about when I went to 'cfest last year and had to possibly put in a lower grade..his response was the tune will adjust...he apparently does not lock his tunes to a specific octane...hopefully he catches this post and chimes in...

that's my direct experience and many others as well...good luck OP and report back!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
rdsesq

Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow SS/RS
I may have hit a snag. Does the ability to upload tunes to the SCT X4 require it be done by Windows (pc/laptop) ONLY? I have only Macs.

Never really worried about it in this day and age of the net, phone apps & wireless downloading. Especially since the SCT X4 allows wireless updates of it's own software. I can't believe they are stuck to a single platform for such a basic function.

Anybody using an SCT X4 with a Mac?
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
The SCT X4 is Windows application only..

Also.. DynoSteve maintains both high & low octane tables.. he confirmed it in the below thread. Not sure what others do so maybe just a matter of asking to be sure.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=472685&page=8

"No i maintain a high and a low octane map as you never know where you will end up or what fuel you get, the only time i do a tune that keeps both tables the same is if its for drag racing and the customer is running race fuel and only loading this tune at the track"
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
frankwjr

used laptops r cheap...
Old 01-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
There are Windows operating systems for MAC and my friends have used them with SCT.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
I use vmware fusion - have also used parallels. you can install windows on your Mac. I use it on mine for my efilive. If you have no interest in running windows inside a window, you can use the free "BootCAMP" to install windows on a separate partition.
Simply hold down the option key and restart. Your mac would then present you with the "option" to boot into windows or OSX.
I am running windows 7 as I have a older 2011 macbook pro, with a 2012 you should be able to do windows 10 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You will be just fine. Get your tune and enjoy.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Fireman124

Drives: 45th convertible ss
Check out Dino Steve at RDP. He is very easy to work with and will make any adjustments you want. His customer service and turn around time is really quick.
Fireman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Simple if you had to put 87 to get to the next gas stations just drive it normal no full throttle pulls ect and you would be fine, plus i wouldnt spend money on a tb, and the real benefit you will see with the tune is in the transmission just my opinion
Old 01-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #11
frankwjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman124 View Post
Check out Dino Steve at RDP. He is very easy to work with and will make any adjustments you want. His customer service and turn around time is really quick.
wonder if peeps read the threads from the beginning...and its dyno...
Old 01-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
I am going to do a tune. Thinking about Jannetty, since I only have an intake/exhaust & may be adding a throttle body. Plus an automatic trans tune. (target is 350RWHP at a min)

I only ever run 91 octane. However, if I am stuck in middle o freakin no where and all they have is 87 and I need to put in 7-8 gallons to safely get me to the next fuel stop where I can get 91 octane.

Do I need t get an 87 octane tune as well. The car would be running 87 for a few miles and would still have a mix lower than 91 octane when I filled up.

Does a 91 octane tune take into account such a scenario type? Or do I need to get an 87 octane tune as well. If not and I do two tunes, Do I need to switch it over manually in that circumstance and then manually switch it back? Or is the tune smart enough to figure it out on it's own? Do a fuse pull? Etc, etc, etc?

Any advice, experience would be appreciated.
I appreciate you considering JRE for your custom tuning needs.

JRE created the Remote tuning program back in Jan of 2010 via SCT, no one has tuned more of these cars than I have.

Good tunes aren't cheap and cheap tunes aren't good.

You can safely run on 87 octane with our custom tunes but you will notice less performance, these cars are designed to run on 91 octane min for best performance and fuel economy.

If you have a Mac you can use a software called Bootcamp to boot your computer in to windows and use your SCT device.

If you have an internet connection we can put your tunes on a cloud and you can get them and load them that way directly to the device without a laptop as well.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss your project.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote