Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 03-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
beersngars
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Oil pump pickup bolt tip

Thought I would share this little tip that worked very well for me. I am in the middle of a cam swap, injectors, fuel system and flex fuel conversion. When I got to the removal of the oil pump, I tied a piece of fishing string to the bolt after backing it about half way out just in case it slipped out of my oily fingers. I think I got that tip here.

Now for the tip. BEFORE putting the oil pump back on, I put the bolt back up thru the flange on the pick up tube and wrapped a pipe cleaner around it about 2 times above the flange. This holds the bolt in there and is waaay easier than trying to fish it in with the pump in place. Now put the pump on and wiggle the tube in and start the bolt. once it's in a few turns, just pull on the pipe cleaner and it unwinds itself from the bolt. Just finish tightening it down. Worked great.
beersngars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:50 PM   #2
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
I'm in the middle of my build too. I ended up pulling the pan and removed the pickup tube. I actually pulled my pickup bolt out with the pan still installed orginally. I saw a guy do it on youtube and thought I would try it. I used wire and magnet to get the bolt out. but I bent my pickup tube slightly trying to pull the pump off with pan still installed. And so going back on it was crazy hard with the tube slightly bent getting things lined up and trying not to pinch the o-ring. So to make sure everything was ok. At that point I dropped the front of the pan and still had trouble. so I bought a new pickup tube and that way made sure everything went back together ok. I also bought the melling oil pump and shimmed the inner and outer routers assembly. I did more work then I wanted to but for piece of mind it was worth it.
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote