Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #29
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Jesus man, don't be a dick.

$27.5k for a SC isn't bad.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #30
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Willy1 View Post
But guys like that are willing to pay extra to know it comes backed by Gm and came with a warranty,
A bit misleading, as it’s not a fully backed warranty. Basically they cover items not likely to break and don’t cover the ones most likely to break laid out as Eligible and not eligible

https://www.callawaycars.com/wp-cont...ample-copy.pdf
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #31
SecondZ28

Quote:

Yes you get a supercharger, exhaust, short shifter + accesories which all have real world value,

yes ZL1's are going for around $40-$45 k here even for the 2012's , and I can pick up the callaway for $27 500 with very low mileage, clean history and all paperwork and receipts. ]
I would agree that the blower adds value, maybe $3k, but I don’t think exhaust & sts add anything. They are too personalized to individual taste.

How much does it cost to import? 2012-13 ZL’s with under 10k miles for $35k can be had on this side.
'87 GN
Old 08-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #32
1Willy1

Drives: corvette z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Jesus man, don't be a dick.

$27.5k for a SC isn't bad.
Yea it seems like a decent deal , you were being a little harsh yourself calling anyone who buys a Callaway a fool

Sorry if i was harsh too

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
I would agree that the blower adds value, maybe $3k, but I don’t think exhaust & sts add anything. They are too personalized to individual taste.

How much does it cost to import? 2012-13 ZL’s with under 10k miles for $35k can be had on this side.
That's $27.5 in Canadian (21 000 usd)

35k use would be like 45k Canadian plus taxes shipping and import fees would end up costing me iver $50k

I could also get a lovely 2014 zl1 for 36k looks mint , but the extra 8 grand is alot to me and I'm not sure if I really need a track rrady car just for street cruising
1Willy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #33
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Yea it seems like a decent deal , you were being a little harsh yourself calling anyone who buys a Callaway a fool

Sorry if i was harsh too

35k use would be like 45k Canadian plus taxes shipping and import fees would end up costing me iver $50k

I could also get a lovely 2014 zl1 for 36k looks mint , but the extra 8 grand is alot to me and I'm not sure if I really need a track rrady car just for street cruising

Ah, but the beauty of the ZL1 is the mag ride with 5 different settings for street and track and in between. The extra power and robust drivetrain are hard to beat.

Unlike a Z/28 with it's DSSV shocks and lack of amenities. That's a track ready car.

But, I agree, $8K is a tough nut to crack, which is why I carry on in my SS.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #34
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Ah, but the beauty of the ZL1 is the mag ride with 5 different settings for street and track and in between.
While the Mag Ride has much to be talked about, wait til they go out and you see the Price!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #35
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:

Sorry if i was harsh too

actually thats a real steal if all you want is to cruise and go to car shows,etc.with the occasional full throttle blast to silence the haters.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #36
SecondZ28

Quote:

$21k usd is a good price. That is in line with a normal SS

$8k is a lot, but is very strong 'bang for buck' when you consider in addition to MRC you also get......LSA, MG9, 6-piston fronts, aero, forged wheels and that monster 9.9" cast iron pumpkin

Quote:
Ah, but the beauty of the ZL1 is the mag ride with 5 different settings for street and track and in between. The extra power and robust drivetrain are hard to beat.
You're thinking of PTM, that has 5 modes.

The MRC only has 3 settings, Tour/Sport/Track (each setting also includes different levels of steering feedback)
'87 GN
Old 08-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #37
1Willy1

Quote:

Unlike a Z/28 with it's DSSV shocks and lack of amenities. That's a track ready car.

But, I agree, $8K is a tough nut to crack, which is why I carry on in my SS.
indeed it is, its temtpting though but theres actually another reason why this may be a better buy for me then the ZL1

Although the ZL1 is a real beauty in stock form, I really like the look of the lowered ones, and theres no way im going to use lowering springs or swap in coils on the ZL1, so the SS may be the better buy for me at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
While the Mag Ride has much to be talked about, wait til they go out and you see the Price!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
actually thats a real steal if all you want is to cruise and go to car shows,etc.with the occasional full throttle blast to silence the haters.
That's pretty much it , although I don't go to car shows but I do wanna do a lot of exterior mods to make it look the part.

I will never track / drag /race the car.

Quote:
$21k usd is a good price. That is in line with a normal SS

$8k is a lot, but is very strong 'bang for buck' when you consider in addition to MRC you also get......LSA, MG9, 6-piston fronts, aero, forged wheels and that monster 9.9" cast iron pumpkin
)
yea that is a lot, but considering I always swap in my own 3 piece wheels and custom build them to aggressive specs I wont be needing the ones off the ZL1

Also the LSA engine itself is a better engine but doesn't seem to be a HUGE upgrade over a supercharged LS3, I know they have better oiling system but the engine is still not forged and in many respects its a similar engine.

The 2.3 magnacharger is a little bigger then the LSA'S 1.9 (I think?)

Id of course rather the ZL1 but sometimes you have to make the best out of what you have

Last edited by 1Willy1; 08-22-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #38
SecondZ28

Quote:

yea that is a lot, but considering I always swap in my own 3 piece wheels and custom build them to aggressive specs I wont be needing the ones off the ZL1

Also the LSA engine itself is a better engine but doesn't seem to be a HUGE upgrade over a supercharged LS3, I know they have better oiling system but the engine is still not forged and in many respects its a similar engine.

The 2.3 magnacharger is a little bigger then the LSA'S 1.9 (I think?)
LSA has forged crank & rods, but not pistons.

LSA has 1.9, LS9 used a 2.3 and the LT4 has a 1.7
'87 GN
Old 08-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #39
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
LSA has forged crank & rods, but not pistons.

LSA has 1.9, LS9 used a 2.3 and the LT4 has a 1.7
Correct. GM made the ZL1 better than the SS in every way. Forged internals, mag ride, larger brakes, larger half-shafts, the LSA, etc., etc., etc.. GM was so confident in the ZL1's build, the car's factory warranty remained in place even for track/drag strip use.

In layman's terms, the ZL1 is an SS on HGH and steroids. The Callaway is a third-party build on the SS platform (take an SS...add a SC, wheels and a few other aesthetics).

To each their own.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #40
BadAssBumbleBee

Drives: 2010 Callaway SC572
1Willy1, if you like the Callaway and think you can get it for a decent price, I say go for it. I didn't see how much mileage it has on it, or what year it was, so that could have some impact on the price.

I bought my 2010 SC572 after taking a 2010 SS M6 for a test drive and not being very impressed by the performance. I had an '02 Firehawk with LT's, Loudmouth, 3.73's, Vigilante 2800 and a tune at the time, and the 2010 SS didn't feel anywhere near as fast as my Firehawk.

I also had my Callaway for 2 summers before any ZL1's made it to Ontario, and when they did become available, the dealer markup on them was pretty crazy.

Here's a few pics of my Callaway.....
Attached Images

BadAssBumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:21 PM   #41
1Willy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssBumbleBee View Post
1Willy1, if you like the Callaway and think you can get it for a decent price, I say go for it. I didn't see how much mileage it has on it, or what year it was, so that could have some impact on the price.

I bought my 2010 SC572 after taking a 2010 SS M6 for a test drive and not being very impressed by the performance. I had an '02 Firehawk with LT's, Loudmouth, 3.73's, Vigilante 2800 and a tune at the time, and the 2010 SS didn't feel anywhere near as fast as my Firehawk.

I also had my Callaway for 2 summers before any ZL1's made it to Ontario, and when they did become available, the dealer markup on them was pretty crazy.

Here's a few pics of my Callaway.....
cool man , the one im looking at is EXACTLY the same as yours, in color and everything else I can see incouding the badges.

It has about 34 000 kms and is also a 2010

Im worried the 572hp wont be enough for such a heavy car and ill need to up the boost later on.

Would love to come see yours in person, im not far from Richmond hill.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:41 PM   #42
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
cool man , the one im looking at is EXACTLY the same as yours, in color and everything else I can see incouding the badges.

It has about 34 000 kms and is also a 2010

Im worried the 572hp wont be enough for such a heavy car and ill need to up the boost later on.

Would love to come see yours in person, im not far from Richmond hill.

Get a set of 4.10s from Richmond.