Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
rforbes

Drives: IOM SS/RS
Cats

So I have read quite a few posts about high flow cats melting and coming apart after about 25K miles or so. I had my car in the shop for some other work, so I had them inspect the cats. Sure enough they were coming apart and I was about to have a complete blockage at any time. The shop did not have any x-pipes for my setup so I had them just gut the cats until I can have it fixed. So, why put on high flow cats if they are just going to fall apart?
rforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by rforbes View Post
So I have read quite a few posts about high flow cats melting and coming apart after about 25K miles or so. I had my car in the shop for some other work, so I had them inspect the cats. Sure enough they were coming apart and I was about to have a complete blockage at any time. The shop did not have any x-pipes for my setup so I had them just gut the cats until I can have it fixed. So, why put on high flow cats if they are just going to fall apart?

Are you running LT's and high flow cats or just shortys/stock with the Solo or JBA setup?
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
who ever told you cats last for ever lied to you. your setup should have an x pipe regardless of cats...just keep the gutted cats and add a true x pipe
Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
rforbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruuzin LV View Post
Are you running LT's and high flow cats or just shortys/stock with the Solo or JBA setup?
Long tube headers with the high flow cats.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
rforbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
who ever told you cats last for ever lied to you. your setup should have an x pipe regardless of cats...just keep the gutted cats and add a true x pipe
I expected them to last longer than 20K miles. lol
Oh well, I should get better performance now.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
They don't last forever but I would be surprised to see them come apart after only 20k. What brand?
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
rforbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
They don't last forever but I would be surprised to see them come apart after only 20k. What brand?
Not sure to be honest Kelly. Another shop put them on when they put on the American Racing headers. Guess I was going to be blowing pieces out the tail pipes soon so I am glad I had them checked out.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
Anyone know a reasonable number of miles that these high-flow cats should last? I am referring to the better known brands (Solo, JBA, Dynatech, SW, Kooks, etc.).
Old 04-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:

All cats come apart under boost. Quickly. If you don't have boost I would think they should of lasted longer than 25k. Anyway I don't see any good reason to run high flow cats. Leave the gutted ones on, they will never fail you now.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Rick@MidwayPerformance

Drives: 2010 & 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
All cats come apart under boost. Quickly. If you don't have boost I would think they should of lasted longer than 25k. Anyway I don't see any good reason to run high flow cats. Leave the gutted ones on, they will never fail you now.

Not true!!! I have 61k on a set of high flow cats from Dynatech, boosted @ 11lbs, cammed, meth, etc, you get the jist, no issues with my cats. Its all in the tune, if its not perfect they will come apart. And to those that are wondering, this car has over 40 track days, most have been road course, about 6 drag and 3 or 4 auto-x, cats are still good.
Aftermarket high flow cats wont last forever but if your car is properly tuned they will live for a long time.
We have been installing and selling Dynatech's and Kooks with no issues for years, then again we have tuned most of the cars, either if we installed or the customer installed.
Rick@MidwayPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
what about high flow cats with the stock headers and tune?
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
rforbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
I do have a Maggie running 11 lbs of boost and I race quite a bit so I am sure that contributed quite a bit.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Quote:
I do have a Maggie running 11 lbs of boost and I race quite a bit so I am sure that contributed quite a bit.
it didn't contribute - it was the CAUSE...its widely known, FI? - no cats.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
it didn't contribute - it was the CAUSE...its widely known, FI? - no cats.
There's even a thread dedicated to it in the FI section.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote