Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Damn trucks rant

Driving on the interstate today and get forced into running over a huge chunk of tire from a truck. No way to avoid it and had a car a foot off my rear bumper. Broke the air dam, bumper cover, splitter, and marked up the passenger door and ground effect under the door. It's at the body shop waiting for the bad news.

Had I been on the bike I could have been killed. Why are re-caps even legal?
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
I feel you. I hit one at night in my 75 Cutlass and ripped half the exhaust off, scratched the passenger door, trashed a beauty ring and flattened a tire. So on the side of the hwy at 1am I had to of course change the tire as well as tie the exhaust with some wire I had in my tool box. It was late and I was on a trip and I had to stop at a friend's house along the way and spend the next day getting a new tire and the exhaust re-done from the manifold back. Good luck man.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Told my little sister to follow the semis on a trip from WA to TX. Boy did I feel bad when one blew a recap in front of her and took out the windshield of her little Mazda truck. She wasn't hurt, but only because someone watching out for her or lucky...
Old 08-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i used to drive semis,when my kids were learning to drive i drummed into them...dont get close to semis,or hang next to them longer than you have to.sent a big piece of tire right over the top of a state police mustang once.needless to say i was stopped quickly.ive seen some scary stuff,metal ,drums,etc.fly off of flatbeds.not always driver error.straps break,loads shift.we have rock trucks here that drive 70 mph on the highways and leave pea gravel in their wakes that destroys paint and windshields,even if you are 75 feet away that crap can take out a windshield before you know it.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
These situations are never a pretty site to see or be involved with. Sorry to hear OP!
Old 08-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Yep, I feel you also. I have to dodge it what seems like daily going and coming from work. Luckily I have only had very minimal damage. 3 small pin holes in the front bumper after a car in front ran over it throwing it back into mine . But that was like 2 weeks after I got the car and didn't even have a paint chip on the front yet. Talk about pissed! Good luck with repairs.
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
While we're on this ranting subject.

I really...really hate trains. I hate them with a passion. Whoever the geniuses are that run the scheduling and decide that it's a good ****ing idea to have the train run through some of the busiest parts of town during 8:00am when people are trying to work need to be seriously .... (don't wanna get banned) but yeah ... that's how I feel about them.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
14ssrs6man

Drives: Summit White 2014 2SS/RS 6spd
Why are re-caps even legal? [/QUOTE]

I agree! And, if we left are tires on the highway I am sure there would be a fine... you can't tell me they don't know when they lose one.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #9
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
The problem lies with these companies that buy and sell trailers wholesale, and don't ever check them. Drivers who could have a perfect condition tractor can get stuck with a bad trailer on certain runs because that's what the customer provides them. It is the driver's responsibility to do good pre and post trip inspections, but the companies that own the trailers have been known to laugh in their face if they tell them a tire needs replaced. Not saying there aren't bad truck drivers out there who cut corners, but they should be given the benefit of the doubt a bit more than people normally give them. I agree though, retreads shouldn't be legal...they only cause more problems than do good.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
"no way to avoid it" is just a cop-out for " I was way too close to the car ahead of me."
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #11
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
"no way to avoid it" is just a cop-out for " I was way too close to the car ahead of me."
Perhaps where you live, but around here, when the roads are crowded, if you leave room for a car to fit in front of you, a car will.
That is a major fail for the adaptive cruise control systems.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #12
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
I work in the trucking industry and I have no problem with recaps. That said I have a problem with companies that save money buying the cheap recaps. Unfortunately it's all about the mighty dollar. Why pay $200 for a quality recap when one can be had for $125. That's the world we live in. Cheap cheap cheap. Another big problem is the mechanics that let dry rotted/ripping caps pass. Or uncertified trailers which can have any safety issues and it doesn't matter. as long as you have the yellow plate you can move it anywhere.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #13
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Why are re-caps even legal?
Agreed - never ceases to amaze me how much of that hazardest trash is all over the roads.

I hope things work out for the best getting your Camaro repaired.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:31 AM   #14
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote