Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #43
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Camaro vs snow 0-1

Sorry man but you should be taking an off-road vehicle? That car was NEVER made for snow. And you living up in snow territory shouldn’t you have a beater to take?
Thanks for the information. I did not know the Camaro was not an off-road vehicle.

If I had my snow tires on I would have been fine. Up until I got this vehicle I had a 1988 Trans Am with snow tires and never had any problems. I just waited one week too long to put my snow tires on.
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #44
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Everyone saying get a "beater car" is cracking me up. A second vehicle doesn't have to be a hunk of sh*t "beater car". If you can purchase a vehicle that is meant to be a weekend toy (Camaro, Corvette, etc.), you should certainly also be able to purchase a respectable DD. Every 3 years, I lease a new Cruze RS. They're spacious, reliable and get ~40mpg.

On the other hand, if I had to work 60 hours a week to barely afford my Corvette and; therefore, also had to drive an '85 Cavalier as a DD, while eating Ramen Noodles for dinner 6 days a week...I'd probably be pretty miserable. Hey, at least I had a Corvette though, right? Who cares if I'd never be able to retire, had to work until I was 95 and died on the job. All I hope is that the younger guys would push me off to the side and keep working around my lifeless corpse.

Priorities...to each their own.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:46 AM   #45
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
I'm so sorry for you!!! I hate to see when anyone wrecks their car!!!
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:47 AM   #46
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Why would gm put a window defroster in the back if it wasnt ment for winter driving?

He also told us what the problem was.....no winter tires. It makes all the difference in the world.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #47
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
Why would gm put a window defroster in the back if it wasnt ment for winter driving?

He also told us what the problem was.....no winter tires. It makes all the difference in the world.
Receiving at least 1' of snow overnight is nothing out of the ordinary in PA, as I'm certain it is the same for you in Canada. A Camaro, that sits ~4" off of the ground, is not going through snow that is that deep. Even if you do manage to get it to move in 12" of snow, I'm sure the front of your car will look terrific after being used as a snow plow for 15 miles.

Your money, your car...

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 11-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #48
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Everyone saying get a "beater car" is cracking me up. A second vehicle doesn't have to be a hunk of sh*t "beater car". If you can purchase a vehicle that is meant to be a weekend toy (Camaro, Corvette, etc.), you should certainly also be able to purchase a respectable DD. Every 3 years, I lease a new Cruze RS. They're spacious, reliable and get ~40mpg.

On the other hand, if I had to work 60 hours a week to barely afford my Corvette and; therefore, also had to drive an '85 Cavalier as a DD, while eating Ramen Noodles for dinner 6 days a week...I'd probably be pretty miserable. Hey, at least I had a Corvette though, right? Who cares if I'd never be able to retire, had to work until I was 95 and died on the job. All I hope is that the younger guys would push me off to the side and keep working around my lifeless corpse.

Priorities...to each their own.
A beater cause road salt will eat a car to nothing. That “prized” Camaro you paid money for won’t last very long in those conditions or any vehicle. Thus.....the beater

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #49
DRKS1D3

Quote:
A beater cause road salt will eat a car to nothing. That “prized” Camaro you paid money for won’t last very long in those conditions or any vehicle. Thus.....the beater
Read my comment again. My Camaro and my Corvette never leave the garage in the winter. That is what my Cruze is for. If the snow gets too deep, my wife has a BMW X1 M (SUV) that can tackle most obstacles. Back it out of the garage and enjoy the deep snow.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #50
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post

Agreed! The Camaro like every other car on the road is designed to withstand & be used in the winter. I'm sure its why I have heated seats among other amenities to make it useful in those conditions.

That said I store mine for the winter as I have a 4 wheel drive truck & the Camaro being a toy isn't much fun to rod in the snow. No doubt with proper winter tires it would do just fine though if needed. But in the end its just a fun car not some rare exotic that should be kept hermetically sealed in plastic.

OP sorry for the accident glad you are okay & hopefully your car can be fixed the way you want it to be.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #51
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
That sucks OP but on the bright side. If totaled you shouldn't have trouble finding a new 5th Gen. They literally made over 1/2 million of them!
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #52
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Prized? Yeah, like it sits next to my prized Bugatti and Koenigsegg.

Everyone can't afford another vehicle to drive so their "prized" Camaro, or any "prized" vehicle, can sit the winter out.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #53
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
Prized? Yeah, like it sits next to my prized Bugatti and Koenigsegg.

UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #54
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Very sorry to see that - hope the insurance company treats you right.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #55
johnharry

Drives: My car is white
So sad
johnharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #56
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
The estimated finish date is December 11th. Thank you everybody for your kind words.
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote