Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #57
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor View Post
You will be fine, the material is very conformable and all the larger kits are shipped rolled.
Alright cool, that's great news . Thanks for the reassurance Gonna try and get em installed tomorrow, hopefully it stays dry. Expect pictures when I'm done . Thanks again
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #58
cnrad

Okay well I was reading over the instructions for installing the tint and it says that installation should occur in temp ranges of 70-90 degrees. The problem is, since it's basically winter, it won't be 70 degrees anytime soon, or at least I don't think it will be. Would I run into any problems if I install the tint when the temp is in the high 50s? I wasn't able to install today because it was raining so I am planning on installing tomorrow but want to make sure I won't run into any problems with the temp being lower than recommended.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #59
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You'll be fine. Just use a hair dryer to warm up the vinyl before hand.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #60
cnrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
You'll be fine. Just use a hair dryer to warm up the vinyl before hand.
Alright, will do . Thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #61
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
Be sure to warm the lens and material first. Though not recommended this intrepid Charger customer in Canada installed his taillight kit (a lot harder to apply the Charger kit VS the Camaro kit BTW) when it was 5 C out...

http://www.chargerforumz.com/showpos...20&postcount=8
HeadlightArmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #62
cnrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor View Post
Be sure to warm the lens and material first. Though not recommended this intrepid Charger customer in Canada installed his taillight kit (a lot harder to apply the Charger kit VS the Camaro kit BTW) when it was 5 C out...

http://www.chargerforumz.com/showpos...20&postcount=8
Alright I'll be sure to warm both the lens and the tint, thanks for the recommendation. And thanks for showing that post, makes me feel better about installing in the cooler than recommended temperatures. I'll probably have them installed tomorrow .
Old 11-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #63
cnrad

Alright, I finally finished They look awesome! Install wasn't too hard but the outer light tints were cut a little small, but you can't really tell unless you're up close. Here are pics, sorry for the bad quality, used my bros iPod Touch because that was all I could find at the time.. I'll get some better pics later on.

Stock vs Smoke

Stock vs Smoke w/Lights

Smoke

Smoke w/Lights

Old 10-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #64
YULH8ME

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Is there a way to get only the bottom 3/4 of the light smoked/blacked out?
YULH8ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:43 PM   #65
cnrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by YULH8ME View Post
Is there a way to get only the bottom 3/4 of the light smoked/blacked out?
Quite the bump haha, but that aside...

Only options would be to buy tint film (pre-cut or not) and cut out whatever you want left stock, or mask the taillight and do a spray on tint (VHT or have a paint shop do a good tint spray). I think it might look a bit weird though, but I've never seen it so I could be wrong.

If you're thinking about it because you've seen people take pictures of their taillight tint and see the upper part lighter, that is because they used flash and it illuminated the reflector; they don't actually have that part cut out.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #66
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
Yes quite a bump, but as cnrad said you if you use a film like ours you would need to cut out the area you did not want covered. On a traditional taillight we would suggest applying as intended, wait a few minutes and then come back and score around the area you do not want covered with a new razor knife blade and remove.

In the case of the Camaro and its deeply recessed lights the recommendation would be to measure, mark and cut the material prior to application. I would measure in from the top corners a half and inch or so and then from there measure down to where you want the material to end. Transfer measurements to the material and cut. I would go a littler higher than what you think you want so the material looks like it covers what you want at various angles. Additionally you can make a paper mockup and place it on the taillight to be a better idea of what it would look like prior to cutting the material.

Hope those suggestions help.
HeadlightArmor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tail light, tail light tint, taillight, taillight tint, tint