Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
2Intense

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS
Poor Audio? Aftermarket options?

I have only had my 2014 convertible SS for a couple of months. I love the car and the MyLink System, Boston Acoustic, rear view camera, etc.

That said, I am very disappointed in the audio output. Regardless of the input (XM, iPod, etc.) the audio volume is ridiculously low. The sound quality is fine, but with the top down I would like to be able to thump it a little bit and this factory system just doesn't cut it.

I have read about the factory MTX Audio Amp/Sub (@$950) but not compatible with the convertible:

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Accessories...FcRffgod8AoABA

I also saw the Kicker VSS PCAMA13MY (@$1250) which I really liked albeit pricey but once again it is for the Coupe and not compatible with the Convertible.

http://www.kicker.com/PCAMA13MY

I had a bad experience when I replaced the factory head unit in my Corvette with an aftermarket head unit, sub and speakers. I achieved the goal of more thump and loudness but the system was never as crisp as the OEM system I removed. I do not want to make the same mistake on this Camaro and would like to find a clean factory-like solution for the convertible.

I would welcome suggestions or feedback from the forum members on the subject.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
I have been truly amazed by the Hertz line of speakers. No, not the car company - they are an Italian speaker that just sound incredible. I run them off of Rockford TX600 and TX400 amps.

I have there High Energy Series through an Audisson Bit Ten in the wife's Cruze and it sounds like a symphony. Went with the Energy Series 10" Sub and it besides being crystal clear - it is loud enough to run you out of the car Not a bad back massage either when the right song is playing!!

Clarity and control at high volume is like no other speaker I have heard - polk, alpine, Infinity, JBL, even JL.

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.

Last edited by PostNup; 01-05-2016 at 03:37 PM.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #3
2Intense

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS
PostNup, what head unit are you using and is your car the coupe or convertible? Any photos of install?

thx
2Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
Stock head unit Stealth install, everything looks stock - aftermarket decks have a way of getting your car busted into in some areas around here.

Installer tapped into outputs of stock deck. Those outputs goes to the input of the Bit Ten DSP. But Ten outputs to TX600 to run the components in the front doors. TX400 has 2 channels bridged to run the sub.

Just disconnected the speakers in the back door... They kept messing up the time alignment of the Bit Ten, and really don't contribute anything since they are ankle high on the Cruze rear doors. I don't even miss them, and people can't tell when riding in the back.

You should do yourself a favor and find a dealer close to you and give them a listen.

Hope this helps.
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, stereo, sub woofer, volume