Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #57
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
I'm 49 and I have enjoyed american products for years. Back in the mid 70s I was an avid foreign car fanatic...and then over a decade ago...I drove a C5 corvette..

That was all it took and I've been hooked ever since.

American products especially GM products rock!

The new camaro is just the newest edition to american cars that are the best in class.

JMO
Old 01-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #58
miami69

Drives: 2004 Infiniti G35 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
The problem is that all things have not been equal for years, since the car magazines have done too good a job of convincing the American public that imports are good and American cars are bad.
I respect and appreciate your passion and loyalty to our country, but I don't think you can lay the American consumer's "preference" on the car press.

As a sales professional in an unrelated industry I can tell you that buyer "preference" is a KEY element that either works for or against the seller's favor, depending on whether the seller has this preference or not.

Up until the first oil crisis in the 1970's and then continuing into the 1980's, US automakers devolved from owning consumer "preference" as indicated in their domestic marketshare to where they are at today. Instead of feeding our preference with products and services that offered great value, they began to offer poorly designed, poorly built, poorly serviced products. This included a saturated dealer network offering an unpleasant consumer experience both in sales and service. The Japanese hit it right in timing, products, and service . . . indeed, they evolved to a point by the late 80's where they even took on the Germans with their luxury brands!

I went from owning American to German and then to Japanese and have bought Japanese since 1988. Today, I'm seriously considering the Camaro in large part because I experienced the evolution in American quality over the years via rental cars. This time last year I rented a Malibu, and I swore I was in a Camry. I was impressed and for the first time am open to buying American. Previous rental cars (all American) did not reach this level for me, although I definitely saw improvements with each rental experience. You should also note the two best selling vehicles are American trucks.

As far as "no American" would or would not do something . . . all I have to say is I did not abandon American automakers; they abandoned me the consumer. Now, I'm willing to go back.
miami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #59
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami69 View Post
As far as "no American" would or would not do something . . . all I have to say is I did not abandon American automakers; they abandoned me the consumer. Now, I'm willing to go back.
The issue is too many people are too willing to ignore recent progress.....You're a rare case (but a welcome one ). Now go ask a few Joe Shmoe's out on the street...they'll tell you American quality still sucks. Heck -- some lady was recently interviewed by NBC for their "saving GM special": she said she was worried the radio controls would fall off if she bought an American vehicle. I mean...are ya'kidding?? Radio controls!?

The Big Three command something like 52% market share. Technically, that's a majority. But in my opinion, that number isn't high enough based on the products of the past 5 years. And I think the reason more people don't buy American cars TODAY, is thanks to the presentations in the media like littlecammi said.

For instance, when's the last time you've read a comparison article...anywhere...that regarded an American car as the benchmark standard? If that doesn't happen in the next few years with cars like the CTS, Malibu, Traverse, etc (which are class-leading currently)...then there is something seriously wrong.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #60
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami69 View Post
w
Today, I'm seriously considering the Camaro in large part because I experienced the evolution in American quality over the years via rental cars. This time last year I rented a Malibu, and I swore I was in a Camry. I was impressed and for the first time am open to buying American. .

I'm just kidding but.........

I gotta ask...."you swore you were driving a Camry". ?

Is that a good thing? (remember I'm kidding)

the new Camaro will have over 400hp...for a little over 30 thousand dollars...

2 + 2 seating and dressed up in a beautiful package with independent suspension all around.

thats a keeper! Good decision to buy american again.

good to hear that the new malibu steered you into buying the camaro SS...

And those dumb @sses in marketing think the hot cars like the Camaro SS will steer people into Malibu's...

Go figure. I like your logic better....
Old 01-07-2009, 04:58 AM   #61
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi
I don't understand the discussion?
The Nissan is a Japanese car - no American should ever consider buying one.
The BMW is a German car - no American should ever consider buying one.
The Camaro is made by an American car manufacturer. The only valid choice of the three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGenRocks View Post
Wow that's a big statement. I don't know if I quite agree with you.

+1. It shouldnt matter what car is made where. We should judge it based on its performance etc. That said, the Camaro is by far the sexiest of the lot!