Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #1373
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
COPO, if approved (and Dr. Jamie seems to be spearheading this one), will likely have more than one or two engines "certified" to cover more than one or two NHRA classes. The SEMA example has a Whippled 5.3 (327), with an n/a LS7 on the "to do" list...

I like the 20129562 Part # though...2012 as Model Year, 9562 as a continuation of the '69 COPO's 9560 and 9561...

Dragoneye, as you state, 1LE is a "parts bin special"...but the LS7 is in that same parts bin. As I've said, elsewhere, 1LE/LS3 = BOSS price (low $40s), 1LE/LS7 = BOSS LS price (upper $40s).

Hey, if they're going to "cover" the GT500, the Cobra Jet, offer several "specials" with stripes 'n trim 'n such, then why not cover BOTH BOSSes?! And we know it can be done. Instead of pestering GM for a drag-only, on-a-bill-of-sale-only COPO, why not go after them to build what is STILL obviously MIA?! In TWO flavors, ala BOSS?!

Is there a more deserving nameplate, with a more deserving mission?
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #1374
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

It also seems readily apparent the Team is interested in spreading the development co$t$ of MRC 3.0 by applying that technology to other (possible) Models. Witness 1LE's use of it. So, seeing a "Pedderized FE4" (one of the original premises of this longstanding thread) seems "remote".

MRC is no doubt a fantastic set-up, as witnessed by the 'Ring times of the ZL1. Regardless of the "specifics" of how that particular "mule" was "equipped". With less weight to carry as a 1LE (or, dare we say, Z/28?), the net results would "improve" (power aside). And, as Chev has shown with the ZR1 vs. Z06/Z07 at the 'Ring, less weight and the extra "boil" provided by a certain engine upgrade could make for a very "entertaining", BOSS-bashing Camaro...

I personally still see a valid place for the LS7, particularly IF a "hot LS3" is NOT in the cards. A "rev-able" 500hp, still pushing 200+ extra pounds vs. the BOSS LS, should create something the Ford folks will lose sleep over... Having said that, the drop in power from a 580/556 ZL1 @ 4130 (Base) to a 435hp (exhaust-tune)/430tq (same) @ 3850 (1SS) is a large drop (some would say "cliff"). 7.12 lb/hp vs. 8.85 (1LE) vs. 8.18 for the BOSS boys. With a 3850 lb. LS7? 7.62! Even with 100 lb added for HD Driveline, you still have power-to-weight of 7.82...and IRS and MRC 3.0...

1LE/LS3 > Base BOSS in performance, and = in price

1LE/LS7 > BOSS LS in performance, and >/= in price...and = Z/28

Built from 1SS genes, a 1LE or Z/28 can achieve those goals...and sell in numbers well worth the efforts.

Which then leaves the ZL1 as the "ultimate halo", a position GM seeks...and GT500 fears...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 11-01-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #1375
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
OK we have a Z28 hood now, the "Hotwheels" SE hood. Just add the Leno front fascia along with our other preferred pieces and we're done... Z28!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #1376
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
If that 1LE was to drop the 2SS interior, and add an LS7 w/dry sump....I could see a case...it'd slide in between the current Boss and Boss LS (both soon to be discontinued)...and fill the void between the SS and ZL1...

However, I still think it's more likely to see the 1LE nearly as-is in showrooms than LS7 equipped. As much as I hate to say it. :(
Old 11-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #1377
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
GM mentioned the development of a 427 for the COPO Drag Car project. Would that be a higher output than the current LS7??? Could this be the mystery motor we have been talking about? Could this missing link be added to the 1LE and be a faster than a ZL1 Z/28???

That just makes too much sense so it can't be reality. Let's go back to what we have in hand. The L/28 from Lingenfelter.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #1378
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Pete, from an overview of the COPO, the mention of its LS7 as being carburated may NOT be the "link" we seek... The tall cowl hood is for a hi-rise/4bbl moreso than the Whipple.

Having said that, I refuse (yet!) to give up hope for an LS7, track-worthy Camaro...call it what you may. To bash the BOSS LS, I simply think it's mandatory, MR 'n all...

If, by spreading the costs of MR over the ZL1 AND the 1LE AND the Z/28, the Team can reduce its unit costs to near-FE4 range, then an LS7-MR ZEE for near-BOSS LS money should be do-able...and very welcomed in the marketplace!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #1379
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
I don't know what I want any more... with all these new special edition ZL1 spin offs coming down..... carbon concept, 1LE, Cryastal Red convert., etc.... I am like a kid in a candy store... I want a ZL1, but now I am thinking I might wait until next year anad see what develops....
Old 11-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #1380
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
I don't know what I want any more... I want a ZL1, but now I am thinking I might wait until next year anad see what develops....
[in best German Doctor accent] Mein herr, you haf caught zee fever...or ZEE Fever...

A lil sip o' schnapps 'n all will be vell!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #1381
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
[in best German Doctor accent] Mein herr, you haf caught zee fever...or ZEE Fever...

A lil sip o' schnapps 'n all will be vell!
Ya, i see one car and am.... oooo i WANT THAT...... then see another one.... no that one.... then another.... etc
Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #1382
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
I don't know what I want any more... with all these new special edition ZL1 spin offs coming down..... carbon concept, 1LE, Cryastal Red convert., etc.... I am like a kid in a candy store... I want a ZL1, but now I am thinking I might wait until next year anad see what develops....
Just play the waiting game, that's what I'm gonna do. I have 3 years and 11 months if not sooner to make a decision on what to buy. I hate to jump the gun and later have buyers remorse when I could of had a Z-8.

Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #1383
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
Just play the waiting game, that's what I'm gonna do. I have 3 years and 11 months if not sooner to make a decision on what to buy. I hate to jump the gun and later have buyers remorse when I could of had a Z-8.

That's why I ordered a 2LT/M6 a year ago. I'm just enjoying the hell out of it until the last model year of the Gen5 Z/28. I've waited 30 years for this and can wait another 2 or 3 with my 2LT.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #1384
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Good to see people are FINALLY jumping on board with the LS7-powered Z/28 idea. When i left this site ALL i would get is bashed over that idea. You have no idea how many people said "its a dead motor" "its dead" "its going out" "its done" "we've seen the last of it" and EVERY YEAR itd still be available and id be there shaking my head saying "come on people, why am i the villain here" An LS7 Camaro would ROCK. I preffer N/A motors, i like being able to say "i can do all you can do without the cheater power adder" and i like doing it all in a lighter package ^_^ Im very happy to see my thoughts on the LS7 havent died off since ive been gone
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #1385
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Good to see people are FINALLY jumping on board with the LS7-powered Z/28 idea. When i left this site ALL i would get is bashed over that idea. You have no idea how many people said "its a dead motor" "its dead" "its going out" "its done" "we've seen the last of it" and EVERY YEAR itd still be available and id be there shaking my head saying "come on people, why am i the villain here" An LS7 Camaro would ROCK. I preffer N/A motors, i like being able to say "i can do all you can do without the cheater power adder" and i like doing it all in a lighter package ^_^ Im very happy to see my thoughts on the LS7 havent died off since ive been gone
I think the heavy-hitting naysayers just got tired of you LS7 cheerleaders' perseverance! Just Kidding!!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #1386
nthimage

Drives: four wheels
Send a message via AIM to nthimage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I want to spill the commercial can of beans, but I only have

• Tremec 6060 6 Speed Manual Transmission
• MTI Short Throw Shifter
• Driveshaft Shop HD 1400HP Axle Shafts
• Be Cool Radiator
• American Racing Headers
• Forgeline Wheels, 20”X10.5”
• Michelin Tires, 305/35ZR20
• Specter Werkes Extractor Hood
• RPM Six Point Roll Bar
• Corbeau TRS Leather Seats and 5 Point Belts
• LS7 Engine, 681HP @ 6700 RPM / 588 LB/FT @5600
• 9.5” Differential, 373 Ratio with no preload TracRiteฎ GT – Helical Gear Limited Slip

In a few days and no further than 10 days out. I'll name names and post a rendering. I believe that this Camaro build will be a community event. There are so many that have contributed. This thread is a perfect example. I can't imagine GM isn't watching and learning because we certainly are. The only portion of this build that will disappoint the true Z/28 enthusiast is the price point. That is the only bad news and it really isn't that bad. The first car is built to a ridiculous standard. Customer builds will reflect the customer's wants, desires and budget. Only GM would be able to produce the Z/28 with more customer friendly pricing because they won't have a pile of expensive take off parts. You know, a LS3, a Tremec gear box, Brembo brakes, suspension, wheels and tires... not to mention the labor to strip it all out.

The ZL1 posted spectacular numbers from the Ring run. I 'know' what our car would do, but knowing and proving are two different things. I have checked a number of items off my bucket list. I have not checked off the run the Ring with a Pedderised Camaro box. Then again, I wasn't too sure I would be involved in a build like this

We ran a 1:51.3 around the Spring Mountain Race Course, and finished with the 9th fastest time of the day. The remaining results are still coming in. Our goal was to finish top 10 in the road course. Not bad for a 4,100+ lbs. car [including driver] !!

Click the first link to view the gallery, which I'll be adding to throughout the next few days.

Great work Pete!

-Isaac
nthimage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro