Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #43
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I think some are looking at the Recaros in the wrong light. Some say that they are not as comfortable as the stock seats; This sentiment is in the same vein as saying that the ZL1 isn't as comfortable as a CTS-V or a luxury car. One must consider the intent of the seat; It isn't to provide a plush and luxurious environment. The seat's purpose is to provide a snug and supportive seating situation for road course driving that will be anything but plush and comfortable.

The Recaros are not for everyone, the same way that the Zed isn't suited for every driver. Different strokes for...well you know the corny saying lol!!!!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #44
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
Finally drove for an hour in the recaro's yesterday - had the non-recaro seats for a year.

Non-Recaros - very plush, cushy, extremely comfortable (except for me the little too much lumbar lump which isn't adjustable, but did soften over time). BIG seats, feel like they could easily accommodate any sized person. Could drive in them for weeks on end and stay comfortable.

Recaros - firmer seat and back, with solid bolstering. At 140 lbs I have a lot of room in them, but I'd imagine somewhere around 200+ lbs they might start feeling like they were closing in on you. Very comfortable in a supportive way, not a cushy way. Still feel like you could drive in them all day and be extremely happy, but not like sitting in a big lounge chair watching TV, like the non-recaros.

Someone wanting to track their car would definitely want the Recaros! DD, or adventurous weekend drives - you'll be happy in either seat.
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:01 AM   #45
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Now I can give my opinion about my Recaros. They are great looking seats and would hold you on place at the track. As a DD, unconfortable while seating or steeping out because of the high bolstering. Confortable for short commutes and after 3 hours of driving or more than that, you will hate them, not as confortable compared to the stock seats, they would not be confortable for fat people, and most females would be unconfortable on them and complain. Again, they are beautiful seats that go along with the ZL1, track focused.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:04 AM   #46
harmonyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
... most females would be unconfortable on them and complain....
Huh? Female here. Love the Recaros. Nice you understand what most females preference would be though.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #47
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
My ZL1 has standard seats, my Z/28 has Recaros. Recaro wins all day.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:22 AM   #48
jigngbg

Drives: ford
Just curious to those that have had both or used both? Would love to hear from you!
jigngbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:32 AM   #49
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyp View Post
Huh? Female here. Love the Recaros. Nice you understand what most females preference would be though.
haha, glad to hear that. My wife loves them too, no complaints whatsoever from her.

Also, to add in my own .02, I drove for almost 11 hours in these and they were fantastic, and that's with a bad back. When I ordered my Recaros, I was worried about any adjust-ability. Well, even though they may not have lumbar support, they do adjust practically every other way a normal power seat does and after playing around with them on the long trip, found the sweet spot and no problems at all.

I guess it's all about your shape/size/weight/height etc. if they'll be comfortable for you or not. To each their own.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #50
harmonyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
haha, glad to hear that. My wife loves them too, no complaints whatsoever from her.

Also, to add in my own .02, I drove for almost 11 hours in these and they were fantastic, and that's with a bad back. When I ordered my Recaros, I was worried about any adjust-ability. Well, even though they may not have lumbar support, they do adjust practically every other way a normal power seat does and after playing around with them on the long trip, found the sweet spot and no problems at all.

I guess it's all about your shape/size/weight/height etc. if they'll be comfortable for you or not. To each their own.
To the lumbar point, neither do the stock seats have lumbar. Nor do the new Gen6's. It's too bad - it's the one thing GM missed in the Camaro.

After having both seats, I really loved the stock seats EXCEPT that darned "lumbar bump". It always stuck into the small of my back, and I needed to use a pillow that I placed above it to even out my back (maybe just particular to me with old lumbar fractures from a horse wreck). The Recaros don't have that lump, and I'm fine with them. Now, I'm a bit of a seat princess, and I like a little cushier than the Recaros, so I bought a 19.99 black seat pad at Autozone, and I'm in heaven. Just enough extra cush to make my long commutes comfy as heck, and they also protect my seats.

Neither seat is perfect. Both seats are great. No doubt the Recaros look sexier, but you can't look at them with your butt planted in them.

If you already have stock seats and are fretting that you missed out on Recaros, don't. If you have them you're probably happy as heck. If you're a big guy or gal, don't get the Recaros. Going to the track and not a bug guy or gal, get the Recaros. Don't let the seats be a game changer for enjoying this fantastic car. The ZL1 is flippin amazing.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #51
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
To the lumbar point, neither do the stock seats have lumbar. Nor do the new Gen6's. It's too bad - it's the one thing GM missed in the Camaro.

After having both seats, I really loved the stock seats EXCEPT that darned "lumbar bump". It always stuck into the small of my back, and I needed to use a pillow that I placed above it to even out my back (maybe just particular to me with old lumbar fractures from a horse wreck). The Recaros don't have that lump, and I'm fine with them. Now, I'm a bit of a seat princess, and I like a little cushier than the Recaros, so I bought a 19.99 black seat pad at Autozone, and I'm in heaven. Just enough extra cush to make my long commutes comfy as heck, and they also protect my seats.

Neither seat is perfect. Both seats are great. No doubt the Recaros look sexier, but you can't look at them with your butt planted in them.

If you already have stock seats and are fretting that you missed out on Recaros, don't. If you have them you're probably happy as heck. If you're a big guy or gal, don't get the Recaros. Going to the track and not a bug guy or gal, get the Recaros. Don't let the seats be a game changer for enjoying this fantastic car. The ZL1 is flippin amazing.
That's one issue I have too, hard to find seat covers for the Recaros, at least covers that I like and are moderately priced.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #52
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionX86 View Post
Does one seat weight less than the other? That's another factor I'd consider. I do like the look of the Recaro though.
Not sure about ZL1 standard to ZL1 Recaro.....

But 1SS/cloth power seat to Z/28 Recaro w/power back (manual height /slider) were the exact same weight when I swapped them.

-Matt
Old 03-03-2016, 06:28 AM   #53
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Unhappy

Quote:

Hi Harmonyp, Please share a picture of the black seat pad from autozone, my wife and I just came back from a 3 hour drive and fell very tired of driving on those seats, they are better for short commutes, also while waiting for someone trying to have a rest on them, no way you can get confortable. I love to drive my ZL1, but next long drive from now on would be on my Accord. Too bad. We did not felt that tired when we did long drives on our prior Mustang with stock seats. But the ZL1 Recaros really look great just no more long drives on them for us.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #54
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I've had 3+ hr. drives in the Recaros, and again I did not have an issue. Everyone is different though. I felt comfortable the whole time. While I don't call myself fat, I'm not exactly a lightweight either (some may beg to differ lol!!).

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #55
harmonyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Hi Harmonyp, Please share a picture of the black seat pad from autozone, my wife and I just came back from a 3 hour drive and fell very tired of driving on those seats, they are better for short commutes, also while waiting for someone trying to have a rest on them, no way you can get confortable. I love to drive my ZL1, but next long drive from now on would be on my Accord. Too bad. We did not felt that tired when we did long drives on our prior Mustang with stock seats. But the ZL1 Recaros really look great just no more long drives on them for us.
Seat pads I was talking about are extremely simplistic - just throw it on (and loop elastic over back) while driving, then leave, or pull it when you exit.

You might also think of neoprene seat covers. Wet Okole and Coverking are the two main brands. I have Coverkings on the Dually, and the extra padding is welcome. Besides with a seat cover, you can sneak extra padding under there without it looking goofy.

After putting 4k miles on my car, I no longer use any seat pad. Not sure if the seats are breaking in, or I'm just used to them now, but I drive 2 hrs a day in them, and never have any discomfort of any kind.
Attached Images