Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #99
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I wonder....how would you feel if GM installed all those froofy options but gave us a G8 GT powertrain, brakes and suspension? All while staying at this price point. No LS3, no FE3, no Brembos, and no Nurburgring tuning....but we get climate control and a Nav unit!

Theoritical, yes...but there is some truth to the above situation. There were many trade-offs to be made when the designed and engineered this car. Understanding that, are you comfortable with the trade-offs that were made?
I don't understand why we can't get the performance, technology, and comfort items in one package without sacrificing one or all. Again for the 100,000 time, this isn't a $10,000 car. GM can afford to put in Auto Climate Controls standard on the SS and make the in dash navigation system optional on a $35k car.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #100
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
I'm going to be completely honest and say I have not read all the post here and only wanted to add a comment because this thread seems to just keep dragging on(no offence intended). But have any of you priced a sat nav update disc? 400 bones! And all the while your getting turn by turn for free with the on-star. I mean no disrespect I just dont think the sat nav that great a loss for the average consumer we are discussing above.

p.s. I u guys so please don't kill me.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #101
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
I have to say - that's a much better looking / proper center stack than the gimmicky radio/HVAC controls in the Camaro. And I like the use of real metal on the trim pieces.
While I don't agree about the center stack of the Mustang, I have to admit that I'm very jealous of the Mustangs use of real aluminum in the interior.

I actually really like the Camaro's interior design, i just wish we could also have real aluminum instead of all the painted plastic, faux aluminum that the Camaro's interior has. I'm not really fond of the fake stuff.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #102
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
I'm going to be completely honest and say I have not read all the post here and only wanted to add a comment because this thread seems to just keep dragging on(no offence intended). But have any of you priced a sat nav update disc? 400 bones! And all the while your getting turn by turn for free with the on-star. I mean no disrespect I just dont think the sat nav that great a loss for the average consumer we are discussing above.

p.s. I u guys so please don't kill me.
OMG, I didn't think it was possible to be as misinformed as you but you proved me wrong.

First satellite navigation disk do not cost $400. My father has a Honda with a factory installed navigation and the replacement disk only cost $150. This is directly from the notice he got from Honda informing him where to buy the disk. He had the vehicle for nearly 2 1/2 years and hasn't updated the disk since because the maps are still accurate.

Second, On Star turn by turn is not free at all. You might get the first year free, but after that it cost $300 a year. For $300 a year all you get is a voice telling you where to turn. No visual prompts on a big, colored, easy to read screen like factory installed navigation systems.

Please get your facts straight before posting, we have plenty of in dash navigation haters here and they will believe any misinformation/lie about the in dash systems as long as it's negative.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #103
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Many people can do without the nav disk updates anyway - I know I can. I think it's a bit pointless to defend GM on excluding this, an option like this is pretty standard on most cars today. My only hope is that they change their mind and offer something better than the On Star in late 2009 like a few of the reports said.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #104
Flighttester

Drives: 2008 Audi A4 3.2 MT S Line
Gotta have GPS. It makes long drives much more enjoyable.

I will probably junk the goofy Onstar junk asap, I'll probably also mod the center panel to take a good aftermarket GPS nav/radio system. I've got a Pioneer AVIC D-3 in my '00 MX-5/Miata and I have the factory MMS media/nav in my '08 Audi. I'm too used to having it to not want a non-hang-on model in any new car I buy from here on. It really don't cost that much to opdate the data base every three years or so. I only did it once in the six years I owned my previous Jaguar.

On initial review, it looks like maybe a double DIN radio with touch screen might fit in the center panel with some careful changes to only a few things.

That part's not too good looking as it is so it could use some improvement anyway.

Don't need/won't pay for Sat radio in any case.
Flighttester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #105
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
Many people can do without the nav disk updates anyway - I know I can. I think it's a bit pointless to defend GM on excluding this, an option like this is pretty standard on most cars today. My only hope is that they change their mind and offer something better than the On Star in late 2009 like a few of the reports said.
Exactly, On Star is good as a safety feature but not for navigation. I can't tell you how many times I didn't understand what the navigation system says, but since it has a screen with a detailed map you can make sense of it. Not so with On Star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flighttester View Post
Gotta have GPS. It makes long drives much more enjoyable.

I will probably junk the goofy Onstar junk asap, I'll probably also mod the center panel to take a good aftermarket GPS nav/radio system. I've got a Pioneer AVIC D-3 in my '00 MX-5/Miata and I have the factory MMS media/nav in my '08 Audi. I'm too used to having it to not want a non-hang-on model in any new car I buy from here on. It really don't cost that much to opdate the data base every three years or so. I only did it once in the six years I owned my previous Jaguar.

On initial review, it looks like maybe a double DIN radio with touch screen might fit in the center panel with some careful changes to only a few things.

That part's not too good looking as it is so it could use some improvement anyway.

Don't need/won't pay for Sat radio in any case.
The Camaro's radio is probably really integrated. I would be wary of removing it, God knows how complicated it would be to do. Thats why I want GM to offer a factory installed navigation. It will be designed to be integrating into the car, and the dealership services it if it doesn't work right. I like Satellite Radio and On Star as a safety device, if this car didn't have Satellite Radio it would be unforgivable since it's nearly standard on even the cheapest of cars.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #106
Flighttester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Exactly, On Star is good as a safety feature but not for navigation. I can't tell you how many times I didn't understand what the navigation system says, but since it has a screen with a detailed map you can make sense of it. Not so with On Star.

The Camaro's radio is probably really integrated. I would be wary of removing it, God knows how complicated it would be to do. Thats why I want GM to offer a factory installed navigation. It will be designed to be integrating into the car, and the dealership services it if it doesn't work right. I like Satellite Radio and On Star as a safety device, if this car didn't have Satellite Radio it would be unforgivable since it's nearly standard on even the cheapest of cars.
I sure don't want to have to 'fix' a car after I buy one, just because the manufacturer didn't think what has become a basic component is really necessary.

But, since they mandate Onstar, which I don't even want at all and even supply Sirrus/XM, which could care less about and certainly wouldn't pay for ether, I am more than willing (and certainly able) to change out a radio, even one that probably requires a little modification to the dash to get rid of.

If it really is impossible, they can keep the new Camaro till they change that.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #107
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
I sure don't want to have to 'fix' a car after I buy one, just because the manufacturer didn't think what has become a basic component is really necessary.

But, since they mandate Onstar, which I don't even want at all and even supply Sirrus/XM, which could care less about and certainly wouldn't pay for ether, I am more than willing (and certainly able) to change out a radio, even one that probably requires a little modification to the dash to get rid of.

If it really is impossible, they can keep the new Camaro till they change that.
I don't think it's impossible to change the radio, but I think it will be very hard. This site has some very smart people, I am sure someone here will find a way to change out the radio. If you don't like On Star or Satellite Radio just don't pay for it, thats much easier than removing the equipment. Personally though with my skill I wouldn't try it. I want to stick with factory installed since I had bad experiences with aftermarket electronics.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #108
Flighttester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
Few counterpoints I'll make about garmins/tomtoms

1. They're just like a radar detector, cd, purse, ipod sitting on your seat. Motivation for a break in. (sure you can disconnect it every time you enter/exit your car, but as a garmin owner I will tell you that this gets old real fast)

2. They're not ascetically pleasing. More wires plugging into your cig lighter. Non integration makes it not look nearly as nice as an integrated gps.

3. Factory gps systems can be easily modded to function as dvd and backup cameras.

I'm not fully for factory gps systems. Just wish it was an option for those who want it. Lets not forget a real good garmin goes for ~$300. Factory installed gps ~$2k.
All you say is true.

But, I'd rather have the integrated, in-dash NAV/multi-media system than a theft motivating, marginally capable hang-on unit like a Garmin or a Tom Tom.

I would pay $2,000 for an integrated unit. I wouldn't pay $300 for a hand-held.

I already own a hand-held unit for aviation use and I sure as hell wouldn't want to put up with all that 'hang-on' misery in a car.

If they had the GPS and integrated it into the HUD, then we could say they have something...
Old 12-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #109
Flighttester

Quote:
I don't think it's impossible to change the radio, but I think it will be very hard. This site has some very smart people, I am sure someone here will find a way to change out the radio. If you don't like On Star or Satellite Radio just don't pay for it, thats much easier than removing the equipment. Personally though with my skill I wouldn't try it. I want to stick with factory installed since I had bad experiences with aftermarket electronics.
I know I could change out the radio. How much it would cost to do that (with the possible center panel changes required) is another story. I'd be willing to pay a little but, I'm not sure I'd want to pay thousands to install a radio that might also cost 1 or 2 K to buy in the first place.

If it's too difficult, I'll just wait or chose a different ride.

Maybe they'll make the interior a little more attractive on the next time around anyway.

Looks a bit plasticky at the moment.

But, compared to the typical GM model, it is better than most.

Maybe 'better' is going to be too much to hope for.

Even the Corvette interior has been the cheapest part of the car for a long time now.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #110
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
OMG, I didn't think it was possible to be as misinformed as you but you proved me wrong.

First satellite navigation disk do not cost $400. My father has a Honda with a factory installed navigation and the replacement disk only cost $150. This is directly from the notice he got from Honda informing him where to buy the disk. He had the vehicle for nearly 2 1/2 years and hasn't updated the disk since because the maps are still accurate.

Second, On Star turn by turn is not free at all. You might get the first year free, but after that it cost $300 a year. For $300 a year all you get is a voice telling you where to turn. No visual prompts on a big, colored, easy to read screen like factory installed navigation systems.

Please get your facts straight before posting, we have plenty of in dash navigation haters here and they will believe any misinformation/lie about the in dash systems as long as it's negative.
1-877-NAV-DISC
Between 300-400 bones buddy. Maybe you should do your own research instead of comparing a Honda to GM. You should try not to insult a person you have never met for no reason. I was just stating my opinion in the rest of my post so ease off.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #111
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Quote:
1-877-NAV-DISC
Between 300-400 bones buddy. Maybe you should do your own research instead of comparing a Honda to GM. You should try not to insult a person you have never met for no reason. I was just stating my opinion in the rest of my post so ease off.
The Nav disc for the Vette, GP, STS, and 9-5 is only $199 and they run promotions about once a year for a discounted price. I searched few other models and all returned a price of $199.

25976806 2009 NA CORV/GP/STS/9-5
North America $199.00
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #112
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
I know I could change out the radio. How much it would cost to do that (with the possible center panel changes required) is another story. I'd be willing to pay a little but, I'm not sure I'd want to pay thousands to install a radio that might also cost 1 or 2 K to buy in the first place.

If it's too difficult, I'll just wait or chose a different ride.

Maybe they'll make the interior a little more attractive on the next time around anyway.

Looks a bit plasticky at the moment.

But, compared to the typical GM model, it is better than most.

Maybe 'better' is going to be too much to hope for.

Even the Corvette interior has been the cheapest part of the car for a long time now.
Yea I agree that the center stack has too much plastic, but other vehicles GM makes like the Malibu and CTS seem not to have this problem. The Corvette IMO has a nice interior, and it still cost less than it's competitors.

Even if you can get the aftermarket unit in without wiring issues it might not look too visually appealing. Personally it's not worth the hassle, I hope in the next model year they just add the option. It's easier to hand them the $2k and tell them I want a factory navigation system.

Quote:
1-877-NAV-DISC
Again maybe you should do some research, if GM charges that much for a navigation disk get it off of E-Bay. You can get a new navigation disk for well under $200. In some cases under $100.

BTW, yes I am right to be harsh since you failed to state the expense of On Star's navigation system and what it lacks. Next time you make an argument you should state all the facts, not just the facts you find most appealing. In dash navigation systems are overpriced, but they give you a lot more than On Star and tack on navigation systems can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigMike View Post
The Nav disc for the Vette, GP, STS, and 9-5 is only $199 and they run promotions about once a year for a discounted price. I searched few other models and all returned a price of $199.

25976806 2009 NA CORV/GP/STS/9-5
North America $199.00
Thank you for proving Robert's point moot. I tried to do some research and couldn't find any information on the price of new GM navigation disk, unless you buy on E-Bay. It seems they only give you that information if you're an owner.