Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-22-2023, 11:10 PM   #1
sandiego74

Drives: 1974 Chevrolet Camaro,
Autocross + Track Day Wheel and Tire Questions

I’m looking to autocross and, at some point, get my new-to-me ‘14 1LE on a real road course next year. I’m in need of help with wheels and tires, however, and am unsure of which route is best. I’ve got experience autocrossing my ‘74 Camaro in CAM, but never competitively. I only ever took it on practice days to maximize seat-time, mostly, though, because I never had Sundays off before.

1.) If I don’t plan to attend every Solo autocross event, as my weekend freetime is never consistent, so I’m more in it for the fun than the competition. That being said, when I do compete, I want to be competitive. I know I need seat-time, as my ‘14 is new-to-me as a daily driver for the past 4 months, but I am much more skilled than the average joe, so please none of the obvious “fix the loose nut behind the wheel, first,” comments.

2.) Because I won’t be competing in the season standings, does it even matter that I try and fit into the F-street rules, or should I just go for fun and compete in CAM with larger-than-stock size tires? This is the biggest problem I am trying to mentally overcome. Hoping someone can set me straight on this.

3.) The 200TW tire market has changed quite a bit since the relevant posts here were made, and RE71’s are done and dusted. I really loved the Falken RTK618+ (or whatever the hell the name of their older 200TW tire is) on my ‘74, so I wouldn’t mind sticking with them for the new 660’s. One of my CAM friends also has a red-hot red 5th gen and runs Nankings and praises them. He’s running 305’s all around, though.

4.) Anyone have any experience running 100, or so, TW tires in autocross? Tires like the Toyo R888, Goodyear SC 3R, Nitto NT01, etc.? I can get a killer deal on the Goodyears right now, but I’ve read they don’t work well in autocross as they never build up enough heat to stick properly.

5.) Because I do plan to run it on a road course, as well, would I be better off with going for a 100 TW tire, or will the 200 TW tires be fine for this use, as well?

I’m on the fence of going with a 305 squared setup on 19x11’s, or 275 squared on 19x10/19x11’s. This ‘14 1LE is my daily-driver, by the way, so I don’t want to modify it much and won’t be getting any additional negative camber for events (adjustable camber plates are enticing, though).

Thank you!

Here’s my son with the Camaros. As you can see, I loved the ‘14 hood vent and matte paint when I saw it on the 1LE so much that I put it on my ‘74.
Name:  IMG_4492.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  160.8 KB
sandiego74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:43 PM   #2
Unaf-Ford-able

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego74 View Post
Here’s my son with the Camaros. As you can see, I loved the ‘14 hood vent and matte paint when I saw it on the 1LE so much that I put it on my ‘74.
Attachment 1131917
At the very least, thank you for posting an image of a 2nd and 5th-gen together, it's almost terrifying to see how much the Camaro has grown since the 2nd.
Unaf-Ford-able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:01 PM   #3
sandiego74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaf-Ford-able View Post
At the very least, thank you for posting an image of a 2nd and 5th-gen together, it's almost terrifying to see how much the Camaro has grown since the 2nd.
Haha thanks. The 2nd Gen feels absolutely tiny, which is crazy because I thought it was massive when I was in highschool.
Old 07-25-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego74 View Post
I’m looking to autocross and, at some point, get my new-to-me ‘14 1LE on a real road course next year. I’m in need of help with wheels and tires, however, and am unsure of which route is best. I’ve got experience autocrossing my ‘74 Camaro in CAM, but never competitively. I only ever took it on practice days to maximize seat-time, mostly, though, because I never had Sundays off before.

1.) If I don’t plan to attend every Solo autocross event, as my weekend freetime is never consistent, so I’m more in it for the fun than the competition. That being said, when I do compete, I want to be competitive. I know I need seat-time, as my ‘14 is new-to-me as a daily driver for the past 4 months, but I am much more skilled than the average joe, so please none of the obvious “fix the loose nut behind the wheel, first,” comments.

2.) Because I won’t be competing in the season standings, does it even matter that I try and fit into the F-street rules, or should I just go for fun and compete in CAM with larger-than-stock size tires? This is the biggest problem I am trying to mentally overcome. Hoping someone can set me straight on this.

3.) The 200TW tire market has changed quite a bit since the relevant posts here were made, and RE71’s are done and dusted. I really loved the Falken RTK618+ (or whatever the hell the name of their older 200TW tire is) on my ‘74, so I wouldn’t mind sticking with them for the new 660’s. One of my CAM friends also has a red-hot red 5th gen and runs Nankings and praises them. He’s running 305’s all around, though.

4.) Anyone have any experience running 100, or so, TW tires in autocross? Tires like the Toyo R888, Goodyear SC 3R, Nitto NT01, etc.? I can get a killer deal on the Goodyears right now, but I’ve read they don’t work well in autocross as they never build up enough heat to stick properly.

5.) Because I do plan to run it on a road course, as well, would I be better off with going for a 100 TW tire, or will the 200 TW tires be fine for this use, as well?

I’m on the fence of going with a 305 squared setup on 19x11’s, or 275 squared on 19x10/19x11’s. This ‘14 1LE is my daily-driver, by the way, so I don’t want to modify it much and won’t be getting any additional negative camber for events (adjustable camber plates are enticing, though).

Thank you!

Attachment 1131917
I'm no professional but I'll do my best to help you out with some of the questions.

1) I think you answered that question. More seat time is always the best thing to get more and more comfortable and understanding the car. The 1LE is a fantastic car to run.

2) Not too sure on the differences anymore as I have switched from autocross to more road course. But I ran CAM-C in my stock 1LE and Z/28. It was also our local group so not sure about how hardcore they are with rules and treadwear and stuff.

3 and 4) I ran the Falken 660s this year for the first time at LSFest West. What a huge difference and fantastic tire. I have run the GY 3R both used and new at LSFest and they are worthless on autocross. I would have to say it depends on your group size though too. At a big event like that, you make one run and then wait about 10-15 minutes for all the cars to go before your turn again. So tires do not stay hot. The Falken 660s warm up fast and stay warm for autocross. They were great autocross tires. Everyone there was running those or the Yokohama Advan. As for the GY 3R. I love that tire on the road course. I think it is a fantastic tire. My next one to try is probably going to be the continental track ones. I forget their name. I do see some people running the Falken 660 on road course but I'm not sure how they compare.

As far as you being on the fence with 19's and all. I would have an extra set of track wheeks/tires if you're planning to still daily it. Also, since you're in San Diego, you should come to LSFest West next year. Then you can chat with some people that really know what they're talking about lol. Some people really compete out there. Hope this helps!
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 06:06 PM   #5
sandiego74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
I'm no professional but I'll do my best to help you out with some of the questions.

1) I think you answered that question. More seat time is always the best thing to get more and more comfortable and understanding the car. The 1LE is a fantastic car to run.

2) Not too sure on the differences anymore as I have switched from autocross to more road course. But I ran CAM-C in my stock 1LE and Z/28. It was also our local group so not sure about how hardcore they are with rules and treadwear and stuff.

3 and 4) I ran the Falken 660s this year for the first time at LSFest West. What a huge difference and fantastic tire. I have run the GY 3R both used and new at LSFest and they are worthless on autocross. I would have to say it depends on your group size though too. At a big event like that, you make one run and then wait about 10-15 minutes for all the cars to go before your turn again. So tires do not stay hot. The Falken 660s warm up fast and stay warm for autocross. They were great autocross tires. Everyone there was running those or the Yokohama Advan. As for the GY 3R. I love that tire on the road course. I think it is a fantastic tire. My next one to try is probably going to be the continental track ones. I forget their name. I do see some people running the Falken 660 on road course but I'm not sure how they compare.

As far as you being on the fence with 19's and all. I would have an extra set of track wheeks/tires if you're planning to still daily it. Also, since you're in San Diego, you should come to LSFest West next year. Then you can chat with some people that really know what they're talking about lol. Some people really compete out there. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the input! First off, I should’ve mentioned that I was planning to get a 2nd set of wheels in 19”. I talked to my buddy who runs his 2nd and 5th gen Camaros in CAM, and he said just got for the fun and get the 305’s, so I’ve got that decision made up now. Now it really comes down to which tires I want to run. Did you ever try the Falken 660’s on a road course? That’s my number 1 question, as it’s either the Falken 660’s or the SC 3R’s. I’d love to do more Road Course work rather than autocross, since I’ve already done the latter, but autocross is far cheaper, closer, and easier to participate in for me.
Old 07-27-2023, 11:40 AM   #6
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Of course!
The second set will definitely be worth it. The Z/28 comes stock with 305/30-19 so I'd say run with that as well. I have not run the Falken on road course. I purchased them this year for LSFest since they are mainly auto cross. And like I said, they seem to be the go to for everyone there and I can see why. I went to a road course last month and saw a couple people running them but didn't ask them about it. They were also in a different group then me and on some older/smaller vehicles. My thought is basically that they cost more than 3R and I didn't want to eat through them on a road course. Especially knowing how well they do on autocross. And like I said, only a COUPLE people were running them, others had the 3R, Michelin, some Continental and a few slicks. I'd say go for the Falkens if you know you are going to be doing more autocross and then if you hit up a road course, then try them out. Then you can tell me how they did lol. But if you knew you would be doing more road course, I'd go for the 3R
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:56 PM   #7
Elpalomo2014

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1ss 1le
well, I know is a late response but I run my 14' 1le on autocross twice a month and I'm running 285/35/20 on my oem wheels with Potenza's re 71rs. they are fantastic for autocross. bought them a year ago and they still have a little bit of life.

now I just purchased a set of apex wheels on 19's and the plan is to run 285/35/19 that's the set-up for the fastest guys so let's see if that's true!!
Elpalomo2014 is offline   Reply With Quote