Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #29
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I have a friend with the 5.3 in a 2009 GMC truck that had to have his oil pan replaced because of the same issue a week ago.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #30
FUN4JT

Drives: 2010 SSRS, Victory Red, 6 speed
What does the oil pan have to do with the clutch?

They had to remove the transmission to check if the rear seal was leaking, clutch had to be bleed afterwards.
FUN4JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #31
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
They leak at the seal and there is a porosity issue with the engine block, where the pan seats. Nothing new, Vettes have been leaking from their LS3's for years. GM accepts the failure rate. I don't.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #32
Davidr4113

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Oil leak...

I have the same problem some of you have been experiencing. Though i never saw oil anywhere on the ground, small amount of oil was seeping out. I noticed the smell when i first purchased it brand new from the dealer. They gave it an oil change and i was able to smell it even more. At first i thought it was just sloppy pouring of the oil, maybe it dripped onto the engine. When I took it elsewhere for an exhaust upgrade i had personally peaked underneath just because i wanted to see what it looked like. And there it was- an oil film around and near the oil filter. BTW-exhaust sounds great. I take it back - they do the whole dye thing and claimed it was a loose oil filter from the oil change. They clean it up, tighten the oil filter I was happy because i couldnt smell it anymore. I drive it 7000 miles without the smell. I take it in for a second oil change and guess what comes back... yes - the oil burn smell. yet i dont see any evidence of oil leak - too soon after the oil change- maybe not enough buildup. I take it back and after a back and forth of me saying something is wrong and service saying that they see nothing. Now they claim that there is a seep at the oil pan gasket. I now have to leave it at the shop for 3 days... is this a serious issue? I am not one to over react but this does not seem right - its a new car!!!
Davidr4113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #33
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Im taking mine in again today for the THIRD time for an oil leak. The first time was the cooler, the second time was rear main and now this time it looks like the rear main again....
Oxtar41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #34
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Davidr4113, have you ever tried having the vehicle diagnosed by another dealership to see if they are seeing the same things? That may help you with your peace of mind simply to know that what they are saying is true and what they're going after is what should be done. I hope that helps you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #35
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Service Bulletin: #05-06-01-034K 8 Apr 2010 (last year)

Go in and tell them to check the above service bulletin from last year. I noticed mine is leaking at the rear main as well today while getting a 4 wheel alignment. I'm sure they don't want to pull the tranny, but too bad, it's under warranty!

Condition
Some customers may comment on an engine oil leak.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro (1 of many different models on the list)

Cause
Upon initial diagnosis, it may be determined that the leak is coming from the rear cover gasket. This condition may be caused by engine block porosity on the sealing surface. This issue pertains to aluminum block applications only.

Correction
Follow the steps for Oil Leak Diagnosis in SI to determine the source of the leak. If the leak has been diagnosed as coming from the engine rear cover assembly, refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI and remove the engine rear cover assembly. Inspect the engine block and engine rear cover for porosity on the mating surfaces.

• If porosity is found on the engine rear cover, replace the engine rear cover assembly, GM P/N 12633579.

• If porosity is found on the engine block, use the following procedure to apply RTV to repair the engine block porosity.

The porosity issue is in the gasket sealing surface at the top of the cover, near the high pressure oil crossover port. Refer to the picture below. The oil leaks by the gasket and runs down the side of the cover, and may appear to be a leak at the t-joint area of the cover. The fix is to replace the cover with GM P/N 12633579. Also, if porosity is found anywhere on the sealing surface of the engine block, use the following procedure to apply RTV to repair the engine block porosity. Refer to the illustration below.

Important: Clean any residual oil from the block and cover before applying the sealant in the next step.

•Wipe a small amount of RTV, P/N 12378521 (in Canada, use P/N 88901148), onto the surface using a plastic scraper to fill the porosity.
•Remove any excess RTV material, especially from inside the high pressure oil passage. Refer to #1 in the above illustration.
•The joint may be closed immediately after applying the RTV. Total joint time after the RTV has been applied must be under 20 minutes.
Important: Refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI and follow the tightening specifications and sequence.

•Reinstall the engine rear cover using a new gasket and a new crankshaft rear main seal. Refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI.
Parts Information
Important: For Saab (U.S.) only, use P/N 88861206 - Engine Oil Dye (U.S.) or equivalent.

Part Number
Description
Qty

Gasket - Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Housing

Seal, Crankshaft Rear Main

(in Canada, use 88901148)
Sealant

(in Canada, use 88861259)
Dye, Engine Oil

Housing Asm-Rear Cover
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #36
frankiecamaro@gmail.com
Frankie Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
Send a message via Skype™ to frankiecamaro@gmail.com
I have the Same issue on my 2010 Camaro SS, rear Main Seal Leak at 12K Miles. I found it after changing my Oil and they are doing the work now to fix. It sound like this is a common issue with the New Camaro.
frankiecamaro@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #37
010 Camaro SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Oil pan gasket done here...Picked up last Thursday...All WARRANTY...Everything seems o-k now...
010 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #38
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
frankie, keep us updated on what happens with your vehicle. I hope it's a quick stay at the dealer for you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #39
ss eleanor
SS Eleanor

Drives: 2010 RS/2SS Camaro
I had the same problem. Oil smell in my car. Took back to dealer who changed the oil and they replaced the pan gasket. Oil smell still their. Took car back for about three weeks. I finally took to another dealer(Ables Chevy) they called GM and found out their are problems with the seal that goes on the firewall and the hood. I was like no way. It's been two months and no smell. So maybe that could help you guys out
ss eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote