Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Matching OEM paint

After speaking with my dad recently about my wishes to have my ground effects painted to match the body color, he has offered to paint them/start showing me how to lay down automotive paint. He stripped his old truck down about a year ago and repainted that entire thing. It turned out amazing, so I am not worried about the actual painting process being an issue.

However, he did stress that I need to find a matched paint, as he wasn't comfortable mixing up anything to match. My question is, what have other people on here used brand-wise that has come out matching the factory paint well? My car is a 2010 camaro with Aqua Blue Metallic paint. Don't need a lot of paint, so I am not really concerned with price. I just want them to match as good as possible!

Also, since these are plastic pieces....do we need to get any kind of flexing agent to mix in to keep it from cracking? Or is this typically not an issue since these pieces don't move much?

Thanks in advance!
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
It would be easier to go with a contrasting color, but most if not all shops have a scanner they take a picture of your paint with and that gives you the match.

There is also a thread here somewhere that has the factory paint codes.

Whenever painting plastic it is best to add the additive.

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
farm rat

Link

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...ht=paint+codes

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1985 IROC-Z Red
Old 06-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
go_go_gadget88

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm rat View Post
It would be easier to go with a contrasting color, but most if not all shops have a scanner they take a picture of your paint with and that gives you the match.

There is also a thread here somewhere that has the factory paint codes.

Whenever painting plastic it is best to add the additive.

Quote:
I know the paint code. I have it on my bottle of touchup from Dr Colorchip. That's not the issue. I am saying, is there any particular BRAND of paint that I can get in a matched color using that code, that works/matches the best? And what clear coat should I get? And any recommendations for additive to buy?
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
Old 06-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
It would be easiest just to go to a Chevy dealer with a body shop and buy a quart of paint from them. They will have the brand and codes to match perfect.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I have used a few spray cans from this place, and they can put it in gallons if needed for you.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...10/all-models/
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #7
farm rat

I am painting some of the stuff under my hood and I got my paint in a spray can from oreilly's

Dupont or PPG would be my choices

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1985 IROC-Z Red
Old 06-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I have used a few spray cans from this place, and they can put it in gallons if needed for you.

When I ordered their paint it did not match at all. One was in a shade of gold and the other silver.
To make matters worse I ordered their clear which turned super yellow after a year.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Go to Napa auto parts. they will mix into any size container, correct code, and tell you what additive it needs..
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
go_go_gadget88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
It would be easiest just to go to a Chevy dealer with a body shop and buy a quart of paint from them. They will have the brand and codes to match perfect.
Never thought about this, but this would probably work pretty well. I have a chevy dealer like 30 minutes from me! Will look into that

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post

Saw them but wasn't sure about how well it matched/quality of the paint and how it held up, etc.

Quote:
I am painting some of the stuff under my hood and I got my paint in a spray can from oreilly's

Dupont or PPG would be my choices
If I was just doing the engine cover or something, I would probably use a spray can. Since it's on the body, we will be using a paint gun.

PPG was one, I think, that I remember hearing a lot of good things about from people

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
Go to Napa auto parts. they will mix into any size container, correct code, and tell you what additive it needs..
No NAPA near me I don't think :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
When I ordered their paint it did not match at all. One was in a shade of gold and the other silver.
To make matters worse I ordered their clear which turned super yellow after a year.
Don't want either of these things to happen. Thank you for this information!
Old 06-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #11
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Have a friend that has been doing professional custom cars (body, mechanical, paint, etc.) for over 50 years. He swears by PPG and his cars always look amazing.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #12
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Found this http://www.genuinegmparts.com/collis...paint-touch-up

Only select paint manufacturers meet the stringent GM specifications for paint refinish systems. Extensive testing of these suppliers’ products helps ensure superior quality and exact finish. To ensure your new paint matches your original factory color and finish, look for the following manufacturers on your body shop invoice:

AkzoNobel Coatings, Inc.
Axalta Coating Systems
BASF
Cromax
DeBeer
Martin-Senour
Nexa Autocolor
Octoral
PPG
Sherwin-Williams
Spies Hecker
Standox
Valspar
Old 06-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post

Saw them but wasn't sure about how well it matched/quality of the paint and how it held up, etc.

a lot on this forum has purchased from there. and their CGM matched perfectly and has held up. I also used their clearcoat. You can look in the same link/thread that has the paint codes from an earlier post. I have only had it from a spray can, not in pint form. So I can only speak to that.

But you have some options now.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #14
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
No such thing unless you're doing small repairs like rock chips. Yeah, you're going to have to do spray outs to dial it in with a metallic color. Sorry, there's no easy way out if you want a perfect match.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote