Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #43
Desslok71

Drives: 2013 SIM 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmandeep View Post
Hey Desslok71, I plan on taking my car in to the dealership on this Tuesday for its first oil change and also plan on talking to the dealer about this issue. I want to see what he has to say about this.

On a side note, I would like to ask everyone that had the HUD fail on them the following:

- Did you pull your car out of Garage and saw it was not working or was it parked outside, like in driveway or parking lot at work?
- When your HUD failed was the weather and the temperature hot where your car was parked?
- Playing something on Pandora/Bluetooth and it decided to fail on you?

The reason I am asking the above two questions is, because everytime my HUD failed on me, I was out with my car and the temperatures were 90+ with the sun coming down on it hard. The very first time it happened to me, I was so freaked out that I had pulled over almost 3-4 times on the freeway to turn the car off and turn it back on. The HUD would come up but the moment I put it in drive or played something on mylink or switched between different pages it disappeared. I really doubt if the questions I asked might be the cause, but having a fair idea of conditions and scenes when our HUD's are failing might help us find a common factor or cause for it.

If it has failed for you and if you can remember what exactly happened and what the conditions were like, please let us know.
1. I park my Camaro in the garage and I did notice any issues until i was half my through my commuit to work (~55 Miles). The first thing I noticed was the information on the display would blink in and out. Then ~ another 10 miles in to the drive was then the HUD faded out. It appeared that when the song on radio/xm/usb changed the HUD would display for a minute then fad back out. After work the HUD seemed find no issues after that so far.

2. The weather was a little humid and mid 60's. Left home ~ 5:30 am arriving at work ~6:30 am. So it wasn't to warm yet.

3. On the drive to work I was switching between FM, XM, and USB like I normally do.

I hope this helps. I am still going to report this issue when I get my oil change Wednesday.

Thank you.
Desslok71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #44
ORANGE CRUSSH
ORANGE CRUSSH

Drives: 2SS 1LE
HUD fading in and out

I have had an intermittent problem with the HUD fading in and out. If I turn on a turn signal it will come back super bright after almost fading out. It has been to the dealer once and since the could not recreate it nothing happened. I now have a video of it and plan to take it back to the dealer and have them replace the HUD. I will keep this posted with updates as to my progress. If customer service is monitoring this thread (and they should be) please chime in if this has been reported by other owners.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #45
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Please do I've always wondered what would happen if mine went out

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #46
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange LandShark View Post
If customer service is monitoring this thread (and they should be) please chime in if this has been reported by other owners.
I work in the service dept for a Chevy dealer and I haven't heard of this one before....probably a not so common issue. Customer Service has no way of knowing if there have been other reports. sounds to me like the HUD dimming switch/knob or the HUD assembly itself(although I am NOT an electrical expert, nor am I claiming this is a diagnosis) Problems that aren't present all of the time are harder to diagnose so please be patient and don't rush to say the dealer is an idiot.

Love your car btw
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #47
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Post the video here
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #48
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
I work in the service dept for a Chevy dealer and I haven't heard of this one before....probably a not so common issue. Customer Service has no way of knowing if there have been other reports. sounds to me like the HUD dimming switch/knob or the HUD assembly itself(although I am NOT an electrical expert, nor am I claiming this is a diagnosis) Problems that aren't present all of the time are harder to diagnose so please be patient and don't rush to say the dealer is an idiot.

Love your car btw
I think you got it with the switch/knob, IMO the head unit works or not.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #49
CrtRS13

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Tint 2LT RS
Orange Landshark,

I had this happen to me twice in the 3 1/2 months I've had the car. Same exact problem. If you have the turn signal on, it is on, but when you turn the signal off, it fades away again, Also if the the song info changed it would come on then fade again.

There have been a few posts from different people with this problem. Seems to be only 2013 cars with MYLink. (I assume yours is a 2013).

Just some info, Mine was built Feb 28 2013 and I have navigation. Maybe there is a common factor between the cars that are having the problem.

I haven't been back to the dealer yet since I only have 1500 miles, but I will mention it when I go.

Also I have the problem where sporadically the song info does not show on the HUD, (which a few people on here have had it happen too.) and the fan speed stays at 0 when it is clearly on. Sounds like a software glitch to me.

Here are a couple of other threads on this
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303280
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299353

Last edited by CrtRS13; 07-14-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added links
CrtRS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #50
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Happened to me too! Hud was fading in and out while steady driving. 2013 1LE.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #51
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post

Love your car btw
There was another thread that was basically the same thing. It was happening to the 2013's for the most part.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #52
Vjc834

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I bought my car July 1st and my HUD started fading out on July 6th. Took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't do anything unless it happened to them which of course it didn't. It worked fine for one week, although when I think back there were times when it was very dim and hard to see but I thought it was the brightness outside. Then one week later my Onstar buttons on my mirror wouldn't work and I was trying to get directions home. The next morning I took my car out to see if Onstar was still not working. Onstar worked but my HUD was fading in and out again. I took video of it this time and I have an appointment with the dealer this Thursday. Curious to see what they say and do.
Vjc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #53
Vjc834

When it happened to me the first time I was about 50 miles into a ride and I thought it might have had something to do with the car being hot and possibly some wiring being close to warm engine parts but the second time it happened I had just pulled the car out of the garage and it was cold. So that theory is out the window.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #54
Vjc834

Mine was disappearing with the radio off. It would come back on when I turned my car off and then back on but would fade about 10 seconds later.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #55
Vjc834

I have video of mine fading in and out if anybody needs it. Just have to figure out how to put it on the site.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #56
SMason

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red RS LT2
Mine started having this issue with the other issues with MyLink. First time I talked to the Service department told me that it must be a weak signal from XM. The next time I took it to the dealer and was told that they couldn't do anything unless they saw it malfunctioning. When I finally got it to the Service department with it malfunctioning I was told that there weren't any technicians there at the time and I'd have to try again some other time. I'm taking it the a different dealer tomorrow. I fully expect that I'll get the "We couldn't find anything wrong with it" . Both dealers say that there is no information on this problem. Chevy needs to acknowledge this problem and do something to fix it. For the extra amount of money that we had to spend for the HUD and MyLink it should work.
SMason is offline   Reply With Quote