Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
Just have 2 questions that hopefully you can help me with

Just curious if anyone has encountered this particular problem....When I crack my windows open on a hot day after parking I use the key fob to lock the doors while walking away. Problem is that the car horn doesn't sound off. Fortunately the doors DO lock, I have to go back inside the car turn the key to get all the electronics back on then turn it off immediately. Only after doing this can I use the Key fob to lock the doors AND hear the car horn confirmation. I can only assume that the horn indicates that the alarm is on. This ONLY happens when I crack the windows open. Anyone encounter this?

Second question, are there any REAL benefits for getting gas with no Ethanol? Since I have gotten the car that is the only type of gas that I use and just curious about it...

Thanks in advance!
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
Just curious if anyone has encountered this particular problem....When I crack my windows open on a hot day after parking I use the key fob to lock the doors while walking away. Problem is that the car horn doesn't sound off. Fortunately the doors DO lock, I have to go back inside the car turn the key to get all the electronics back on then turn it off immediately. Only after doing this can I use the Key fob to lock the doors AND hear the car horn confirmation. I can only assume that the horn indicates that the alarm is on. This ONLY happens when I crack the windows open. Anyone encounter this?

Second question, are there any REAL benefits for getting gas with no Ethanol? Since I have gotten the car that is the only type of gas that I use and just curious about it...

Thanks in advance!
It amazes me that people can't take ten seconds of their time to do a google search (2nd question)..... I just don't get it....
http://www.google.com/#q=camaro5+gas+with+no+ethanol
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102320
Old 07-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi kappa alpha View Post
It amazes me that people can't take ten seconds of their time to do a google search (2nd question)..... I just don't get it....
Guess it depends on whether you're looking for someone's opinion or facts. On here you're likely to get the former. On google you'll get a little of both. But I was hoping you had an answer for the first question.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi kappa alpha View Post
Thanks for the unnecessary comment...but I am more interested in if it affects the parts and fuel lines. Not if it affects my HP
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
Thanks for the unnecessary comment...but I am more interested in if it affects the parts and fuel lines. Not if it affects my HP
Without stating that in the initial post how would anyone know?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I used to work for a tier 1 automotive supplier of fuel injectors, fuel rails, regulators, etc. In the early days, yes, it was a huge issue. Nowadays, not so much.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:00 AM   #7
Blakk11SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey Faytal, I have noticed the same thing on the windows and locking/arming the Camaro. If you only lower the windows a quarter inch or so then arm with keyfob, the horn will sound on my SS. If the windows are lowered more than 1/2 inch, the doors still lock but there is no horn alert. I think there is something written about this in the owners manual.

Regarding the fuel question, the non-ethanol fuel I've seen is @ BP and is 91 octane, usually costs 30-50 cents more than the BP 93 octane with the 10% ethanol content. I've used the 91-non oxygenated in the SS ocassionally and it seems ok. The 93 is what is recommended due to the high 11.x:1 compression the V8 has, it needs the higher octane to reduce the pre-detonation. Using lower octane will drop the V8 to the low oct fuel table - thus lower engine performance. The V6 is designed to run on regular fuel 87-89 and does not need 91-93.