Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Question Decided To Drive The Camaro Through The Winter (Any Tips?)

As the title says, I've decided to drive the Camaro this winter. It's a '13 1LS with stock steelies & tires (BF Goodrich T/A 245/55R18 102T). Does anyone have experience with these tires in winter conditions? I just bought a house and really don't want to buy new rubber if I don't have to (tread is still great on these). Also, does anyone have any general tips for driving and maintaining Camaros in the winter?
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
azw131
Team LLT

Drives: 2012 WRX (Stage 2)
I would definitely invest in good snow tires. It'll be a lot cheaper to buy tires, than to repair your car if there you slide out and have an accident. I drove my car through the winter last year, and am glad I do not have to do it again this year. That being said, with solid snow tires, Camaros do fine in the snow. Be careful when taking off from red lights and stops in the snow, and take turns slowly with a light foot. Otherwise, you will fish tail. I know from experience. Other than that, just try and avoid those heavily salted roads for the sake of your paint, and wait for Spring to come around again

Mods: Bolt On's and Such, Some Cosmetic Stuff Too
azw131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
BBQdDude

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS
In Pa winter tires will be a must. Check out Blizzacks and Scorpion Ice rubber on tirerack.com
BBQdDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Look in the member classifieds, used deals pop up all the time.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
Really depends on the snow fall there.
Here in Michigan I run with all-season tires year round and have had no issues.
Was contemplating the "winter" tire thing but thought I have never had an issue in 30+ years of driving in Michigan winters, all with rear wheel drive cars, mostly Camaros at that!

I don't know what your conditions or terrain are like but if snowier and hillier I would probably go for the Winter tires.

Just my 2 cents.
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdDude View Post
In Pa winter tires will be a must. Check out Blizzacks and Scorpion Ice rubber on tirerack.com

we use Scorpions on our CTF fleet Camaros - and I'm very pleased with the performance - to the point that I put a set on "Mom" Settlemire's Camaro.

Keep traction control/stabilitrak on - unless you get stuck.

Watch pulling into deep snow - once the snow packs under the car and lifts the rear - you go nowhere -

Always wear your safety belts - and watch out for the other guy!
Old 10-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
ThingFish

Drives: Black 2012 LS M6
With the 1LS, between the LSD, traction control and anti-lock brakes, you'll find that it's not too bad in winter driving with the stock tires.

And on empty roads with freshly fallen snow, it's a riot to turn off the traction control and take every corner sideways.
ThingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
I have a M6 LS. My recommendation, get a good set of snow tires. Go with 235/60/18 set. This size will be better in the snow. I drive with traction control off and stability control on, and accelerate from a stop in second gear. After the first storm last year, even with the stock all season tires, it was just downright scary. I picked up a set of performance snow tires, and my car is a tank. In the winter, I wash my car at least once a week. I have a place that does hand washing with a full undercarriage wash. Message me if you have any more questions.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
RenegadeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingFish View Post
With the 1LS, between the LSD, traction control and anti-lock brakes, you'll find that it's not too bad in winter driving with the stock tires.

And on empty roads with freshly fallen snow, it's a riot to turn off the traction control and take every corner sideways.
Guilty of that.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
martyhalmi
NJ Camaro 22

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
winter tires worked out amazing for me but I have the summer only RS tires, but I agree that a set of winter tires that will last for many seasons is cheaper than repairing your car
martyhalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeSS View Post
...Go with 235/60/18 set...
I'm not up on tires as much as I should be. I understand what each number means, but can you change from one size to another (245/55/18 to 235/60/18) on the same rim, and if so, does it affect fit to rim or speedo?
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
cb4dude

Drives: 2010 LT1 M6
My advice.... DON'T!!! by the time you buy winter tires and rims, you could have bought a winter beater and kept your baby salt and snow free!!!!!
Doug Thorley Shorty Headers - K&N CAI - VMax Black Iceolator - VMax Ported Throttle Body - Hotchkis Lowering Springs - BMR Toe Rods & Trailing Arms - American Racing Rims - Polished stainless accents - Chrome Grill - 1LT Badging
cb4dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
The stock tires are manageable...I've driven through the snow in them.

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
RenegadeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
I'm not up on tires as much as I should be. I understand what each number means, but can you change from one size to another (245/55/18 to 235/60/18) on the same rim, and if so, does it affect fit to rim or speedo?
Yes, this size will not affect your speedo. I'm running this setup myself. If you go down one size on the width, you must go up one size on the sidewall of the tire to maintain the speedo calibrated. This only works (from my experience) if you go +1 or -1 on tire size on the same rim diameter.