Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Turbocharge your way to efficiency.....and power!

I was shown this today...and was impressed, so I wanted to share.

I always wished GM had produced a Direct Injected NA version of the 2.0L Ecotec so that we could compare it's numbers to that of the Turbo version....but they don't. This is exactly what I've been looking for, though (minus the engine type, so here you have it (an Australian publication):
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109931/article.html

Quote:
A turbo engine has the potential to be more economical than a naturally aspirated engine for two reasons.
  • Thermal Efficiency
A turbocharged engine is more thermally efficient than a naturally aspirated engine. This is easy to understand when you remember that the turbo uses energy normally wasted out of the exhaust.

If you stand behind a car on a dyno as it undergoes a full power run, you’ll be amazed at the force of the gas coming out of the tail-pipe – you can feel it from literally metres behind the car. As it exits the engine, the gas is also hot – up to 800 degrees C – and it is hot because it has energy that can do work.

Since a turbo makes use of both the heat and flow, in a turbo car a greater amount of fuel is converted to useful work.

(Another way of looking at this is to consider that there is always a temperature drop across a turbo. That is, the temperature of the exhaust gas measured in front of the turbo is always higher than the temperature of the exhaust gas measured after the turbo. This temp change is indicative of the energy being taken from the exhaust gas. The turbo also takes much of the pulsing out of the exhaust gas – the reason why a turbo car usually needs less muffling of its exhaust. Again, the turbo is drawing energy from the exhaust.)

So a turbocharged engine is more thermally efficient than a naturally aspirated engine.
  • Shape of Power Curve
The other reason that a turbo engine has the ability to more economical relates to the way in which it develops power.

In a given naturally aspirated engine, the power developed at each rpm depends on aspects such as valve timing and intake and exhaust manifold tuning. For example, the engine might be ‘tuned’ to develop a lot of power at low revs. However, even with variable valve timing and variable inlet manifolds, a naturally aspirated engine with good bottom-end power is very unlikely to have good top-end power – the compromise to get the good bottom-end power output is simply too great.

The reason that good bottom-end power will improve fuel economy is that the car will be able to use low engine revs more of the time. That is, the gearbox will not need to change down, so keeping revs lower. This is important for economy as the frictional losses inside the engine increase rapidly with higher revs – the throttled engine becomes less efficient as revs rise. But low engine revs can only be used if the engine has sufficient power to propel the car at those revs!

Of course, fitting a bigger engine will give good power at low revs – but a bigger engine will also have higher internal friction, so there’s no overall gain.

Therefore, to gain the best real world economy, what is needed is a small engine (so having low internal friction) running at low revs (again, small internal frictional losses) that develops lots of power at those low revs.
And the best way to efficiently give a small engine good low-down power is to turbo it.

So let’s take a step back. In the comparison shown above of the two 2-litre engines, the turbo engine has better fuel economy, better CO2 emissions, 50 per cent more bottom-end power and 34 per cent more top-end power.
In short, it’s better in every respect (except, it must be said, cost to build).

Having driven both engines on the road in recent times, the turbo engine is massively better – and in fact in freeway travel, we scored an even greater fuel economy win to the turbo engine than the above official test figures show.
Now all we need is for GM to pop out a Turbo V6....hmmmm.........
Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
A turbocharged engine is more thermally efficient than a naturally aspirated engine. This is easy to understand when you remember that the turbo uses energy normally wasted out of the exhaust.
a turbo uses energy normally wasted... so by the turbo creating MORE heat underhood, its better?

http://camaro5.com/forums/showpost.p...3&postcount=58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

and you mean for them to pop out ANOTHER turbo v6

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
a turbo uses energy normally wasted... so by the turbo creating MORE heat underhood, its better?
What Turbo's actually do that today on OEM setups? Huge pieces that get sat there and ran WOT for a while until you get a pretty light-show for the Camera...................

OEMs wouldn't put anything under the hood and warantee itfor 100,000 miles if they didn't work well. Fwiw, I'm a big fan of those remote-mounted guys, though.

Quote:
and you mean for them to pop out ANOTHER turbo v6
yes I do. Touche.

but besides all that...I like the Eaton blowers, too. Is that what you wanted to hear?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
What Turbo's actually do that today on OEM setups? Huge pieces that get sat there and ran WOT for a while until you get a pretty light-show for the Camera...................

OEMs wouldn't put anything under the hood and warantee itfor 100,000 miles if they didn't work well. Fwiw, I'm a big fan of those remote-mounted guys, though.
go take a heat gun to a stock turbo'd car, compare it to the manifolds themselves, the turbos, and the exhaust leaving the turbo, then find the same motor N/A'd and check the heat on the manifolds and the exhaust farther down

and thats another thing with OEM turbos. they are small.

which allows them to be used for that amount of miles and not run into problems. just like motorcycle motors compared to a v-8. ever wonder why they can spin up to 14,000 rpms? cus they are smaller and have a lot less rotating mass. same applies to turbos, but i am aware that you know that. just puttin it out there

Quote:
but besides all that...I like the Eaton blowers, too. Is that what you wanted to hear?
yes, yes it is.

btw... have i told you about the new power setup for Project Darkseid?
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 06-26-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Old 06-26-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

looks like a pair of demented psycho rapist eyes looking at you when its backing into the dyno.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
fredl11

Drives: 2000 TT SS Camaro
Talking I was interested

but after reading this important information from a Cobalt Forum I am not to sure about the use of turbos or Superchargers!

Just when you thought you had seen / heard it all. This has got to be a joke, he cannot be serious!
http://cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118899

"So we all know that the supercharged engines need the intake bypass valve so they work in reverse. Otherwise the supercharger would just suck all the air out of the cylinder. So knowing that, how does the turbocharged version work in reverse? The engine is trying to suck air backwards, yet the turbo wants to spin forward so I don't see how it works. Is there some sort of exhausting intake bypass valve on the turbo version? Also, if it does have the valve, does that also mean that it can make boost in reverse? Like how much boost? Like 5 psi or does it go over 20?

Can anyone help me sort this out?"

BUT! Just ito be sure I'm going outside and have wife watch my engine as I back out of the driveway and see just exactly what the engine does with turbos when going in reverse! I'll post if anything monumental happens.

No really, he might be on to something, we've never seen what happens with the engine with a closed hood, maybe its like what goes on behind closed doors.

Daytona Sunset Orange 06 C6 Waiting for C7
2005 Sunset Orange Colorado Replaced with 2010 GMC Sierra SLE
fredl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredl11 View Post
but after reading this important information from a Cobalt Forum I am not to sure about the use of turbos or Superchargers!

Just when you thought you had seen / heard it all. This has got to be a joke, he cannot be serious!

"So we all know that the supercharged engines need the intake bypass valve so they work in reverse. Otherwise the supercharger would just suck all the air out of the cylinder. So knowing that, how does the turbocharged version work in reverse? The engine is trying to suck air backwards, yet the turbo wants to spin forward so I don't see how it works. Is there some sort of exhausting intake bypass valve on the turbo version? Also, if it does have the valve, does that also mean that it can make boost in reverse? Like how much boost? Like 5 psi or does it go over 20?

BUT! Just ito be sure I'm going outside and have wife watch my engine as I back out of the driveway and see just exactly what the engine does with turbos when going in reverse! I'll post if anything monumental happens.

No really, he might be on to something, we've never seen what happens with the engine with a closed hood, maybe its like what goes on behind closed doors.

oh, jeez. please tell me you and he are joking.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 06-26-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I'm still a fan of NA tuning.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredl11 View Post

No really, he might be on something, we've never seen what happens with the engine with a closed hood, maybe its like what goes on behind closed doors.

fixed
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
I <3 Turbos

I'm going to look into dropping one (maybe two... >.>) into the v6 camaro when I get my hands on one... I'll have to do something about that high comp. ratio though
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #12
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
No you won't, its a direct injection engine...look at the 335i engine specs...you'll be suprised how high it can be with direct injection
Old 06-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #13
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Quote:
I was shown this today...and was impressed, so I wanted to share.

I always wished GM had produced a Direct Injected NA version of the 2.0L Ecotec so that we could compare it's numbers to that of the Turbo version....but they don't. This is exactly what I've been looking for, though (minus the engine type, so here you have it (an Australian publication):
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109931/article.html

Sounds like we might expect a Camaro with a smaller turbo charged engine to help in MPG's
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
go take a heat gun to a stock turbo'd car, compare it to the manifolds themselves, the turbos, and the exhaust leaving the turbo, then find the same motor N/A'd and check the heat on the manifolds and the exhaust farther down

and thats another thing with OEM turbos. they are small.

which allows them to be used for that amount of miles and not run into problems. just like motorcycle motors compared to a v-8. ever wonder why they can spin up to 14,000 rpms? cus they are smaller and have a lot less rotating mass. same applies to turbos, but i am aware that you know that. just puttin it out there
Here is another article from the same awesome Aussie website (I showed the first one to Dragoneye) about the different ways automakers use turbos. http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2786/article.html

After reading it I think that a small turbo is kind of like a low stall torque converter, it makes a lot of sense for a daily driver which is after all what they are building. Sure they will choke before they hit the readline, but there is very little lag and peak torque is avaible from 2k to 5k (or so) and I'll make that trade for my daily driver.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote