Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-19-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Oil Overfill

Question: How much overfill engine oil is too much?

Changed the oil on my 2014 LFX Automatic, and like a moron I overfilled it slightly, even spilling some oil on the engine (not a lot, but enough). Truth be told I checked the level that night and it was perfectly at the High mark. Next day (today) my wife and I head out on a 2 hour trip and about halfway through while on the highway doing 80 I get the flashing CEL. No noticeable misfire at all with the car, and the light turned off about a minute later. We finished the drive and the return w/o any incident.

After letting the car cool down for several hours, I check the oil level again, and this time it's slightly over the Max mark. So now I'm wondering if it's even worth me jacking up the car and draining out a little oil, or is it safe to let it be? I'm also thoroughly confused as to why the oil mark would be higher after the 4-hour trip than before. Maybe the spilled oil got onto the plug?

Last edited by ElderJ; 06-19-2021 at 11:48 PM.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:22 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Have you checked the trouble code? It should be stored even with the light off.

Depending on how overfull it is, it might have aerated the oil, causing the oil pressure to drop.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Suck it out through the dipstick tube, may be easier. Try to read the code.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:57 AM   #4
ElderJ

I have an old, barebones code reader, so I'll check it out. Also, I don't think the level is bad. It's just a little over the Max mark (1/5 of a quart at most), so that's not the issue. I'm thinking it might have to do with the oil I spilled on the engine? Some of it ran over the sides before I could towel it up, so I'm wondering if it got on some vital parts that caused the misfire.

I suppose I could pull the plugs and check them out, but that seems like too much work, especially now that the car is running perfectly fine.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:30 AM   #5
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
I run 7qts in my LFX for the past 110k miles without any issues. If you want your chains to last i'd do the same.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #6
ElderJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
I run 7qts in my LFX for the past 110k miles without any issues. If you want your chains to last i'd do the same.

I noticed that my engine takes more than the specified amount (6 quarts). Last oil change prior to this one, it took almost 6 1/2 q before hitting the high mark. This time I slightly overfilled it, but just under 6 1/2 q.

I try to keep it right at the High mark or just a hair above. My original post was out of concern that I may have overfilled it WAY too much and was just wondering.