Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #99
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for saying this, but I think a lot of the reason is, the ZL1 underperformed based on it's numbers. For acceleration at least, not really for handling, braking or anything else. For the power it had, it should of been trapping 120-122mph, not 117-118. A lot of people that dyno-ed the car were showing results that made it seem like the car made less than 580hp. I know that's not exactly an accurate way to measure because different dynos vary greatly, but just look at trap speeds then. Those don't lie. While some were trapping pretty good, a lot of the time, they just weren't trapping as high as they should. Other cars with less power and the same or more weight were tested to trap higher than the ZL1. That's just my opinion.

I'm ready, let me have it.
Good point.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #100
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Impressive.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #101
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Can't wait for it to hit the lots so I can check it out.. And trade my Mustang in. I'll make sure to weigh it along with my buddy's GT PP.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #102
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for saying this, but I think a lot of the reason is, the ZL1 underperformed based on it's numbers. For acceleration at least, not really for handling, braking or anything else. For the power it had, it should of been trapping 120-122mph, not 117-118. A lot of people that dyno-ed the car were showing results that made it seem like the car made less than 580hp. I know that's not exactly an accurate way to measure because different dynos vary greatly, but just look at trap speeds then. Those don't lie. While some were trapping pretty good, a lot of the time, they just weren't trapping as high as they should. Other cars with less power and the same or more weight were tested to trap higher than the ZL1. That's just my opinion.

I'm ready, let me have it.
The tranny is inferior to the a8.

Also... The shafts and housing etc is pretty beefy. More drivetrain loss. It's more like 550 hp vs 475 essentially. 400 +lbs lighter. Faster shifting. So it will come close to the zl1

In my opinion 12.3 @ 116 is right on looking at gms rating of 12.9 for the 5th gen ls3. 30 hp and -200 lbs= half second every time. Compared to l99 it's a 55 hp gain and new tranny. Looks all legit to me...

I expect mags to be right in that area and private owners to surpass it.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #103
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Couple things I'd like to see now that numbers are starting to show up:

1) F/R weights/percentages. What's the weight balance front to rear for all three non-vert models. (Because verts just add weight, so not really interested)

2) Which suspension was on the car that generated the skidpad numbers, Regular or MRC? (And would like to see the skidpad numbers for the other suspension that wasn't used in the test).

3) Can the chassis bracing used on the vert also be used on the coupe? Because... stiffness matters.

I can't say I'm in love yet... but it's a strong crush!!!

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #104
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Can't wait for it to hit the lots so I can check it out.. And trade my Mustang in. I'll make sure to weigh it along with my buddy's GT PP.
I'm gonna have to sell privately. I'll get screwed if I try to trade in my 2014 GT500 for an SS. It's worth more than what the SS will cost, no way will the dealer give me an SS and money lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
The tranny is inferior to the a8.

Also... The shafts and housing etc is pretty beefy. More drivetrain loss. It's more like 550 hp vs 475 essentially. 400 +lbs lighter. Faster shifting. So it will come close to the zl1.
The drivetrain loss must have been crazy on the ZL1. A lot of them dyno-ed under 500rwhp, some as low as 460, which is crazy.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #105
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
GM lies, always. Until independent verification of those weights, hold off on the meme.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #106
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Man, i wish my GenV RS had that weight savings...i would be in the 11's !!

Can't wait to see one of the blue Gen6 in person! Unfortunately the guessing game will continue til we see what will be for 2017. ZL1 specs or SS with upgrade motor option.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #107
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Couple things I'd like to see now that numbers are starting to show up:

1) F/R weights/percentages. What's the weight balance front to rear for all three non-vert models. (Because verts just add weight, so not really interested)

2) Which suspension was on the car that generated the skidpad numbers, Regular or MRC? (And would like to see the skidpad numbers for the other suspension that wasn't used in the test).

3) Can the chassis bracing used on the vert also be used on the coupe? Because... stiffness matters.

I can't say I'm in love yet... but it's a strong crush!!!

--kC
I would think they'd use a base car with no options (other than the automatic) for these tests, but I could be wrong. Or they'd have a little disclaimer *with MRC or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
GM lies, always. Until independent verification of those weights, hold off on the meme.
Not sure if serious.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #108
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
Not sure if serious.

lol, couldn't resist
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #109
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
So throw on some better tires and the 6 piston brakes and we have a GT350R fighter? Just like the last 1LE vs Boss 302.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #110
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
I think 12s will be just out of reach for the bone stock v6 hero time if GM is rating it at 13.5. .6 tenths of a second is a ton to shave off. For example the 5th gen SS is rated at 12.9 from GM and the hero time is 12.58.

Damn impressive... Just barely behind a 6 speed ls1. Which is spot on looking at power to weight etc.

I really want to drive both the v6 and 4 banger for the fun of it. The 6 compares nicely to the ls1 stock for stock and the t4 compares nicely to the original lt1 4th gen.

It's absurd lol

The 6 and 4 will probably sell great once people drive them. They really perform well
Yep. Performance from the lower tier models is outstanding. I don't think the stock V6 will approach 12s (maybe see some 13.3 - 13.6 in the hands of owners, but then again, we don't get many people that run the 1/4 in their bone stock V6s, so these will be hard to come by). But I do think the V6 with basic mods and a tune and tires could crack the very high 12s...low 13s for sure. Can't wait to see.

That 2.0 is going to be a rocket.

I'll never come close to using full performance of my SS lol....makes me wonder if really just wasted extra money on performance I'll never use. NAAA!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
If you are talking about the more traditional pony car buyer then yes the turbo I-4 and V-6 is if you don't care about performance.

However if this attracts a different demographic (for the turbo I-4 Camaro) expect to see 2.0T Camaros pushing about 600BHP.
Any talk of the 2.0T or V6 not being for "performance minded" drivers is just non-sense at this point. All of these cars are going to be quick and fun to drive...period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Very nice. Put some tires on them and you'll see some serious improvement in braking and lateral Gs.
Right on...can't wait to see someone do this one change and test it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Interesting. So adding 30 HP and dropping a little over 200 lbs means an increase of like 0.8 seconds on the 1/4? Maybe the new tranny is working miracles or something. Those numbers seem almost too good. It'll be interesting to see if the magazines can replicate this.
You are forgetting the 8 speed auto, and its super low gearing in the first couple gears. If the car can hook up well at all, its going to pull very hard.

Its 55HP, more low end TQ over 200 pounds lost, and an 8 speed over a similar L99 Camaro. That's a nice jump there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
About right where you've been thinking/hoping all along.

Yes...thanks! You won't see me gloat about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Make sure to weigh it with a half tank or less lol....that's how the "others" do it.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #111
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Also appears the driving impressions embargo is in effect until Oct 16th (*now marked on calendar).

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #112
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
So throw on some better tires and the 6 piston brakes and we have a GT350R fighter? Just like the last 1LE vs Boss 302.
Definitely not GT350R fighter. No way.

But 1SS with tires, and MRC may be closer to base GT350 performance on the track than some think.

Too bad I doubt we will ever see a legit comparison of that.

I think if GM gives us a "1LE" like package, that adds either the MRC or more track oriented suspension, wider rims with better tires, and more downforce we will have a base GT350 fighter giving 98% of the performance for 5 - 8 grand less.