Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #29
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by defragme View Post
Ok. Thanks. Maybe it isn't as big of a deal then, it just worried me when I saw my pressure, then went back and read this thread again where someone had posted that TSB. There may not be that big of a difference in our actual pressures. I read once that your oil pressure increases as your oil gets dirtier leading up to a change. Not sure how new your oil is but I just changed mine about 200 miles ago.

As someone else mentioned I would also question the accuracy of the 4 pack oil pressure guage and sensor that it is connected to. It isn't exactly meant to be a precision instrument.

1) Oil pressure should not increase as "oil gets dirtier"...if it is dirty enough to change the viscosity enough to notice on the guage then something is very wrong..
2) No the 4 pack guages are not precision guages,but they are not idiot guages either...and I bet they are just as accuarate as most of the commonly used aftermarket gauges that people run(that isn't saying much though). There are 2 basic types of oil pressure gauges and a sub type..
1 is mechanical..there is a hose that routes the oil directly to the gauge,oil pressure acts on a diphram..oil school
2...electronic...BASICALLY a pressure sender reads the pressure and sends that reading to the gauge in real time...reacts and is just as accurate if not more so that most mechanical gauges.

Sub type is what I call an idiot gauge,it is electronic..this type is controlled by the ECM and reads a preset postion all the times unless a certain limit is exceeded..ie the oil pressure reads in the center of the gauge from say 3 psi to 100 psi..never moves unless the pressure drops below X...it is an idiot light with the false sense that you have a gauge.

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #30
defragme

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
1) Oil pressure should not increase as "oil gets dirtier"...if it is dirty enough to change the viscosity enough to notice on the guage then something is very wrong..
2) No the 4 pack guages are not precision guages,but they are not idiot guages either...and I bet they are just as accuarate as most of the commonly used aftermarket gauges that people run(that isn't saying much though). There are 2 basic types of oil pressure gauges and a sub type..
1 is mechanical..there is a hose that routes the oil directly to the gauge,oil pressure acts on a diphram..oil school
2...electronic...BASICALLY a pressure sender reads the pressure and sends that reading to the gauge in real time...reacts and is just as accurate if not more so that most mechanical gauges.

Sub type is what I call an idiot gauge,it is electronic..this type is controlled by the ECM and reads a preset postion all the times unless a certain limit is exceeded..ie the oil pressure reads in the center of the gauge from say 3 psi to 100 psi..never moves unless the pressure drops below X...it is an idiot light with the false sense that you have a gauge.

lol...yea I dont know where I read that about the oil pressure increasing as it gets dirty but it made sense at the time. That was sort-of wishful thinking. haha...

I get what you are saying about the guage too, one reason I said it wasn't precision is because of the scale they used. It goes zero to 30 with a tick mark half way then 30 to 70. I know it isnt the idiot gauge but since they didn't use a linear scale it makes it seem as if they want you to read it as: "well my oil pressure is ABOUT this..." (since the scale is not very easy to read)
defragme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #31
pterrelljr

Drives: 2010 SS/RS L99
My 2010 SS/RS L99 was using oil like crazy they told me there was a recall and repaired it thru warranty, I checked the oil one day and it was not on the dip stick.
pterrelljr is offline   Reply With Quote