Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Convert Running Lights configuration on an LS ?

On the LS the DRL are the headlights. I have installed some HID foglights on the car but would like to wire the Foglights to come on for DRL and headlights off. Actually I have gotten the Foglights to come on when the DRL mode is active I just can't figure out how to get the headlight DRL mode to go out at the same time ?

I hate tearing apart a new wiring harness !
Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
MotorCityTransplant

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro CGM 6M
How did you install HID headlights on your LS?
MotorCityTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Nutbutt

I have HID foglights installed as well as HID headlights. First set I got had a burn point in the lamp that was different than the halogen bulb. This is what people talk about aftermarket HID blinding on coming drivers. They went back to the vendor since I don't want to get pulled over. The BFxenon were same burn point as the halogens giving a nice tight focus off the reflectors. No way anyone could tell they aren't factory. I installed myself then had them checked at a local garage for proper focus and aim.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
HID's are not fans of DRL, because when DRL are on they are running at a lower voltage, and there is a great possibility that you will start see the HID's flicker.

I had them on my FJ Cruiser, and i had to disable DRL to save my ballast's.

Anyway, good luck, I personally will be installing some Halo's and (Some how) will be running them as DRL.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
BFxenon.com
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Our kits are digital, 35w, and very stable... we have not had any issues with the DRLs.

Same with the FJ cruisers!
BFxenon.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Nutbutt

The HID ballast is not powered off of the DRL voltage. The DRL voltage is just a trigger for a 12v relay which switches power to the ballast. Because of this the ballast should not drop in voltage causing a flicker. With proper power and grounding for the ballast the system should function properly.
This BFXenon system has met all my expectation and has kept the old school look to my camaro ! Sorry halo guys !
Old 03-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
probably is, i was just commenting on my own experience with my FJ Cruiser, i had a lot of flickering when i had DRL on, after i disabled them, all was good, my cousin also had the same issues with his 07 Silverado, and i told him to disable the DRL and problem solved.

but then again, it might be that the quality of the ballast was not very good. i guess ill know when i buy my HID's
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
marley.
OCD

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Installed my HIDs over the weekend and this morning I noticed when I backed out of the garage and the headlights switched over to DRLs the HIDs started flickering and after a minute or so just kicked out. When I turned them back on as headlights they came back on so they didnt blow a fuse but they are definitely flickering and dying out when they switch to DRL. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
marley. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
You need to go to Radio shack and get some 12 Volt Relays. Wire up the low beam signal to the trigger, and then wire a 12V hot lead to the relay to run the lamp. Make sure they are high current relays, because the HID's usually make a big spike in current when they start up. Steady state is lower, but they need a pretty good hit to get started.

Until then, make sure you put your lights on or you will fry your HID's when they are trying to run on low voltage.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
Nutbutt

Don't know what kit you are using but the DRL voltage is pulse width modulated to get to a lower voltage when the drls are suppose to be on. I am driving my fog lights off this trigger an had to put a 10uf cap from the trigger to ground and a diode in line of the trigger to protect the cars computer which does the pulse width modulation. If you don't do this even using a relay may result in the same flickering and a chatter from the relay.
I'm surprised that the HID headlight relay in your system doesn't have this built in? I would call the manufacturer before playing with the circuit.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:01 AM   #11
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
so did we figure out how to make the headlights not come on unless its night time?

Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
BlackMaro

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 1LT Automatic
Convert fog lights

Hey, I saw your question. I have the same question. I too would like to wire the Foglights to come on for DRL and have the headlights off. If you can help me I'd appreciate it. I have a 2010 1LT non RS model.
BlackMaro is offline   Reply With Quote