Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #15
Pete G

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE
Just reread Olblue’s post above about getting the rotor hats and then getting ZO6 iron rings to put on.
So much information.
Thanks to all for their contributions
Pete G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #16
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete G View Post
Thanks for explanation.
I have been reading Dropspeed’s threads and even taking notes.
I am also leaning towards the C7 Z06 mostly because I can get Red to match the 1LE color even though it does say Corvette.
Just to confirm-still use only Gen 5 ZL1 rotors with ZO6 calipers?

The ZO6 calipers seem to come in two choices of red color, does anyone know which one matches the 1LE ?
J6K Red and J6F Red
I did the red ZO6 calipers and sandblasted them and redid them with the G2 epoxy caliper paint. The G2 is has excellent durability, bit I would have had a smooth finish had I sprayed them instead of brushed them. I then used some 1LE and Brembo decals from ebay. The decals have not shown any negative effects of the heat. You can look at my build thread in my sig for some pics of my calipers.

The correct color code is J6F. Check out olblue's rockauto link for that info and pics. Dropspeed's threads give the correct part #s also.

On the rotors, yes the Gen5 ZL1 2 piece rotor is what I have used. It is a fantastic rotor. I have also used the DBA 5000 rotor ring off the C7 ZO6/GS with a set of old ZL1 rotor hats. I actually have a set of old hats on ebay right now. But you can't go wrong with the ZL1 rotors. The GM OE ZL1 rotors are from Brembo. Brembo currently sells the 2 piece rotors thru their own product lines. The price on their rotors are alot less than if sourced from GM. I have a set of the lower cost rotors and they look identical to the GM Brembos. I made a thread on this recently if you want more info. Rockauto currently only has the LF, but their supply comes and goes.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...hub,rotor,1896

The Gen2 CTS-V also used the same 14.6" 6 piston setup, but used a "post pillar" one piece rotor. This rotor can be used on our Camaros as the offset was the same, and while it is cheaper, it had a history of making a clicking noise. And they don't look as sexy as the two piece!

Looks like rockauto doesn't even carry those post pillar CTS-V rotors anymore.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #17
darenf02

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP LS7 swapped
I'm interested in this setup as well. I looked on Rockauto.com and searching for parts is a bit confusing. Not a very modern website, but I guess the price savings makes up for it. Does anyone have the part numbers for these items? I'm sorry to ask and I found a few different answers in some threads just not all in one place.
C7 Z06 front calipers
ZL1 rotors front and rear
ZL1 rear calipers
brake lines needed
other mounting hardware needed
LS7 swap stage 3 cam, MSD intake, NW 103 TB, LME heads, JBA ceramic coated LT's 1 7/8" Flowmaster 3" w/high flow cats & X pipe, MPD Motorsports cowl induction hood, CAI, ZL1 front clip, Jet Mass-Air Sensor, rear valence, Stealth bulbs, 20% tint, taillight blackouts, side marker blackouts, modern SS emblem back, 427 rear emblem, S.S. rear spoiler, MGW shifter, black ZL1 replica wheels (wider), 160* thermostat, front firing 2x12" Rockford Fosgate subs, NA 619rwhp on Mustang Dyno
darenf02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:28 AM   #18
Pete G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
I did the red ZO6 calipers and sandblasted them and redid them with the G2 epoxy caliper paint. The G2 is has excellent durability, bit I would have had a smooth finish had I sprayed them instead of brushed them. I then used some 1LE and Brembo decals from ebay. The decals have not shown any negative effects of the heat. You can look at my build thread in my sig for some pics of my calipers.

The correct color code is J6F. Check out olblue's rockauto link for that info and pics. Dropspeed's threads give the correct part #s also.

On the rotors, yes the Gen5 ZL1 2 piece rotor is what I have used. It is a fantastic rotor. I have also used the DBA 5000 rotor ring off the C7 ZO6/GS with a set of old ZL1 rotor hats. I actually have a set of old hats on ebay right now. But you can't go wrong with the ZL1 rotors. The GM OE ZL1 rotors are from Brembo. Brembo currently sells the 2 piece rotors thru their own product lines. The price on their rotors are alot less than if sourced from GM. I have a set of the lower cost rotors and they look identical to the GM Brembos. I made a thread on this recently if you want more info. Rockauto currently only has the LF, but their supply comes and goes.

The Gen2 CTS-V also used the same 14.6" 6 piston setup, but used a "post pillar" one piece rotor. This rotor can be used on our Camaros as the offset was the same, and while it is cheaper, it had a history of making a clicking noise. And they don't look as sexy as the two piece!

Looks like rockauto doesn't even carry those post pillar CTS-V rotors anymore.
I can’t give enough thanks again.
What are you looking to get for the rotor hats?
I was going to say I am going to Pocono next month and also have a friend in Frackville that I had ammo shipped to and have to meet up with but seems like you are in the opposite corner of Pa.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:32 AM   #19
Pete G

Quote:
Originally Posted by darenf02 View Post
I'm interested in this setup as well. I looked on Rockauto.com and searching for parts is a bit confusing. Not a very modern website, but I guess the price savings makes up for it. Does anyone have the part numbers for these items? I'm sorry to ask and I found a few different answers in some threads just not all in one place.
C7 Z06 front calipers
ZL1 rotors front and rear
ZL1 rear calipers
brake lines needed
other mounting hardware needed
Sorry I don’t know how to post a link to the thread but you can find that link in the post earlier in this thread with the part numbers
Old 04-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #20
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
When I did my upgrade to the Z06 6 Pistons, I used the list that Nick S. Provided here:
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8744227

Third post down.

Hope it helps! cbd95z28 is also a wealth of info!
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #21
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Rotors

Actual ZL1 Caliper

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...b,caliper,1704

Z06 Calipers J56

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...b,caliper,1704

So your SS rear rotors and calipers are the same as the ZL1.
You’ll need ZL1 front lines, pad, and a pin kit.
Check KNS brakes for front Z06 rotors but you’ll need ZL1 rotor hats;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33396692488...oAAOSwEh1gDFB8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12452481856...sAAOSwX6JgdauW
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:19 AM   #22
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete G View Post
I can’t give enough thanks again.
What are you looking to get for the rotor hats?
I was going to say I am going to Pocono next month and also have a friend in Frackville that I had ammo shipped to and have to meet up with but seems like you are in the opposite corner of Pa.
I just saw this post after seeing your PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:29 PM   #23
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
I used a full set up of the 2gen CTS-V with goodrich SS ZL1 brake lines... simple swap.

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote