Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #169
serpent

Drives: 2006 GTO
Btw is there a solid swap for these camaros?

Its going to be hard to beat a base model auto 5.0 stang for drag racing purposes at the track. Those cars can weigh in around 35xxlbs, swap rim/tires for a skinny/slick setup and remove the jack/spare, you'll probably be around 34xx lbs.
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #170
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
Op, I didnt read the the entire thread but as far as racing goes, you win some you lose some. $$$ is all it takes to make sure you are winning. However there is always someone that has put more into their build, think UGR TT Gallardo or those Alpha GTRs.

Too bad you arent a track guy, I would be tracking that 1LE, that would be fun racing against Mustangs. Straight line racing is dominated by autos/dual clutch transmission cars.

Manuals are for road courses!
The OP does both, strip and road course.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #171
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
What I can say for sure is that going from 20" 285/35 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires to 18" 305/45 NT555R DRs was a huge difference. Those Goodyears were all wheel-hop and spin. Just by adding a CAI and 18" DRs I cut my ET by over .5 seconds when stock. My wheels are 20 pound TSWs, so that helps a little. 7.6 pounds lighter with tires each than the ZL1 20x11" wheels with the 285 Goodyears.

Since my DRs are my everyday tires, I like that the NT555Rs are better in the wet than the better DRs.

While I still might be able to shave a tenth or two from my ET, I need to go bigger to catch Pat. He keeps talking about adding a convertor, but has not done it. I think he is waiting for me to get faster so he can get some close races. The problem with an 11 second car or faster in the T&T lanes is there are not many cars running that fast.

Have you thought of getting a set of Street tires and a set up for the Strip?

I am about to bight the bullet on either some NT05r's or MT's for my ZL1.. I got a 1.8 with the Michelin PSS's but hope I can get it down a few tenths maybe

Looking forward to your update with this new tune you threw on there.. Should be exciting none the less
Old 09-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #172
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
The OP does both, strip and road course.
Yes! But only once so far on a road course. My next stop in the fall is autoX.

When I do the suspension stuff done I am getting a road course HP alignment. My turbos are going to have to power us into the 10s. 6 pounds will be my track boost level.

Last edited by Fraxum; 09-05-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #173
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalopeZL1 View Post
Have you thought of getting a set of Street tires and a set up for the Strip?

I am about to bight the bullet on either some NT05r's or MT's for my ZL1.. I got a 1.8 with the Michelin PSS's but hope I can get it down a few tenths maybe

Looking forward to your update with this new tune you threw on there.. Should be exciting none the less
I do have the goodyear 285/35/20 rears. Once they wear out not sure what to get. All of the tires that fit this car are expensive as they fit Ferraris and Porsches. For now though my NT555Rs are my street setup. I think for autox I will go back to the Goodyears. The bushings will help there. The new stronger adjustable toe rods are helping to prevent wheelhop. They also are the plan when lowering the car to get a good alignment. Still on the fence about that.

Last edited by Fraxum; 09-05-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #174
JackalopeZL1

Are the nt05r's more aggressive as far as a drag tire? Or the 555's
Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #175
Fraxum

Quote:
This is coming from a New Auto Guy..lol but I have always found it rewarding to do well with a Manual on the drag strip.. Kind of a sense of achievement.
I am with you! When I get a good run it is me! Not knocking the autos though, they are consistently faster. But less of a challenge.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #176
Fraxum

Tonight my boost gauge started acting up. I think I need to replace it.

But the GFB gauge is a perfect fit on the Camaro steering column. I will try another.

Edit: There was nothing wrong with the gauge. I think I accidently recalibrated it with the engine running. This made my boost numbers really high setting off my overboost warning. Then after stupidly setting my boost warning to 0 my gauge was in overboost warning mode all the time. I sort of had to figure this out, but the GFB tech was there to help. Great support! Great gauge.

Last edited by Fraxum; 09-18-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #177
Fraxum

Quote:
Are the nt05r's more aggressive as far as a drag tire? Or the 555's
NT05R is the better drag tire. Just do not drive fast in heavy rain. MT ET streets are the best. I do have a set ot ET Streets in my garage. But they are 18/35/305. I am trying to sell these as part of a Mustang drag setup for Pat. He went with 15s. Any Mustangs here?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #178
Fraxum

Went back to the track last nite. There were not many street cars and Pat had one of or the fastest car in the lanes. He was getting kind of bored with no one to give him a fun race. That is one of the drawback of having a fast car. I was running my usual 12.0 somethings. On my last run when I lined up I had the track radio station on. The announcer said, "Here comes that fast late model Camaro." Wow, that was so cool! My TT Camaro has a little rep. So I wanted to give him a good run. I revved a little higher and gave the clutch a little extra slip. Bad move, the clutch gave out even before I traveled 60'. So the "Fast" Camaro ran a 14.398@80.51 with the clutch slipping all the way down the track. The smell!

This was not due to my reservoir being too full as I am careful about that now. This was purely my engine overpowering my stock clutch. Sigh. So this morning I arranged to have a Centerforce DYAD installed along with my tune. Can't wait to try it. So if you plan to TT your Camaro and race it plan on a dual disc clutch.

Edit: I tried it and it failed in under 1,500 miles, a very expensive mistake.

On that last run I was up against a three valve Mustang. Even though he ran a 13.748@101.15, I beat him by over a tenth because I treed him so bad (my .065 to his .860 ).

I talked to him for a while in the lanes (meeting people is the best part of drag racing). This was his first time to the track. His first run was in the 15s and by the end of the night he was well into the 13s. It was a manual, so this kid can drive! He is 18 and this is first car. He bought it from his mom! And he did all the work on it himself.

He seemed really smart. He was heading off to college to learn enough about business to open up his own speed/detail shop. What a cool plan! Envy emoticon here. I wish him the best of luck. Oh, to be young again, with your whole life ahead of you.

Last edited by Fraxum; 07-01-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #179
JackalopeZL1

Sucks about the clutch.. going to our strip tonight.. I agree it is fun bsing with everyone. .
Old 09-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #180
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
New clutch should help out for sure. Makes me wonder if yours was slipping at all during runs.

Ordered 15x10 and 295 hoosiers for my mustang. Hoping to see some solid 11.4-11.5s with the hoosiers. CAI, tune, xpipe, convertor car. Doesn't take much to go fast in a 5.0.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #181
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
New clutch should help out for sure. Makes me wonder if yours was slipping at all during runs.

Ordered 15x10 and 295 hoosiers for my mustang. Hoping to see some solid 11.4-11.5s with the hoosiers. CAI, tune, xpipe, convertor car. Doesn't take much to go fast in a 5.0.
I don't think it was slipping.

Stop making us Camaro fanatics jealous. No LTs? Does the Boss intake work on autos? (If so don't tell Pat)
Old 09-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #182
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I don't think it was slipping.

Stop making us Camaro fanatics jealous. No LTs? Does the Boss intake work on autos? (If so don't tell Pat)
Yes Boss or CobraJet intakes makes even more useable upper rpm horses on both trannies. LT's on coyotes really dont add much to the equation as they do on LS motors (maybe 5-10 at the peak over your basic or/x). Seen plenty of low 11 sec mustangs on stock Tri-y shorties. If you go f.i...then add the long tubes