Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Interesting Things That You May Know...

Okay, in another thread there is discussion about things that I have never heard of, which was Puma Punku. Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260685

So after seeing that it really made me realize that people probably know of some things that others have probably never heard of and don't know anything about.

What are some unique things that some of you know about that others may not know of? Either because it's something old or just something so unique or odd that no one has ever heard of, similar to the Puma Punku example above.

Share away!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Most people think that Nuclear Fuel glows green.....FALSE, it glows BLUE. and here is why...... Cherenkov radiation (also spelled Čerenkov) is electromagnetic radiation emitted when a charged particle (such as an electron) passes through a dielectric medium at a speed greater than the phase velocity of light in that medium. The charged particles polarize the molecules of that medium, which then turn back rapidly to their ground state, emitting radiation in the process. The characteristic blue glow of nuclear reactors is due to Cherenkov radiation. It is named after Russian scientist Pavel Alekseyevich Cherenkov, the 1958 Nobel Prize winner who was the first to detect it experimentally.

Here is a picture of the Reactor Plant that I work at with the lid taken off and the fuel being removed to put new fuel in it.....

Name:  Nuclear Fuel.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  101.8 KB
Old 11-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
trewyn15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Most people think that Nuclear Fuel glows green.....FALSE, it glows BLUE. and here is why...... Cherenkov radiation (also spelled Čerenkov) is electromagnetic radiation emitted when a charged particle (such as an electron) passes through a dielectric medium at a speed greater than the phase velocity of light in that medium. The charged particles polarize the molecules of that medium, which then turn back rapidly to their ground state, emitting radiation in the process. The characteristic blue glow of nuclear reactors is due to Cherenkov radiation. It is named after Russian scientist Pavel Alekseyevich Cherenkov, the 1958 Nobel Prize winner who was the first to detect it experimentally.

Here is a picture of the Reactor Plant that I work at with the lid taken off and the fuel being removed to put new fuel in it.....

Attachment 443139
That's awesome! that's also exactly what I was thinking for when I made this thread!

Things like this or events in history, stuff like that!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I think I know that blood is really blue.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Some people may not know that the flow of time is directly affected by mass. Time moves more slowly, in close proximity to an object of great mass. This has to do with mass and its effect on gravity.

Time moves slightly slower for us surface dwellers as opposed to, say, an observer in orbit of Earth. Our GPS satellites compensate for this, and have to be calibrated regularly, and if they weren't, they would not be able to provide correct coordinates.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
trewyn15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal SS View Post
Some people may not know that the flow of time is directly affected by mass. Time moves more slowly, in close proximity to an object of great mass. This has to do with mass and its effect on gravity.

Time moves slightly slower for us surface dwellers as opposed to, say, an observer in orbit of Earth. Our GPS satellites compensate for this, and have to be calibrated regularly, and if they weren't, they would not be able to provide correct coordinates.
Interesting, what would be an example of this? Like a minute here on earth could be compared to 30 seconds to someone in orbit of earth?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
When on the ocean in the middle of nowhere, the plankton at night glow in the wakes of the boat. It can actually be quite beautiful.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
Brutal SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
Interesting, what would be an example of this? Like a minute here on earth could be compared to 30 seconds to someone in orbit of earth?
I think it's initially in microseconds, but if left uncalibrated, over time the difference would become increasingly larger. In short, the satellites must account for this difference, because if they didn't the GPS information would become increasingly more skewed.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
Brutal SS

The moon moves away from the Earth about one inch every year.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
trewyn15

Quote:
I think it's initially in microseconds, but if left uncalibrated, over time the difference would become increasingly larger. In short, the satellites must account for this difference, because if they didn't the GPS information would become increasingly more skewed.
Quote:
The moon moves away from the Earth about one inch every year.
hmm, that's awesome!

Crazy that the moon is moving away from the earth also... what if it just flies away!? lol
Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
Brutal SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
hmm, that's awesome!

Crazy that the moon is moving away from the earth also... what if it just flies away!? lol
Well, I think it is! It's just happening at a very slowwww rate. However, Im not sure if it has always been moving at this same rate since it collided with Earth billions of years ago.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
trewyn15

Quote:
Well, I think it is! It's just happening at a very slowwww rate. However, Im not sure if it has always been moving at this same rate since it collided with Earth billions of years ago.
Right, that's what I wondered also. Where this movement began and how close the moon once was to the earth.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Brutal SS

Galaxies have been moving away from each other at an increasing rate, and many billions of years from now, if there is an observer in our Milky Way (and survives the inevitable collision with Andromeda) will not be able to (with any means imaginable) observe any other galaxy. So to them, they would have no idea whatsoever that any other galaxy had ever existed.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #14
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Christianity, Judaism, and Zoroastrianism are all recognized religions in the Iranian constitution.

Also Iran has a significant Jewish population. The Jews and Zoroastrians are recognized as religious minority groups and both have exactly one seat in the Iranian parliament.

NASDAQ stands for: National Association of Stock Dealers Automated Quotes.

Sent from my abacus using precise finger movements......

Last edited by monstertodd; 11-15-2012 at 01:51 AM.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote