Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Hey man I'm on your side....yes stuff will happen to the car but that doesn't mean we have to be OK with driving through crap we don't want to and dinging up our pride and joy.

If i get caught in a bad situation...say bad weather or crappy road...well "Oh wells". Nothing I can do. Doesn't mean I don't actively try to avoid these things and keep my car looking the best I can. I see no problem in that.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
That sucks. I really hate it when they tear up an asphalt road and upon reaching a concrete bridge, they leave a one or two inch lip. Even at 10 mph it feels like your front wheels are being torn off.

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #17
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Similar thing happened near my house , I said eff it , and drove through it a little slower and kept my following distance longer.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Get someone to give you a ride to someplace that sells painter's tape. Cover the most vunerable areas with that & take it off when you get home. Then go & order you some REAL splash guards! And, Yeah, with these cars unless you get the WHOLE car covered in clearbra, you are going to get paint chips. I even have them in the middle of the roof. But I do understand. I'd be feeling the same way.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Thanks all who understand

The moment of truth is coming soon!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Godspeed!
kostnkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #21
matt@lsrperformance.com

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Best thing you can do is go out and kick your car and be done with it. In all reality it's just a car and crap will happen to it. No sense in getting all stressed over it, it ain't worth it.
This reminds me of my motorcross racing days and custom helmets. We had a rule anytime you got a custom helmet, you had to put a scratch on it before you rode with it. It was for good luck.

Maybe before you leave work you should go and put a scratch in some descreet place on your car so the rock paint chip gods will look favorably upon you...
matt@lsrperformance.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
They are doing the same thing to all the roads around my neighborhood. They are doing a good job keeping all the debris contained and all the chunks off the roads though. They clean everything up before they open the roads and even run the street sweepers to get all the dirt and stuff.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #23
naSSty1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Easy Fix. First, find some bricks. Preferably large ones that can carry a bit of weight. Second, find some lumber and construct two ramps that are 7ft in length by 10in wide. Stack the brick in such a manner that one end of the ramp is lying on the ground and the other end is 18in off the ground (measurement may change based off of velocity when leaving the ramp). Now, get some distance to build speed. When you hit the edge of the ramp hit your horn imagining that it is playing the General Lee Dixie horn all while yelling Yeeee Haaw. Once you have cleared the small gravel area immediately hit the e-brake spinning her sideways, dis-engage the brake throw into 2nd gear and raising the RPM's to 3,000 and lift the clutch rapidly. Once you have completed your victory dance immediately go home to inspect the damage done while trying to avoid the smaller things in life.
naSSty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
[Question is how is this legal? Can I sue the county for damages since its a public road? Hate this![/QUOTE]

You got to be kidding. People are strange
knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by amz View Post
Similar thing happened near my house , I said eff it , and drove through it a little slower and kept my following distance longer.
+1

Check you out.... getting better.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #26
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
+1

Check you out.... getting better.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
I know I left everyone on the edge of their chair waiting to hear what happened and I know this is the internet and I should have taken pictures but I made it home. The car is a bit dirty but no big dings or scratches, I looked like a complete tard with my engineered cardboard mudflaps but my baby is ok

Luckily no work for the rest of the week, definitely thankful for Thanksgiving time off! Will see how much progress they make on Monday on the road, doubtful they will make any but definitely will be driving the DD on Monday.

To all those who think I'm crazy... Thank you, I take it with pride
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #28
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Best thing you can do is go out and kick your car and be done with it. In all reality it's just a car and crap will happen to it. No sense in getting all stressed over it, it ain't worth it. They have been doing our roads here for the past two years, you will survive.
Says the guy with a ZL1, an SS, and a sky.

Im a detailer, and I know that I can have my paint looking new for years to come. I never get behind 18 wheelers or duallies, and try not to follow close to anyone on a highway or interstate.

But in the situation you are talking, I would drive through at 2mph, and get any debris off my paint immediately, some of the road tar can permanently fuse to clear coat if its hot. Not as worried about chips, I live on a gravel road and have no chips.

So when you leave, do the same thing, pull out at 2 mph, and pull over in a parking lot or something, brush your paint or tires off and then go home.