Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #71
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC1464 View Post
So ill post this as i have not seen any info on it.

A ported throttle body with an electric throttle (ie no throttle cable but computer control) is done by removing a small bit of the interior "lip" to allow more air in though the throttle blade position then the computer thinks (18% open when computer thinks 15% open ). This being said the same results can be achieved by a competent tuner by just adjusting your ecm throttle table via tune to allow more air or open more by throttle response. A ported throttle body is a great idea if your not going to tune, but is kinda wasted money if your gona tune as its two different mean to achieve the same results.

I say all this to inform not to bash the product, i have a vmax throttle body and love what it did for throttle response but knowing what i know now, i would have just got it done with my tune. Hope this clears up some info for peeps
If you think a good tuner can get "ported TB" type throttle response, what do you think they could accomplish by tuning with a ported TB installed? Porting is mechanical. Doesn't matter if the TB is DBW, or cable controlled, it's still a mechanical operation. There is more going on than simple tuning can accomplish.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #72
DCC1464
COTW 5/27/13

Drives: '11 S/C SS/RS CGM
Please do explain then, the mechanical difference that cannot be achieved by tuning on a DBW. I would like to hear your informative argument, other then you just alluding to me having no idea what i am talking about.

622RWHP/512FTLBS on 91 octane
2.9l Whipple 4" pulley. Vengance VRSP3 cam. Lots of BMR & AAC. Body work by Gary's Customz. Nic D tuned
My build thread
DCC1464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #73
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Mechanical, meaning the TB receives air flow quicker from porting when the blade moves off of the idle position. It's still a mechanical process no matter which way it's operated (DBW or cable). Porting removes material from in front of the blade and in return changes when, and how much tip in off idle air the engine receives.

Can you change the tune? Yes. But you can't tune it to be as good as a properly ported throttle body. No matter what you do with the tune, you can't magically tune the material removed by porting out of the throttle body.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #74
Blueforce

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS 6M
I have just received my Bo White stage 2 throttle body and I already have CAI, scoop, Lt's, full 3" catback, and a custom tune, as soon as I opened the throttle body I compared it to the stock one and you can definitely tell it fixes some short comings of the stock one from the porting. So, I took my car for a drive before install and it was like normal. Installed the new TB and wow, instant improvement in throttle response. That little bounciness when you're shifting around is pretty much completely gone. It's like driving my cobalt again, so easy to drive. Not that the camaro was hard to drive in the first place but now its so much easier and there's no little bit of bouncing probably due to delay of air. Car feels a bit faster too. I wish this would of been one of the first upgrades I did. Very impressive. I thought it was going to be kinda bs too but its not.
Blueforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #75
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC1464 View Post
Please do explain then, the mechanical difference that cannot be achieved by tuning on a DBW. I would like to hear your informative argument, other then you just alluding to me having no idea what i am talking about.
What you are eluding to is two different things. No amount of porting will open the TB blade any quicker. That is a tuning issue. What porting a Camaro TB will do is, allow the blade to be more open, sooner. There is a "hump" at the base of the TB that the blade must overcome, before air can more easily flow in. This is where the increased throttle response comes from. Bo goes one step further and does his shaft mod to actually decrease the amount of material in the blade mechanism, thus allowing more air to flow in through the same diameter TB. Here is a picture to illustrate the differences. Note the top TB is the stock one and you can't see the bottom of the blade, because of the hump. I think the one on the right is the Vmaxx and the left one is definitely Bo's, with the shaft mod.

Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:41 AM   #76
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
What you are eluding to is two different things. No amount of porting will open the TB blade any quicker. That is a tuning issue. What porting a Camaro TB will do is, allow the blade to be more open, sooner. There is a "hump" at the base of the TB that the blade must overcome, before air can more easily flow in. This is where the increased throttle response comes from. Bo goes one step further and does his shaft mod to actually decrease the amount of material in the blade mechanism, thus allowing more air to flow in through the same diameter TB. Here is a picture to illustrate the differences. Note the top TB is the stock one and you can't see the bottom of the blade, because of the hump. I think the one on the right is the Vmaxx and the left one is definitely Bo's, with the shaft mod.

So you suggest tuning the car after installing a ported TB to get the best of it?
Old 07-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #77
tekkin5

Drives: camaro
I am gonna try it out
tekkin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #78
RS Speedriver

Drives: 2018 camaro 1ss 1LE
yes very worth it. what kinda silly question is that
RS Speedriver is offline   Reply With Quote