Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #43
Jcornwall

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Willy1 View Post
im condiering getting one as well which would be used for a daily, have a grand sport vette for the second car

My only concern is the MPG's i know it adds up fast and i might start to resent the car after a while

bump to the top for some new replies
If you are concerned with MPG then this isn't the car for you. I used to have a 60 mile/day commute and i used a quarter tank a day. BUT, i did not regret one mile of it. This car is about smiles per mile. It is well worth the not so great MPGs. I now have a 30 mile/day commute and my average MPG is 16 with longtubes, cat delete, and CAI.
Jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #44
Pogoattack84
Shred Till I'm Dead

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Willy1 View Post
im condiering getting one as well which would be used for a daily, have a grand sport vette for the second car

My only concern is the MPG's i know it adds up fast and i might start to resent the car after a while

bump to the top for some new replies
Depends on the mods your planning to do if any and how far you drive everyday.

I have a ton of stuff done but I also only have a 10 min drive to work everyday and quick access to both 93 and E85 close by.

My wife has tried to get me to get a cheap daily and I refuse! This car is just too much fun to drive.

Every time I don't drive it and I see a car that is acting like their you know what doesn't stink I get bummed that I can't flex on them a little bit.

Mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Stainless Works 3" Exhaust, 1-7/8" Stainless Works LT Headers, 2.55 Griptec Upper, Metco Damper, 9.1" Metco Lower Ring, Metco Solid Isolator, Metco Idler Relocation Bracket/50mm Idler, Texas Speed Heads/Pushrods/Springs/Retainers/SS Valves/Custom Grind Cam, ARP Bolt Kit, DMS Auxiliary Fuel Pump Kit With Flex Fuel Sensor, ID1300 Injectors, Lingenfelter Dual Fan HX, Lingenfelter 160 Degree Thermostat, DMS Expansion Tank

Tuned By Matt at Dedicated Motorsports - 750whp on E85 - Mainline Hub Dyno
Pogoattack84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #45
GONMAD510

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
If you are worried about MPG... forget about getting a ZL1 to drive daily. I average 9MPG and I don't worry about it at all. It puts a grin on my face every time I drive it and I would not change it. And i do drive it daily.
Fast 850cc Injectors, ATI Balancer, 8.66 Lower Pulley, 2.55 Upper Pulley, Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT with cat delete pipes, Noweeds Exhaust Cutouts (extremely loud under full throttle), BTR Stage 3 Cam, BTR Platinum 660 Valve Spring Kit, TR7ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Lingenfelter Solid Isolator, 160 Degree Thermostat, Larger SC Coolant Reservoir with Hose Relocation Kit, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Racing Brake 2 piece rotors front and rear, Starkweather Performance Custom Dyno Tune on 91 Octane.

691.38 RWHP
630.35 RWTQ
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #46
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
About 60 miles a day here (and also about 1/4 tank a day)! (Love every minute of it.)

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #47
12oclockshadow

Drives: 2012 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONMAD510 View Post
If you are worried about MPG... forget about getting a ZL1 to drive daily. I average 9MPG and I don't worry about it at all. It puts a grin on my face every time I drive it and I would not change it. And i do drive it daily.
Its hard not to be into boost on these cars. I tell myself play it cool lol all the time. Next turn there i go. Im on 93 tune. Get about 12 in city. Suprising 20+ hwy just cruising though.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #48
1Willy1

Drives: corvette z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcornwall View Post
If you are concerned with MPG then this isn't the car for you. I used to have a 60 mile/day commute and i used a quarter tank a day. BUT, i did not regret one mile of it. This car is about smiles per mile. It is well worth the not so great MPGs. I now have a 30 mile/day commute and my average MPG is 16 with longtubes, cat delete, and CAI.
Thats actually much better then my vette is getting in the city

I can barely get 175 miles per tank in city driving , I think the cam has really hurt the fuel mileage

60 per quarter tank I could deal with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogoattack84 View Post

I have a ton of stuff done but I also only have a 10 min drive to work everyday and quick access to both 93 and E85 close by.

My wife has tried to get me to get a cheap daily and I refuse! This car is just too much fun to drive.

Every time I don't drive it and I see a car that is acting like their you know what doesn't stink I get bummed that I can't flex on them a little bit.
I'm like that with my vette , I do have a Lexus for work but I've put on 14000 kms on my vette since late may

When I love a car I want to drive it all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
About 60 miles a day here (and also about 1/4 tank a day)! (Love every minute of it.)
1Willy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #49
CJ27

Drives: Chevrolet camaro zl1
I daily mine. Might get 12mpg hwy of you can stay out of it. I run mostly e85 and it uses a 1/4 tank round trip to work. About a 60 mile round trip.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #50
HEAVYMETALRED

Drives: Very Bright Red
EVERY DAY !
HEAVYMETALRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #51
HEAVYMETALRED

Drives: Very Bright Red
Yes

Every Day ! Name:  9F32BC96-884A-4249-9562-42077E900CAB.jpeg
Views: 448
Size:  258.1 KB
HEAVYMETALRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #52
nazarah

Drives: 2004 Dodge Viper
Just picked mine up a week ago, but it's new my DD. Already had it out in Nebraska snow and ice this morning. It's no 4wd, but if you have some sense about you it is do able. Just have to watch out for the other people on the road too.

Might be some all seasons or snow tires in store though just to be safe.
nazarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #53
nazarah

Drives: 2004 Dodge Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty CC View Post
Once the temps reach below 45 degrees the 'vert stays in as the tires grip poorly... I have other cars I would rather have rusted out first... but come spring till winter it is daily driven even in the rain... Oh the anticipation of those days …
A fellow Nebraska person!
nazarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #54
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
I daily drove my ZL1 for 3 years. It was great but a few things to consider.

1) Tires - Stock Goodyears are at the most good for a year of driving and then will be bald. (10 -12K miles per year). When I bought mine there was few options but now a better selection exists. Also they are evil in the cold and sucky in the rain. I would plan on replacing them in the first year of ownership. I have heard good things about the BFG as a daily driver tire.

2) MPG - sucks. I averaged across three years 14.6 MPG. To put in perspective my Z06 driving the same commute is getting 17.3 MPG.

3) Out of warranty repairs. Car is spendy to replace shocks, brakes, etc. Mine was under warranty and never needed these parts but something to consider.

4) Oil changes are 8 quarts of synthetic and it really needs to be done at a dealership due to the undertray. Dealerships hate to do these cars due to the undertray. I had a decent dealership that charged $90 a change but was quoted as high as $150.

5) Parking and curbs. The rims are unforgiving to any mistakes. Bump a curb and damage. Pull too far into a parking space and you will damage the nose. It is lower than 99% of parking bumpers.

Overall the car was flawless running and I had no issues with over 31K miles on it. Would I do it again. Hell yes!! Sure there are some things to consider but it was worth those pains. Overall it was a blast and very comfortable with the mag ride and creature comforts.

When I traded my car I was at 36 months old and 31K miles. So little over 10K per year. My trade value when compared to a low miles car (3000 miles on that car) it cost me 2K in trade value.

Well worth 2K. If you can afford to operate the car.... 100% do it. I honestly don't understand those that don't drive them.

BTW I DD my Z06. I have 12K on it now. Freaking amazing DD too.
Really like your posts! You usually have a well detailed response to questions and this did help me in a way too lol. Awesome Z06 you got there brother. Those cars are fast.
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #55
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogoattack84 View Post

Fist bump to you right here love this comment I feel the same way at times since I have a friend who has a vette and occasionally someone always tries to test us. This is one of those small reasons why I want to make sure I pick the right car for me.
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #56
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
2012, 3,000 miles. Sorry but i have other cars, an SUV, and a pick up that I enjoy driving more as a DD. That being said the ZL1 is an incredible car that would be great as a DD if you live in the right area. Good luck with your ZL1 and be safe.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote