Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-19-2023, 11:23 AM   #1
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Oil Pressure

Yesterday I finally had some time to hit up a track day for the first time this year.
It was a hotter day for here, around 95 degrees. Running Amsoil 10W40.

After about 10-15 minutes ripping around the track, I noticed my oil pressure was reading around 30psi at 5-6k RPM...
I slowed down and came off track thinking it was getting hot, but the factory oil temp guage was reading around 280-290ish.
I have hard that the factory oil temp guage is trash and does not read actual temps.

I have a mishi oil cooler and a mishi radiator. Coolant temps were fine, around 200-220 on track.

After parking it to cool, the oil pressure read this:

I have NEVER seen my pressure read that low after a session...
In tracking this car for 5 years now, I have never had seen this.

After letting it cool down and missing my next session, it came back up to normal idle pressure and got up to 50ish PSI at the top of the rev-range...

Went back out for the last session of the day, when the day has cooled a bit, and I got more laps in before I saw it starting to fall back to 305is PSI at 5-6K RPM again.

My guess is my oil temp is getting way too hot?
Was this dangerously low oil pressure?
Thoughts?

I appreciate the help here!
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 01:15 PM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Just for reference my LS7 oil press is about 70psi at 4000 RPM with temp near 220 degrees. Mobil One 5w30. My LS3 powered
C5 Z06 sees 70+ psi at 4-6000 RPM on track with oil temps above 270. Idle it's around 38 psi during cool down in paddock. I run Mobil One 0w-40 Euro. C5 has a high press aftermarket pump installed by PO so not exactly an apples to apples comparison to your set-up. 280 to 290 is hot but not excessive. I think you're wise to investigate but I personally don't know enough about the internals to help you troubleshoot. You might want to post in the engine section to get more experienced eyes on your dilemma.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:41 AM   #3
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Thanks for your input.
My normal warm idle pressure is abut 25-30PSI, so seeing this around 10PSI after 15 minutes of lapping was unexpected to say the least. I'll post this up in the engine section.
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote