Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

View Poll Results: Supercharger or Turbo?
Supercharger 74 65.49%
Turbo 39 34.51%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #71
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
^ I think they already have one for the CTS... or was that whipple, or eaton, or...

One of them will if they don't already.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #72
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Magnuson would be my first choice...but from what I've seen of STS's systems...they're pretty impressive...

There is minimal lag. Not anymore than you'd expect from a regular turbo setup. The intake piping utilizes about the same volume as an intercooler+piping on an underhood setup; so there really is no difference. The turbo(s) are sized specifically for the rear-mount application; to reduce the part that any turbo lag plays.

As for the rock...why aren't you worried about your exhaust piping or your oilpan? The turbo housing is built out of tougher stuff than those two...

And the hack-saw. If that's a serious concern in your area; then the phrase "Proceed at your own risk" comes to mind. You don't have to use STS.

I've read several magazines articles, and seen a few tv shows that feature their system. It really is VERY impressive. The power is there, the ease of install, obviously the heat from a traditional turbo is gone, and it could be argued that the cost is a plus, too....especially considering what you'd expect the results to be (eg. terrible lag).

EDIT: having said all that...what do you think the odds are of Magnacharger fabbing a kit for the V6 Camaro?
I know Jerry Magnuson is not against putting blowers on smaller engines..ie. elise, or the 50hp theoretical engine he talks about in my "magnuson speaks" video. I even saw a bike at the auto show that Jerry told me had a maggie on it. Old style he called it.

So if the marketing makes sense. He would most likely be in.
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com

Last edited by Wm Holden; 08-02-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #73
06TBSS

Drives: '06 TrailblazerSS / '05 Evo RS
Blowers are awesome for holeshot, low end torque car bowling and less fuel MPG. STS solution is cool(literally) for several reasons for certain other drivers.

1.If you value the factory 23-25 mpg and like the option to not use boost so you wont use extra fuel.

2. No I.C. needed on STS since the return pipe to the TB 'is' the intercooler as air is moving over it always. Also, the rear mount allows underhood wiring/rubber to last since no extra heat generated.

3. Wheel/housing is specific application for quick spool. Some people don't want to worry about belts, bearings, whining at idle and blowing tires at launch w/ insta-torque from a blower. Your fastest 5.0L shootout guys are all running turbos now. Let your cubic inches get you going and the linear snail finish things off

4. CA and Desert owners for instance don't worry as much (or any) about any rain and water filled flash flooded streets like say houston or Atlanta driver who is concerned about water splashing the housing and intake filters on a DD. Here in the West we have mountains and on-camber turns EVERYWHERE and canyon carvers like linear Turbo's for tractability/handling/car behaviors.

5. A little weight out back on a Gen 5 might get it nearer 50/50 weight distribution also, ala better handling.

6. Exhaust quieting naturally from the turbos. In CA loud exhaust always gets cops attention as they have been known to 'mic' cars as they drive by. 95 DB limit

7. New Camaro has ALOT of room between the grill and condensor for an IC for high boost apps unlike previous 3/4 Gens.

There are so many combo's/options no particular 'magic forced air' mod for everyones needs. Gonna be an unreal cash cow for the aftermarket.
'06 TBSS-Vector tune/CAI, '05 Evo RS,....300whp AWD, 3150 lbs, Defi H.U.D, Past GM's: '85 442 Cutlass, '89 IROC-Z L98 EFI trapped 107mph, '92 1LE Z28(stock), '00 Silverado 3/5 drop Budnik 20'sI <3 my HUD

Last edited by 06TBSS; 08-03-2008 at 12:38 AM.
06TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #74
str8himalaya
A lot to learn!

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Before you do any type of forced induction, do very thorough research. If you do not know the pros and cons of each already, we cannot advise you. You should be on the verge of a degree in physics before you install any type of forced induction. It is neither simple nor easy to install nitrous oxide, a turbocharger, or a supercharger. Get some books on each type of forced induction and learn about them. Make a class of it before you consider installation. Failure to do this may result in a motor without pistons.

I do not mean to pick on any of your opinions with this post, but this is the best advice I can give. All of us posting in this thread are probably underinformed about the specifics of forced induction. It is not as simple as bolting on a few tubes and turning the key. Do yourselves a favor and do the hard research work before you do the FI build.

I have a degree in physics, and a degree in aerospace engineering, and i am still confused sometimes. lol. Just takes a lot of reading and ASKING! Ask the pros, they do this all the time, and most of the time, they are more than willing to let you in on a few things. Don't just rely on one source, use many. This site has been great for me in the short time i have been here, and i'm sure many will give you opinions, which is great. If you are making a 35k dollar investment, its only smart to know exactly whats happening.

Current Mods:
-Spectre CAI
-Straight piped
-Power Wedge
str8himalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #75
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
here's some research.....

Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #76
ponycrusher21
Christopher Fernandez

Drives: Toyota Prius
I would choose a supercharger over a turbo any day for these reasons:
#1: if I had a 600+ hp car i would probably be doing competitive driving, superchargers have no boost lag so thats a big plus in my book.
#2:the sound is f***in' awesome!!!
#3:its pretty cool when you hear the magical words "supercharged camaro" so imagine owning one.
#4:blow off valves are so annoying!!!!
ponycrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote